summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

butterfly gold

Spring is here, sort of, and the butterflies will be winging their way around the yards and gardens from flower to flower.  Our weather has been terrible ~ rain, rain and more rain.  I'm hoping that means we will have a sunny and hot and dry summer.

When hubby and I were married in 1977 Corelle dishes were getting very popular.  We received 3 sets of Pyrex mixing bowls ~ 2 in the avacado pattern and one in the butterfly gold.  While looking through the May issue of Country Living I found the article on vintage Pyrex.  I can't believe my dishes are now considered 'vintage' and are collectible!  It's only been 34 years! 

This is the only bowl I have left of the butterfly gold pattern and according to
Country Living Magazine, it is worth $12.00.  Can you believe it?  I imagine
the whole original set of 3 probably sold for $9.00.
I gave away all the avacado green bowls and the other 2 of this set.
I decided I wanted clear bowls instead but I'm glad I kept this one.

While we were on our honeymoon in New Hampshire (didn't everyone go there?),
we purchased 2 sets of Corelle butterfly gold dishes. They came with 4 each large
dinner plates, breakfast or salad plates, bread plates, cereal/soup bowls, teacups and saucers.


I was given other serving pieces as well, including serving bowls,
fruit nappies, platters and mugs.

I have used these dishes every day for 34 years and I think only 2 or 3
bowls were broken in all that time!  They are indestructible!
My sister and several friends have the same dishes.

I have thought of giving them away several times lately and purchasing
new dishes but I have been liking them more and more.  I guess I'll be keeping them.


They are kind of pretty and now they are 'vintage'.  And I love vintage things!

I want to say a big THANK YOU to all of you who responded to my post about
kitchen sink choices.  I am overwhelmed with the responses and advice.
I am still undecided and will be going to look at sinks this week and asking
more questions.  The reason we are getting a smaller sink is to accomodate
a full size dishwasher.  I looked at the apartment size ones and they are only
18" wide with barely enough room for 4 place settings.  So, I can live with
a smaller sink.  I like the suggestion of a single wider and deeper bowl sink
but am leaning toward the sink and a half, if it will fit in a 30" cabinet.

Many thanks for your help.  I appreciate it so much.

The weather girl on the news just said we may see some sunny breaks for the
next few days and warmer temperatures.  YAY!  There will be butterflies
flying around after all.

Have a great day.

Blessings,
Pamela

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela! Isn't that something your pretties are considered vintage now! I love them and the pattern is really rather timeless!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sister! I'm really "vintage" now. We have been married 47 years at Christmas and I still use these every day!!
    Love,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela,
    I had those same gold butterfly dishes and gave them all away to get the green vine with blue hearts pattern {I forget the name of the pattern} for every day. I have two sets of china that I could be using for every day but I always seem to go with the Corelle probably because I don't have to worry about breaking them. I still have two 'vintage' Corelle mixing bowls from my first baking dishes. They are both in gold.

    In answer to your question about a sink; I would definitely go for a large and smaller one. The smaller I suppose would go on the right side as I am right handed and my plates and other dish ware are to the right of the sink.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Pamela, several months ago I got my first set of Cinderella bowls in the Butterfly Gold, and I LOVE them! I also got a couple casseroles and a refrigerator dish. I LOVE this pattern and I hope to get more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, here's a trip down memory lane - I too had these butterfly gold Corelle dishes way back when. I still have the nesting Pyrex bowls (orange/red and white with pattern) received at a wedding shower and I've seen the same ones and other dishes I have in an antique store.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got the same bowl, and we went to Vermont for our honeymoon but had to drive through New Hampshire to get there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to New Hampshire, I feel like I have missed out!:D I would love to go there.
    I think my mom had those dishes many long years ago, they are a timeless color and pattern, though. I'm glad you still have yours!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela,
    Ha... everything always comes back in "style" :-)
    Have fun sink shopping, I am trying to figure out cabinet colors, I am keeping my uppers and they NEED paint!
    Thanks for stopping by:-) Twiggy is an Itaian Gtreyhound (toy size) I have four boys and he is really small... 7.5 lbs, I think he has full size ears though:-) If he were a girl I woulda named him Fawn, cause I thought he looked like a deer too:-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...