spring hope

Sunday, October 31, 2010

old news

Recently, I found some old newspapers from 1949 and 1950.  They are the Moncton Times and Transcript, and The Moncton Transcript from Moncton, New Brunswick, the city I grew up in.  These pictures will be of interest to some of my readers in the Maritimes as you will recognize some of the articles from days gone by.  I do hope my other readers will enjoy this blog as well, for the vintage ads and history.

This issue shows the Royal Route that Queen Elizabeth II would take
on her tour in Moncton.  

This travel trailer park was new that year (1949) and is still going today
but much larger. 

A modern house plan of the day.

Eaton's was Canada's competition to Sears as a major catalogue and
department store with large stores in many of Canada's cities.
In Moncton it was a big employer to thousands over the years,
including me.  Their dollar days changed to $1.49 day in the 60's.
Sadly, they stopped the catalogues in the 70's and only one
store remains in downtown Toronto, Ontario.

 
This ad is interesting because the oil industry has become really 'big'
in Alberta and still draws thousands of people from Atlantic Canada
to go there for good paying jobs.

This article must be why the newspaper, celebrating Moncton's 
Diamond Jubilee, was saved by my mother as
one of the postmasters was my own grandfather (lower center).

This article is about the Free Meeting House, built in 1821, Moncton's oldest building
and place of worship.  My grandparents lived in the house next door and as children,
when we got too restless, we were sent outdoors to play.  The graveyard around the building
was where we played hide and seek.  Oh dear.  Is that sacrilege?  The building
still stands today and is well maintained and open for tours.

I took this photo of the Free Meeting House in Sept. 2008
while driving by.  It's a beautiful old building.
Sadly my grandmother's sweet old house was torn down
and the property used for a parking lot.

Have you saved any newspapers because of articles in them? I did save
the newspaper from the day each of my children was born so, hopefully, 
the would be interested in reading the news of that special day at some time in their lives. 

Have you found any old newpapers?   I find them very interesting don't you?

Have a great day!

Blessings,
Pamela



3 comments:

  1. My, that brings back some memories!
    I think Dad lookd a bit like his father! Do you? Keep up the excellent work!
    Love,
    Your Big Sister, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Sis, Yes, I think they had the same shape :-) Happy you are enjoying my blog.
    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela, thanks so much for stopping by! I'm so glad to meet someone who loves Christian music as we do! We are really excited this month to be doing all contemporary evening services. We are desperately trying to reach out to our community of people who have never heard of Christ. Pray for the Holy Spirit to be working there!!

    This is a wonderful post! I love old newspapers and have saved a few. My mom has a papers with Kennedy's death and some Vietnam War era papers. I especially love the page here with the 1958 house plan. How wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...