autumn splendour

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

vintage tea party

Growing up in the 1950's we didn't get big fancy gifts for Christmas and our birthdays.  There were 4 of us kids and 3 of us were born within 4 years.  My baby sister who is three years younger than I, received a "Corning Ware" style tea set for a gift ~ either for her birthday or for Christmas.  I found it the other day and thought ~ this would make a different post for Tea Time Tuesday! 

Since my baby sister lives out west and doesn't have any girls, I have had her tea set  and dolls 'in storage' in my home.  When I was growing up I gave my dolls away to the church rummage sale.  I don't have even 1 of my own dolls!  I remember two of them were made of rubber which eventually cracked and had to be disposed of and I had a Betsy Wetsy doll.  Did any one else have one of these?  Then when Barbie came along I didn't get a real Barbie but a Mitzi doll.  That was my last doll ~ long gone now.


Here is the Corning Ware dish set.  The plate and tray are metal and
starting to rust.  The cups, casseroles, stands, teapot and cutlery are plastic.




The company stamp on the back says ~ Eagle Toys Limited
Made in Canada.  No doubt this set came from the Eaton's Catalogue.
The T. Eaton Company was a major department store and catalogue
in Canada for a good part of the last century.  I even worked for them
for several years!


The coffee pot even has a stand.  There are a few pieces missing
and I think there was a tea pot at one time.


Margaret's dolly.





Dolly is having a tea party, won't you join her?

I am going to join Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for
Tea Time Tuesday.

Come along to:
and join in on the tea parties there!

Have a blessed day,

Pamela



11 comments:

  1. What a cute set! I also spent lots of time at Eatons, but not working...I was over there every day at lunch as I worked in an office in the next-door building...I loved Eatons! My daughter did work there as Santa's helper (the Santa everyone said was the "real" one!)I have a few pieces of memorabilia from the store. Anyway, your posting brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the memories came flooding back! I had one when I was but a girl and played with all the time...me and my doll friends had tea and dinner with those dishes. Glad you held onto it all these years. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a memory you must have. I cannot remember any toys I had as a little girl, I am not sure my sister will either, she is in Australia. How lovely to still have all the items and they look in such great condition. I am afraid my own children don't have many of their old toys although my son did used to have all his matchbox cars.

    I am not one for living in the past as my sister and I both had a bad time, I like to live for now and my children and grandchildren and make sure the same thing doesn't happen to them.

    I love tea parties though, which is how I celebrated my 60th birthday last Summer with family and friends.

    Enjoy the rest of the week, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet post which brings back memories. I grew up in the 60's but I do remember the Betsy Wetsy dolls and the corning ware sets. I loved playing tea party and I still do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela,
    I played with baby dolls until I was 13- I guess that would make me a freak of nature in todays world!I have regretted that I gave them away along with my doll carriage as 8 years later I had a little girl of my own.
    I enjoyed seeing your childhood toys.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your tea post, Pamela! The corning ware set is just adorable and I remember those too. I had freshly bathed and dressed every doll I ever owned and put them into my mother's big trunk for safe keeping. Then one day, my little sister who is ten years younger than me, and didn't like dolls, took them all out and marked all over their faces with pen. I was so upset when I found out! I think my last doll was a Mitzi doll and she came with three wigs. Thanks for the memories and thanks for joning me for tea. I hope your week is going well.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your post and it brings back so many memories of my childhood. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So well preserved! Such a sweet little set. It does bring back many good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I really must be vintagegal ~ I had the same tea set when I was little. Ohhh brings back many tea party memories ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I lost comment mid post so I hope this isn't a repeat! I love this set for a tea post! I don't have anything from my childhood to pass on. My little sister got my dolls. And then they were hers! Boo hoo! So nice for you to keep this for YOUR sis. Makes a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea for a tea party! So nice that you still have these childhood treasures....they are very cute!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...