autumn splendour

Monday, November 22, 2010

sparkly, silver and cream

I am linking to White Wednesday at Faded Charm.

I am quickly getting in the Christmas decorating mode and re-did my china hutch last week.  We bought this china cabinet, hutch, table and six chairs from my hubby's aunt about six years ago.  It is American made, in the colonial style of very solid maple in a pine finish.  I would love for it to be ivory or cream coloured but that will never happen.  To 'cover' the shelves of the hutch and make them look lighter I use vintage white runners or doilies. 

For this Christmas I decided to use vintage items I have on hand that are sparkly, silver and cream with a touch of green.



This is the cutlery tray I painted this summer.  It was originally a dark stain
and I had in mind this look for my Christmas ornaments when I painted it.
The reflectors, trees and balls are vintage as is the linen runner.  The white pearl
stems in the back are newer as is the JOY hanger.  On the far right are two silver birds
with long tails that are salt and pepper shakers.  I don't know the history of them but
they are from my grandparents home.


The silver 'sweet meat' or candy dish is antique with a vintage ornament
and two antique napkin rings - one silver and one glass.  The brown and white
bone plate is from an antique shop.






This pretty green bowl is Chinese and very old, the platter has no markings and the two
creamers are pressed glass.  The glass hummingbird is minus a wing.



This shelf holds silver salt and pepper shakers, a silver baby cup with a
bottle brush tree in it, and a silver platter.  The cream and sugar set on the
right side are Sand Land from England.  The candle, wreath and plate are new.



See the silver reindeer?  It is probably from the 50's and is plastic.



The ceramic tree was made by my mother-in-law.
The top of the cabinet has twinkle lights in a cream berry garland which stays
up there all year around.
The large bowl is irridescent, hand blown, glass.  The brass candle stick
is antique as are the 'tea leaf' pattern ironstone dishes (out of view).



So, there it is.  My dining room is finished -  for now.  I am always tweaking
things and moving them around but it will basically be like this.  I love
how the sun shines in the window on to the china cabinet
making the silver and sparkly things  twinkle in the sunbeams.

I'll have a few more things to show you later this week.
I think our tree will be going up in the next couple of days.  I have
seen a lot of Christmas trees, outdoor decorations and lights already up
and turned on.  We had snow Saturday and about 5 cm. today and it looks very pretty
but there is rain in the forecast so it may disappear.

I'd like to wish my readers in the United States a Happy Thanksgiving!


Thanks for stopping by.

Blessings,
Pamela

8 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful Pam...hope I get to see it in person!! I am using lots of silver too, but not much of mine is antique ~ very pretty diningroom ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty dining room set! It looks to be similar to one my husband's parents had. You have some real treasures on display there!!

    Thanks so much for the Thanksgiving wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks nice Mom! Wish there were places up here to buy more vintage looking ornaments. I really like the green, silver and ivory ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really pretty, I love what you have done. You are like me in that you have a deep appreciation for vintage items. I love them and they feel so good to have around.
    Thank you for visiting my blog, I really appreciate your comment.
    Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look nice and cosy and there is nothing like sunshine streaming in to make a room sparkle!
    I love the pic of your grandson on the sidebar-so cute!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Pamela! So glad to see your link! Your dining room looks so festive--I especially like the twinkle lights on top of the hutch. Your painted box turned out wonderfully, and I like all your selections contained in it. I'm crazy about vintage Christmas balls! Great photos of them. Happy White Wednesday! Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cutlery tray filled with Christmas goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty dining room, Pamela! Very Christmasy in a very elegant, sparkly way! :) The twinkle lights on top of your hutch are fabulous! We got about 4" of snow down here in Michigan for the first time this season. It's beginning to look like Christmas! Happy WW!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...