autumn splendour

Sunday, March 27, 2011

sugarbush weekend part 2

Here are some more pictures I took at Kings Landing Historical Settlement during their Sugarbush Weekend.

The Hagerman house.  Most of the homes in this village were moved
from along the St. John River in the 1960's prior to the Mactaquac Dam
being built.  The dam made the river fill up into a large lake and thankfully
the government at the time had the foresight to preserve some of these
beautiful homes.  The village is located along the same river where
most of the homes came from (a few homes were from Fredericton).

It is a beautiful trip back in time and draws hundreds of visitors
every year from all over the world.






The building through the window is one of the old one-room school
houses that used to be very common in rural New Brunswick.


Some of the work horses in the village.  That is the river (headpond) still covered
with ice and snow in the background.




The Joslin farm parlour.


Mrs. Joslin, entering her front door.


A visitor learns how to spin wool.


Tools for carding wool and winding on a bobbin.


A gaggle of geese getting a drink.


An old gate ~ note the horse shoes for hinges.


Some very wooly sheep.  One of them is even named 'Pam'!!


These are oxen.

This is the saw mill.  There is a small dam in the center with ice on it
but we could hear the water spilling over it today from the spring melt.


The Kings Head Inn.


The village church.


Maple syrup and other products available for sale at the main store.

I hope you enjoyed my visit to Kings Landing.  I hope to return again
this summer for another trip into the past.

If you would like more information on Kings Landing go here:

Thanks for dropping by today.

Blessings,

Pamela

Parting shot



8 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela, what a great place to visit, Phil and I love places like that. I will post my photo's from today ( Butlers Hard and Exbury gardens) later in the week. I am surprised to still see all your snow, the weather this weekend here has been Spring like and warm, had some rain during the night and we changed our clocks so now it is lighter later. Love Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting the process of shearing of wool from the sheep to cloth. Nice pictures and enjoyed your post.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good weekend and enjoyed your outing at Kings Landing. I especially like the pic of the saw mill....that's frame worthy. Glad you shared your pics, I will probably visit there next time we are in NB....we have family there and visit alot. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos, Pamela! I remember one year my parents pouring the syrup on to snow and rolling it on to sticks. It was a real treat! Love all the pictures, especially the one of the saw mill. I am looking forward to having my first taste of fresh maple syrup!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela these are such nice photos. I love historic homes, and I love a photo taken through a window--whether looking in or out! (I wonder why; maybe it's my curious nature.)

    It's funny on the day I put up that gorgeous blossoming tree (across the street from us) we are back to winter, cold, rainy, dreary, I can't seem to be warm after being out for church and to visit my mother.

    I don't know what kind of tree that is and I've never been able to find the name. It is not apple or Japanese cherry. I am going to ask someone who used to live in that house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela,
    I enjoy visiting Kings Landing again.We have been there a couple of times but it was years ago.
    Do they still have delicious homemade bread and soup?
    I enjoyed your spring decorating post as well-it seems I am a little behind. Blogging is fun but time consuming it seems but I agree it does help us with writing and photography.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gaggle of geese photo is spectacular. I can see why so many enjoy the visit to this historical site. It must have been a lovely experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Joslin parlour furniture and the house trim color are so beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...