red and white Christmas

Saturday, September 18, 2010

falldecorating~beforeandafter

I love to decorate for all the seasons don't you?  We purchased new living room furniture last year so I had fun decorating around the new colour as I went from blue and rose of the 90's to sage greens and creams.

Yikes!  My how my decor has changed since this picture in 2006! 
Can you say country??  Denim blue furniture with pink roses
and dusty rose drapes!  And beige carpet too!


Here it is at Christmas that same year but, there is something new.
Beautiful hardwood flooring!  Still a bit country but slowly evolving.

Here we are in June, 2009.  New furniture ~ sofa, re-upholstered chair and footstool.
Going for a traditional/cottagey look.

These chairs are opposite the sofa.  Not your traditional recliners ~ but very comfy.
What to do with those rose drapes???

Well, in Feb. 2010 we replaced our 38 year old picture window with a new, energy efficient one.  It has side casement windows which we have thoroughly enjoyed this summer.  It's also a lower window so we can see more!  I purchased cream lace panels and a new roller blind that lets light in but not the harsh glare of the morning sun.  The vinyl fabric is woven and the colour is wheat grass.  It coordinates perfectly with the furniture and makes the room cozy feeling at night.

Here's the before picture Oct. 2006:


and here's the after Sept. 2010:



I am very happy with it but do you see the bookshelf behind the chairs?  It's a brown stained wood that I'd really like to paint white someday and have doors on the outside shelves to hide all the books.  Also, I can't get rid of my coffee and end tables and I'm not totally happy with the table between the chairs (an end table with the sides opened up) being in front of the bookshelves.  It will have to do for now.  Over all the look is warmer, lighter and cozier and I enjoy this room very much. 


Here is our dining room which is open to the living room.  We use it every day as we don't have an eat in kitchen.  I'd like to buy a proper chandelier for over the table to replace the ceiling fan light someday

The entrance to the living room.  This antique game table came from my grandmother's house. 

a vingnette on the table

The oak comode was from my great aunt and uncle's home. The lamp was turquoise and I sprayed it Heirloom white.

mini white pumpkins

The bowl is white milk glass.  The brass candle stick one of a pair that are a family heirloom.  They are sitting on a wooden tray that I painted, lined with muslin and a lace doily under glass.

This is a 'punch paper needlework' that hangs above the sofa.  It was made by a relative in the very early 1900's and was found in my aunt's attic.  I had it professionally framed many years ago.  Isn't it beautiful?

Thank you so much for reading my blog.  I hope you enjoy decorating for the seasons.  I was a little light on colour this fall with mostly creams and touches of orange and bronze. How do you decorate for fall?  Do you like lots of fall colours, leaves and pumpkins?

Blessings,

Pamela

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your makeover, the room is so cozy and homey....very good job! I too am decorating with the softer, light muted tones, and I really like the change. Your white pumpkins are perfect for your new look!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...