red and white Christmas

Saturday, October 23, 2010

the old Carleton County Court House

In 1832, Col. Richard Ketchum, Member of the Legislative Assembly
of New Brunswick, donated land for a court house and jail
in Upper Woodstock thus establishing it as the shire town
of the new county (Carleton County).

A new court house was constructed in the village of Woodstock in 1909 and
in 1911 the County Council sold the old court house and land to
Byron Robinson who used it as a barn.  It was later resold to
Frank Hayden and continued to be used as a barn.

It was pretty well dismantled inside with many artifacts going to local people.

The Carleton County Historical Society was formed in 1960 with it's main purpose
being the aquisition and restoration of the old Carleton County Court House.

The restoration spanned two decades and was officially  opened  by
Her Royal Highness, Princess Anne on June 25, 1986.







Various events are held there including the annual Victorian Christmas and
it is a popular site for weddings.

Guided tours are availabe through the week during the summer.

My friend, Carolyn, and I travelled this road past the
old court house yesterday and I asked her if she would stop so I could take some pictures
of this beautiful old building.  I was so glad I had stopped to pick up my
camera before I had left home :-) 

I would really love to visit this historic site next summer.  Here are a few  more
pictures I took while up there today.

Carleton County is beautiful with rolling hills and farms and small communities.
The main crop here is potatoes.




Woodstock is a very pretty town on the Saint John River with beautiful historic
homes and buildings, quaint shops, interesting eateries and a lot of history ~
and it is near the U.S. border town of Houlton, Maine.

I hope to return again so I can spend some time and take pictures of the
town itself.

Wishing you a beautiful weekend,

Blessings,

Pamela





1 comment:

  1. Carleton County is beautiful in the fall! One of the things we enjoyed while living there many years ago ~ the drive along the Saint John river is sooooo pretty. Glad you enjoyed your day trip~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...