autumn splendour

Friday, May 27, 2011

a visit to the greenhouse

On Wednesday morning the beautiful sunshine woke me at 5:30 and I couldn't get back to sleep so
I got up at 6:30!  Early for me!  This is what the view from our front door looked like.
I love it when it looks so pretty with the shades of new green on the trees and the blossoms
on the wild cherry trees.  Did you notice the fog in the valley?  Do you know the old saying
"fog in the holler brings horses to the collar"?  My mum used to say that it was the
sign of a good day to get the team out and work the fields.

Well, my best friend, Lois, called me at 8:15 and asked if I'd like to go to
Grey's Greenhouse with her.  I sure did.

We passed this


and this


to get to this!
Looking in from the road.


Grey's Greenhouse is in the countryside community of Scotch Settlement
west of Fredericton.
Brian and Bonnie Grey started this business about 25 years ago in their yard.
They had 2 small greenhouses and now have 4 very large ones and,
I might add, the best flowers and plants around!


Colourful pansies.


Isn't this beautiful?  It's so clean and neat.  There wasn't anyone else there when we
arrived but within 15 minutes quite a few cars had come.  It was our first
really nice day in a while so people are eager to get their plants potted!


A new colour of petunia called Phantom. 


My friend, Lois, talking with Brian.


Bonnie and Lois.


Just look at that colour!  Beautiful!

Customers drive for miles to buy their plants here because they are so beautiful and healthy. 
The Grey's work very hard all spring along with their staff getting ready for the 
gardening season.  They are open daily except Sunday during May and June. 

 
This is a new variety of New Guinea Impatiens called Magnum with huge blooms.
I picked up 2 of these for my vintage wicker planter that goes
on the front deck.  They'll be nice and showy from the road.


Needless to say, I'll be going back to pick up the rest of my plants on the weekend.

If you live in the area it really is worth the drive to visit Grey's Greenhouse.
You also get to enjoy some gorgeous scenery along the way.

Just tell them Pam sent you. :-)

I hope you all have a great weekend, especially my American friends
as you celebrate the Memorial Day holiday.

Oh!, the kitchen reno may start next week!  Yikes!  I still have lots of
packing to do and look for flooring and backsplash and....oh my.
I'm not ready for this.  I may not be posting on here as much for the
next week or two but I will try to show some pictures of the process as we go and
I'll definitely be doing a before and after post later on.

I'm still reading you blogs and commenting when I can
and I sure hope this problem is fixed soon. 

Blessings,

Pamela


 


7 comments:

  1. I love visiting a greenhouse in early spring. A taste of things to come. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela! Lovely post and love the beautiful flowers in the nursery! Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a fantastic greenhouse! I can't think of a better way to spend a cool and slightly foggy day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela! I've been catching up on your recent posts. You've been sharing a lot! You have a nice nursery to visit. I don't even have to buy anything. Don't you just love the hit of color for a lift? You live with so much green. But you really have to work at a garden here in the desert SW US. Watering pots in the summer twice a day or forget it. I'm the indoor type. I was amazed at how many china cups you have?? Haha! Renovations are so much work! I do love your few pieces of the blue Spode. So pretty and special. I really enjoy seeing your corner of the continent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love sunny spring mornings like that! Glad you got up early and made the most of it! Gorgeous Geraniums. I need to go out and get some more flowers for the garden as well as the window boxes we hang on our deck. Thankfully sunny days have finally arrived in New England!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for coming and for the lovely comments! You're very generous! I love this post...oh my, this flowers and your photos are fantastic! I just drooled over this visit, wish I was closer to that beautiful nursery! Have a wonderful weekend, enjoy!
    Lots of hugs
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photographs and the plants are marvellous. It Looks a great place and all that colour is very cheery!!

    Have a good weekend, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...