red and white Christmas

Saturday, November 20, 2010

the memory of an old Christmas card

My mother saved two Christmas cards from 1950, the year I was born.  These cards are very special in that they are money cards.  Do you remember receiving money cards as a child?


Each of these cards has dimes and these ones are the
ornaments on the tree,
although one or two are missing.



And money still doesn't grow on trees today!



             
In Canada, Hallmark was once called Coutts Hallmark.


The front of the second card - ornaments with little flaps concealing dimes.
So cute!


10 cents.  I wonder what it's worth today?


Sweet sentiment.



This card is from Rust Craft.  Donna, at Funky Junk Interiors,
would like that. :-)


I love the cute stickers on the envelopes.



I was looking for Christmas cards yesterday and you know, some of them
aren't very pretty or cute like the vintage ones.  I guess I'm getting
old - er and want to 'relive' the 'good old days'.  A lot of my decorating
for Christmas is with vintage things and my decor, in general, is with
the older, vintage and antique things passed on to me. 

Sentimental me and the memory of an old Christmas card.

I have most of my Christmas decorations up and will put the tree up either
next weekend or by December 1st.  There is snow in the forecast
for this afternoon and next week along with some rain so I'm hoping the
snow will 'inspire' me to get the tree from the attic and the trimmings from
the basement and put it all together to enjoy for the next several weeks.

Our choir is joining with a few other choirs this evening for a fundraiser
for the local Christian radio station - 96.5 JOY FM - with beautiful Christmas music.
This will be a great kick-off to the Christmas season!

And I see snowflakes falling outside the window right now!!

Have a great weekend.  Thanks for visiting with me.

Blessings,
Pamela

3 comments:

  1. Quite lovely Pamela--those *vintage* cards are the best!! And that falling snow is inspiring me too,
    Blessings my friend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those old cards Mom! And I love the vintage Christmas decorations you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the nostalgia of Christmas is one of the very special parts of Christmas - the older we get, the more memories we have. Let's hope that every generation continues to pass down to the next generation their memories of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...