summer time

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

an explanation of 'grass widow'

Well, I opened up a can of worms, so to speak, when I was asked what the term 'grass widow' meant.  In my post yesterday the teacup I showed was called "Grass Widow" by Royal Albert.


I have heard the term used before and it usually is used to refer to a woman whose husband was always fishing, hunting or golfing. 

I decided to Google the term and this is what I found.  And it may shock you as it did me.

Grass Widow:  noun   A woman whose husband is away often or for a prolonged period.
A woman who is divorced or separated from her husband.
An abandoned mistress.
The mother of a child born out of wedlock.
The earliest recorded sense of the word (1528) was "an unmarried woman who has lived with one or more men".

WOW!  I had no idea that it had other meanings like this and I hope I didn't offend anyone.

I guess if Royal Albert China can use the term that it must be in the nicest sense of the definition.  Right?

So, there you go.  A little history on the term 'grass widow'.


Canada geese and ducks on the flooded intervale.

On another note, the spring peepers (baby frogs) are singing every night
in the unfrozen ponds.  I love the sound and can't wait until it's warm enough
to leave the bedroom window open at night and listen to them as I go to sleep.

We are in day 2 of a four day stretch of rainy weather.  The old saying "April showers bring May flowers" will definitely be true and I really hope May's weather is better than April's!

I'll be back tomorrow with a post about a very large animal.  Have I got you wondering?  Please come back and see.

                                                                

                                                                         Blessings,

                                                                           Pamela

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Pamela,
    An interesting phrase, Grass Widow! Thanks for looking it up. I love the sound of the spring peepers and I look forward to hearing them. I always call them my pets! My son gets to hear them up close because there is a pond right beside his place. I envy him! Have a lovely day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela! Well, thank you for that explanation. I guess I didn't think about googling it. I had no idea what it meant as I'd never heard the term before. I guess it is a kinder version of what these ladies could be called today! Still a great little tea cup! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelai ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on winning "Gone with a Handsomer Man" on Susan's blog BNOTP.It is lovely to win something like that. I won a giveaway a couple of weeks ago on Catherine's blog Le Monde de Catherine.

    Grass widow, well what I found could make the lady a naughty person and what she got up to in the grass!!!!

    Congratulations again and best wishes, Jackie in Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had never heard that term before, and would never have guessed it could mean so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of that phrase either - seems to cover a whole lot!
    Interesting pattern on the china - love the birds - would love to see a flock nearby!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Very interesting what you have learned about the term "grass widow"!
    Our weather has been gorgeous up to 19 deg. today! Hopefully the rain will stay away.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You learn something new everyday on the net! This one cracked me up! But I think you're right about the Royal Albert def.! The grandmother of a friend was a Canadian, and she was all about the most incredibly delicious molasses cookies. Is it a regional thing? Salmon sandwiches too. She held more allegiance to Scotland as I recall. Ha! ANYWAY, I enjoy your visits very much even though I don't get back to you as much as I would like. I'd love falling asleep to some peepers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela, I have a feeling that the email I tried to send didn't work. So I am leaving you a comment, with the answer to your question on Mary's blog. You can find Artful Blogger magazine at Michaels, Chapters, and Indigo here in Canada. But it's kind of expensive, around $17.00 totally worth it.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...