spring hope

Monday, May 30, 2011

lily of the valley tea cup

This post is in memory of my dear mother who would have been 96 today
and in honour of my mother-in-law who turned 94 on the 22nd ~ both May babies.

I love lily-of-the-valley.  I planted some along the foundation of the house and it
has spread all along it and outward under the cedar tree.  I have to pull it out
to keep in under control.

This teacup is by Royal Albert and is called, appropriately, Lily-of-the-Valley,
for the sweet month of May.

The flowers are dried lily-of-the-valley.  I had to set up this tea last week before
the lilies bloomed as I had to pack away my china cup and saucer.


The little creamer is by Minton.


I picked 2 sprigs of lily-of-the-valley and as you can see they aren't open
yet but they are still sweet and dainty.


I love the tiny bell blossoms and their sweet scent don't you?



Our May days are almost over and we look forward to a new month ~ June.

My kitchen will be taken apart tomorrow ~ no cabinets etc. for over a week!
I'm excited and anxious all at once.  I'll let you know how it's going and
take some pictures of the progress.  Stay tuned!

Thanks for joining me today and I hope you'll join Sandi for Tea Time Tuesday

Blessings, 

Pamela 

12 comments:

  1. Dear Pamela,
    I absolutely love Lily-of-the-Valley and your lovely tea cup is no exception. Those tiny bell blossoms are so sweet and fragrant. What a pleasure it must be to have them around your home. The unopened ones are adorable too!
    Thank you for joining me for tea this week and I can't wait to see photos of your kitchen reno.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen will be great, but it is uncomfortable while it is being done I'm guessing. Such a lovely teacup. I think I have the July one. Love the china, that rings when you (lightly) tap the rim with a spoon--the prettier the sound the better the china my grandmother said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a May baby too, and have that very tea cup and saucer. Last week my daughter's boyfriend brought me a bouquet of Lily-of-the-Valley from his mother's garden. The smell was intoxicating, and I moved the vase from room to room with me.
    Good luck with the reno!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, lovely cup and saucer. I have never thought of drying lily of the valley, I will have to do that next year, it has all died in the garden now. I did pick some when it was in flower and have it in small vases as the perfume is so lovely.

    Hope all goes well with the kitchen make over, looking forward to seeing the photographs.

    Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a nice way to remember your mother and mother in law. My mother loved lily of the valley as well and when I grew up we had plastic lilly of the valley in a little green florist's vase in the middle of our table year round. It grew so well creeping everywhere along the house but I've tried here and our clay soil must not be right. I see 3 to 5 leaves every year and once or twice a stalk of flowers. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela,

    Your Lily-of-the-Valley china is gorgeous! My flowers just bloomed and the fragrance was heavenly. Good luck with your kitchen makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lily-of-the-valley's too, I have them growing in my gardens as well....they are in full bloom now. Low the teacup, very elegant - just like the perennial. Looking forward to your kitchen renos. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet post! My daughter is a May baby so I'm fond of this. Can't wait to see your kitchen redo. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful Post! I "LOVE" lily of the valley. It's my favorite fragrance for perfume too. LOVE that cup and saucer. It also reminds me of My Mom who just celebrated her 87th birthday on May 28th. I think it's a wonderful month to have a birthday! Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pamela! Oh, what a beautiful tribute to your mother and a lovely honor to your mother in law! My son is a May baby too. The lily of the valley is so pretty!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful tribute to your Mom and Mother-in-law. My mothers birthday was also in May and one of my sons was born in May. The lily of the valley is so dainty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Love that dried sprig of lily of the valley! Lovely teacup, and a nice way to remember your Mum. Best of luck with the renovation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...