red and white Christmas

Saturday, March 26, 2011

sugarbush weekend at kings landing

Do you love maple syrup?  On pancakes? biscuits? ice cream?  I do!  Today we went to the Sugarbush Weekend at Kings Landing Historical Settlement which is located just west of Fredericton along the St. John River.  Kings Landing is a living history museum from the 19th century and is open from late spring through fall and for special events at Halloween, Christmas and Sugarbush weekends in spring.

There were two homes open today ~ the Hagerman house and the Joslin farm house.  The farm was active with many animals to see.  And, of course, they were boiling sap to make maple syrup the old fashioned way.

An oak bucket to collect sap as they did in the 1800's.


This is a bit more modern way to collect sap in these galvanized
buckets.  A lot of operators now use plastic pipes or hose which they
run from tree to tree straight to the large vats in the sugar shacks.


The sap is being boiled in these old iron kettles over open fires.




Costumed staff roll maple syrup onto sticks to make maple candy on the snow.
A deliciously sticky treat.  ;-) 




the wood for the fires


This sled and barrel would have been used to collect the sap
from the buckets on the trees in the maple grove.






a cedar rail fence


the Hagerman house

As you can see it was a beautiful sunny day but that northwest wind
was strong and cold.  The settlement was very busy with a lot of visitors
taking in the sights.  The children really enjoyed the animals.


One could travel on the sloven wagon pulled by a team of horses
if you got too tired.


Mrs. Hagerman was explaining the merits of her 'new' cook stove.
It was good and hot but I think I prefer my electric stove, thank you!

Since I have a lot more pictures of this visit I will leave them for another post.
Can you wait that long?  I hope you'll come back to see the rest!

I have done two previous posts on Kings Landing last year - Aug. 19 and Sept 2.

I love to visit there because of the history but I am really thankful to be living in
the 21st Century with all it's modern conveniences!

Come back and see me again with Part II of my trip to the Sugarbush.

Blessings,

Pamela

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to visit Kings Landing myself, hopefully this fall!! I will be back to see the rest of the pictures - you have captured a wonderful glimpse for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evening Pamela, I had never heard of this with Maple Syrup before until I came across another blog today:-
    http://www.dailyyarnsnmore.com/mid_life_bliss/2011/03/boiling-time.html

    I will be back to see more of your pictures. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela,
    We so hoped to visit King's Landing last time we drove down East...ran out of time.
    It is still on my wish list.
    You have done such a wonderful job of depicting your Sugar Bush outing!
    Thanks for sharing!
    We have our Maple Syrup Festival next weekend!
    Blessings on your Sunday!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun to see the sap boiling in those old cast iron kettles. This looks like a fun place to go during sugaring-off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been an interesting afternoon. I have never seen the process of collecting maple syrup but remember my mom making candy in snow. Hope it warms up soon. it's still cold here. Looking forward to the next set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...