autumn splendour

Monday, March 28, 2011

march days



"It was one of those March days
when the sun shines hot
and the wind blows cold;
when it is summer in the light,
and winter in the shade"

~ Charles Dickens ~

This is the fourth 'March day' in a row here with
strong northwesterly winds and bright sunshine.
And cold temperatures 0 C or 32 F.

The March wind reminds me of an old song we sang in elementary
school assemblies from The Silver Book of Songs
called Old March Wind by Maude M. Grant ~

Blow, old March wind, blow, blow, blow!
Make the arms of the windmill go,
Flutter the clothes on the clothes-line high,
Blow our kites to the far blue sky.
Push the sail boats over the deep,
And waken the buds from their winter sleep.

I don't know if any of my Canadian readers remember this song book
which was published in the 1930's but used in the schools
in New Brunswick through the 50's.  We always looked
forward to assembly, usually on Friday morning, when all the
classes gathered in the auditorium for music, readings, awards, etc.

Good memories.

We are going to be getting warmer temperatures as the week progresses.

I hope your week has some sunny, warm days too!

Blessings,

Pamela 







6 comments:

  1. It has been a real March here for the whole month, it makes me wonder what April will bring. It is nice and above 0 in the days, but still -9 overnight. I did not sing those songs, I was in Canadian schools between 67 and 76.
    Enjoy the sun!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela, I remember now: it's a redbud. Do a image search on Google to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela! Well, don't be jealous but we've been in the 70s for a few weeks. I'm so sorry I can't help you with the song.
    Thanks for popping in to see me and I hope you'll come to my party next Tuesday
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't weather strange all over the world? It's been unseasonably hot here - almost shorts and t-shirts weather in Egnalnd. I've been lapping up the sunshine, knowing that we'll soon be back to normal!!

    Sarahxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was brought up in Australia and went to an Anglican Girl's School - we had Assembly every morning with hymns. Good memories for sure. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blog you have. I like your photos :-)

    April - greatings from Norway Where we still have snow !
    http://www.naturligstemning.blogg.no

    (my english is not so good)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...