red and white Christmas

Friday, April 29, 2011

a royal wedding and water through the dam

Did you watch the royal wedding this morning?  I did.  I got up at 5:00 and watched the whole thing right down to the kisses on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.  Wasn't it a beautiful wedding?  Prince William and Catherine are a beautiful couple aren't they?  I wish them every happiness!




Mactaquac Dam

After I watched the wedding I got ready to go to the city for errands. 
I decided to go over the dam
to see the spring runoff pouring through the gates.


This dam was built in the 1960's across the St. John River between Kingsclear
and Keswick Ridge and near Mactaquac.  The water behind this dam is called
the Mactaquac Headpond and it goes for miles upriver like a wide lake then
it narrows back to a river as it goes all the way into northern Maine.


The gates are opened to allow water to flow through and on down the river
all the way to Saint John on the Bay of Fundy.  However, there is often flooding
below the dam especially in the Fredericton area, due to the heavy spring run off.
We have no snow in the southern half of the province but in the northern reaches
of the river, into Maine and Quebec there is a lot of snow yet to melt and it
all flows into this river basin and down through the dam.


The roiling water at the base of the open gates.


To gain perspective of the size of this dam note the 18 wheeler transport
crossing it.


This is a view of the Mactaquac Headpond taken from the other side of
the dam and looking up river.  Isn't it beautiful? 


These are some of the towers that carry the power lines across the province.


This is the Keswick flats or interval just a couple of miles below the dam.
These are fields that flood every spring and the water often covers the road
that I am driving on.  It's a weird feeling to drive that road with the water
lapping at the edge of both sides!!

My friend, Lois, invited me to lunch today before we went to town.  She had 5
of her friends over at 6:00 this morning to watch the royal wedding.  And,
they each made a 'Facinator' hat to wear!  This is her hat.
Isn't it gorgeous?  I think she did a fabulous job.  She got her flowers
at Dollarama.  I'd hate to think what some of those at the wedding would have cost.
Another of her friends made them each replicas of the royal engagement ring
that you see on her hand!   Isn't that fun?



Of course, I had to try on her hat too.



It was a beautiful day from start to finish.  I witnessed history in the making with the Royal wedding.
 The sun was shining and it was 20 degrees celsius, the first really warm day this season. 
I saw the power of water going through the dam.
And, I had a lovely lunch and afternoon with my friend.

I hope you had a lovely day too!

Blessings,

Pamela



4 comments:

  1. yep...up here too..2 am though:)...my (tomboy-sih) girl wanted to so I wasn't about to miss it...sweet!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fun day. I watched the wedding too. Not the first part though b/c I didn't get up until 6. Very regal and elegant. I wish them the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to have a group of "fascinating" friends to tea. I think your friend would have fit right in at the Royal Wedding with her fascinator. The rings are just the right touch for a group of fascinating friends as the enjoyed an English tea on a very special day. I went to a strawberry tea at our local hospital and the big screen tv replayed the wedding but there were no guests wearing fascinators. That would have been the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative hat! I love it.
    Wasn't the Royal wedding something? So interesting to see. We don't have a TV, but I was at a hotel and I got to see it there, only reruns, though, I needed my sleep. I was at our Ladies Retreat in Kenora, so I had a beautiful day, I made some new friends and I wore my new outfit!
    I love your photos of the dam, it would be wonderful if you could somehow make your photos larger on your blog. They are amazing when they are enlarged, but most people go through a blog so fast that they don't take the time to click on them! Gorgeous photos, though! I loved them.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...