summer time

Monday, September 20, 2010

antiqueframes

  My mother loved antiques and collected many pieces of furniture, hundreds of dishes and collectibles over the years.  A lot came from the farm where she grew up and from her aunt and uncle's as well.  I also picked up a few things from my grandmother's on my father's side and from my mother-in-law's home.   These treasures have been in my house for years, some in boxes and some in cupboards or cabinets.  Since my decorating style has changed from 'newlywed' to country to traditional cottage I have begun to dig out some of these treasures to use and display in our home.

I had two picture frames without glass that needed some tlc so I painted them Heirloom white, bought glass, mats and had 2 of my own photos enlarged to make a new look.

Here is the first frame that was spray painted gold.

It has beautiful carving all around it.

Now painted.  Much better.

A close up of the carving.

The new look with a sepia toned photo. 

This frame had been painted black and is very old. It has pretty carving on it as well.  


Meet DAISY

This is a very old print that was given to my great uncle's father in 1857
when he was 5 years old!  It is a print, not a painting, in the primitive style.  It says at the bottom
Daisy
(after Alexander Blaikley)
The frame is hand made, the glass is original with all the bubbles and lines in it, and the back is
hand carved wood with pencil writing of the different owners  passing it down the generations.
This picture is now 153 years old!
There won't be any makeover for this picture!



My version of French-style sacks.
We found these in my mother-in-law's attic - empty!  We have no
idea where they came from but I thought they'd make cute pillows
and are a conversation piece, for sure.

Glad you stopped by today.  Please leave a comment below.  You just have to sign on Google.
It's easy!

Blessings,
Pamela

1 comment:

  1. Those picture frames look great Mom! Nice work...and I love the pillows. Kind of strange they would have those bags in the house.....

    Enjoyed your blog today, as always! It makes me feel closer to home :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...