autumn splendour

Monday, November 15, 2010

old books


Don't you love old books?  I have a couple few that I inherited from my mother and grandmother.
Mum always kept these books in the picture, in this old wood box with dividers built in. 
 I don't know what the original use of the box was but it is very solid and may have
been part of a desk at one time.


Mum also collected old eyeglasses.  I like these 'pince-nez' with the leather case.
I think they must have been very uncomfortable to wear though.



This is the outside of the box.  Yes, that is original homespun on the spine of the end book!



Several of these books are old school readers such as The Royal Readers and
New Brunswick Reader.  They are old and falling apart but I like them.



I know this next fact will date me ~ ahem ~  but when I was in early
elementary school we had the New Brunswick Readers.  They were  probably
newer editions of the ones I have as I don't recognize any of the stories
in these older ones.  Of course, we had the Dick and Jane books in Grade one and two (?)
My memory on the exact years escapes me (ahem - it does that you know!). 
 I do wish I had a copy of a Dick and Jane book.  They are hard to come by these days.

old books ~ old friends


Blessings,
Pamela






2 comments:

  1. I love old books too. I'm always on the lookout for them. I had the Dick and Jane reader in Gr 1 too - I seem to remember that as you progressed, you moved through different colour covers in that series. But that's all I can recall. The stories weren't all that riveting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Those are some great books and I love the wooden box they are in. I love old books, I have many...and two of them are the Dick and Jane books, they are my favorites. I will love them forever because they helped to make my dream of reading come true. At four I received a bible from my grandma and all I could think of for two years was being able to read it. So Dick and Jane made that little dream come true.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...