red and white Christmas

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

grass widow?

It's fishing season.  Somewhere.  I don't know if it's official here in New Brunswick as the ponds are just thawing out and the rivers are running high with the snow melt.  But, somewhere it is fishing season and someone  may be a 'grass widow'.

So, while the Mr. is out fishing why don't you have
 a cup of tea and
a big soft molasses cookie.



Let's have a look at those cookies.


Don't they look yummy?  I will be honest and tell you I didn't make them.
I stopped into the local bakery to buy these.  They are huge so one is plenty.

There is something special about this tea time though.   


Can you see it?  There is a fisherman on this cup and saucer.
I believe fishermen are now called 'fishers' as there are also a lot
of fisherwomen out there too. ( Not to be confused with the little animal
called a 'fisher' which we have here in New Brunswick.)


Here is a better look.


This is the bottom of the cup.  Did you ever see such a teacup?
I tried to find something on the internet about it and the rest of them in the series.
 I haven't found anything but if any of my readers have seen them
 I'd appreciate more information on the set.

I found this cup and saucer at my mother-in-law's.


The green depression glass plate came from my mother-in-law's too.
Ooops!  You've caught me nibbling.  Good cookies, I must say.


This is my father-in-law's old fishing rod and creel.  I dug
them out of the basement where they've been for over 30 years.
I love the basket and have wondered what to do with it - decorwise.
Any suggestions?


I hope you have enjoyed my unique teacup tea time today and hope you will
join Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for Teatime Tuesday.
unique teacups today.

Thanks for stopping by.

Blessings,

Pamela


16 comments:

  1. Hello Pamela,
    thank you for visiting and leaving that nice comment. Your tea time is really very unique but so enjoyable. What a fun to have this tea cup and to use it in that supposed manner. I have never seen this before, also. But you decorated it so nice with the fisher accesories of your father and I must say, the molasses cookies do look very yummy. I enjoyed the visit at your tea time very much. Have a wonderful week.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the teacup, very different and unique, let us know if you find more in the series. Cookies look delicious, may have to head out to our local bakery. Have a great week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela! I've never seen a tea cup like that and now I'm wondering what "Grass Widow?" means! If you find out anything about this, you'll have to let us know. Oh, yes, I love cookies. I'll just take one, please! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela ~ Love that tea cup and the vintage fishing basket. I'll have a cookie and a cup of tea ~ thanks for the tea time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting teacup! And a clever post. Love that basket--you will have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed when I saw the design on the cup. Seems correct to have a gone fishing cup for those left behind when it's fishing season! Fun! I love molasses cookies. happy tea day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grass widow? I thought it was going to be about golfing because at times I am a widow to that. That's OK with me because he sometimes a prim widower! LOL

    What a fascination tea cup! Perfect for the occasion. And the old creel is gorgeous, surely you can hang it on a peg somewhere!

    Enjoy that tea and cookie Pam - I enjoyed your post!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely teacup and saucer, Pamela! What to do with the creel, well, I have seen it hung on the wall with a huge bunch of small yellow arranged in the top of it with the lid open, providing a backing for the tops of the flowers. If I can find the image I will email it to you. Or you could sit it in a vignette, the patina of the old basket weave is lovely.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my NB friend. That is a unique teacup as I've never seen one like it before! I'm sure someone out there must know what the Grass Widow stands for. Your molasses cookies look like ones I make. I haven't made them for a while and now I'm craving! The fishing basket reminds me of one my Daddy used to have. Great post! Thanks for sharing and joining me for Tea Time. {I fixed your link for you.}

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely cup and saucer and I love the clever way you included it into your post. I would love to have a cup of tea with you, with a little milk please. I will have to be very good and say no to the biscuit as I really must lose weight!! Very hard for me as I have a sweet tooth, any ideas?

    Have a good week and thank you for all the lovely comments you leave on my blog very much appreciated. Jackie in Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful teacup! I have never seen one like that before. A very nice tea and fun post! have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey girl...that cup and saucer is so unique..never seen one like it...the Burlys fish..hunt...golf..it's a case of Burly Widows! lol Love that old fishing basket...I have daddy's old coon hunting horn hanging above my mantel...thanks for coming by sweetie...have a great week...Picket

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty cup and saucer. Just perfect for a nice cup of tea!! And that basket caught my eye too!

    I hope you had a wonderful Easter. He is risen!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been having too many ginger cookies this weekend. i use the Rankin's family recipe so it always makes a lot and they are delicious. Your teacup is one of the most unusual I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your post Pam....love that basket! And, I love those cookies too, I'm pretty sure I know where they came from ;-) Very unique tea cup also, I have never seen one or heard tell of one, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...