autumn splendour

Thursday, March 31, 2011

it's a dog's life

One spring day in March, 2001, Mark and Jennifer (who were 19 and 21 at the time) asked us if they could get a dog.  A dog?, we said.  We'll think about it.  We'll take care of it, walk it, feed it, they said.  You'll do all that?, we said.  On March 31 the kids brought home a puppy from the SPCA ~ with our permission ~ they were going to be responsible for it after all. :-)


Here is our son Mark with Marshall on the day he came to live with us
March 31, 2001  They both look so young!

The puppy had been named Hobo by the pound puppy people because he was found wandering on a country road.  The kids decided to name him Marshall after Marshall amplifiers  ~ if you don't look at musicians and their amps you may not  know what a Marshall is :-)  

So, Marshall comes in the front door all puppy excited, fluffy white fur everywhere except his back and tail.  He's part Husky, part Lab and/or Shepherd.  It's the Husky part that's cute with his curly tail however, since they are a 'cold weather' dog, they have lots of extra fur to keep them warm.  Fur that seems comes out everytime he moves.  Fur that needs to have a major shed at least twice a year!!  I could have knit several sweaters from his 'sheds' by now!


Marshall's fluff!

First thing I said was "He's not allowed upstairs!  Take him down stairs.  He can sleep in the unfinished part of the basement".  We all go down to the family room where Marshall jumps up on the couch and pees!!  Yup.  Just marking his territory.  He was just a bit excited about meeting his new humans and maybe afraid they wouldn't like him and would send him packing on the road again.


Santa Marshall 2006

To make a long story short ~ Marshall quickly won our  my heart and within 3 days was allowed upstairs and eventually could sleep on the loveseat and sometimes, even on our bed.  Mark moved out a few years later and he took Marshall too.  Did we ever miss him.  (I did just say that didn't I?) 

One day in Feb., 3 years ago, Mark decided Marshall should have a playmate so he adopted another dog.  This sweetie is a border collie/black Lab cross which he named Buckley (not sure if it's after the cough syrup).  Needless to say, Marshall, like any child dog, had his nose 'out of joint' and got jealous and decided to take long walks down the road (ie. running away from home).  So, after having hardwood floors installed in our home, Marshall had to come back to live with us.  Yes, dog hair and toenails on our new hardwood!!!  Let's just say it lends character to the whole decor.


Marshall and baby Buckley March 2007

Now that both dogs have matured they get along very well and it is great that our son lives nearby so he can dogsit when we want to go away for a day or a week or longer!

Marshall loves the snow, carrots, treats, howling like a coyote, chasing squirrels, long walks and humans.  He's very smart and can sit pretty, shake both paws, give high fives, roll over and speak.  Yes, he's very vocal and can almost say carrots :-D  Really!


August 2008


Dec. 2009 Jennifer photographing Marshall.

I love the kids my dog.  Even though he sheds, and barks at vehicles passing and is always on the wrong side of the door, he's a good companion.  And, he gets me out walking (except when it's really cold, windy, raining or stormy ~ let's face it, I'm a fair weather walker).  Unfortunately, that's been neglected for the past while few months due to the not-so-nice winter weather.  We have been getting out a bit more lately. 

January 2010 - digging in the snow

December 1, 2010 Buckley's 3rd birthday.


January 2010 ~ Me and Marshall - we did get for a walk in the snow on a very
nice day :-)

That's the story of Marshall.  He's a 10 year old - which is 70 in human years -
so is in the senior category now.  I don't know how long we'll have him,
 but I won't go there...not yet.  He has an eye disease that will eventually lead
to blindness but he has no trouble hearing! 
He's still a puppy at heart and and pretty well keeps up with his
'brother' Buckley.  I grew to love this dog and he loves me back - unconditionally.
I hope I haven't bored you with my story of Marshall.  I just felt
like sharing his 'dog's life' with you.

Happy '10 years with us' anniversary Marshall!

Have a blessed day and if you have a beloved pet tell them Marshall says WOOF ~ Hi!

Pamela

Parting shot ~


16 comments:

  1. What a sweet dog and a good companion for you. I had a dog when the kids were little. They are always after me now for one, so one day I might have again a Marshall too....twist my arm! lol Love your dogs, they are so sweet. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a nice story and it's wonderful that your son still lives close by - I'm sure both Mark and Marshall enjoy the times they spend together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice story abour Marshall. He really is a sweetheart and is always happy. Happy tenth anniversary, Marshall. We love you!
    Uncle Richard and Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story! I'm so happy marshall has such a wonderful,and loving family.Your story would never bore me.My curtie is 14 years old!I love him more each day.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute story! Marshall is a lucky dog to have someone who loves him so much.
    Nice pics too!

    The teacup you asked about is called Blossomtime.It is a pretty pattern.

    Enjoy those walks now that it is warming up.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the story and love the pictures of Marshall through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pamela! Aww...Marshall is a very handsome young man, well, 10 year old dog man! What a sweet story too. I know how dogs can just steal your heart! We have a 10 year old mini Schnauzer and she is our little darling!
    More snow? Wow! Well, you have some very cute snow boots! Stay warm.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela,
    What a sweet story! I do not have a dog, so I don't quite get the dog in house and on the bed stuff. I dog-sat a dog many years ago, a full blooded husky and he was the most loving dog I had ever met.
    I guess I'm more of a cat person, but even cat hair drove me crazy, when I had a cat. I don't know how you deal with the hair.
    Have a great day!
    Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely, lovely post. We have three cats but something in me LONGS for a dog. Maybe one day when our children are a bit bigger.....

    Yours looks completely adorable. Lucky you!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet story! Beautiful dogs - so heartwarming!
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, love this story. The parting shot is a beautiful picture. Of course this reminds me of our dear Meshach the girl dog with a boy's name who died 18 months ago at I think age 14. We miss her but she was so old and ready to go. I still find little bits of her hair from time to time. :-) (But I don't miss the abundance I used to find! )

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's a beauty!! I have a sweet dog too - her name is Sophie. I'm hoping to get her out for more walks - soon as the latest storm is over!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'm so glad you kept Marshall, he's a beautiful dog. I love this story as we lost our beloved Ben, a Pug, last year, he was 12 and we still miss him so much! Your little Sophie is cute too! Maybe I should get another of this lovely creatures gain.
    Thanks for dropping by and leaving such nice and sweet comments, I appreciate them very much.
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is such a BEAUTY!! Oh how they can steal your heart...I would be lost without at least one 4-legged furbaby. :d Enjoy him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your story of Marshall! What a sweetie! They sure do grow on you don't they? You just can't help but love them.

    My mom has said for years, "No more cats. EVER!" that is until they recently took in a stray. My mother actually walks around carrying her while Lucy (the cat) snuggles into her neck. Hey, whatcha gonna do. Animals need love too : )

    I hope you have Marshall for a good while yet. Wonderful shot of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...