Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Monday, August 1, 2011

a visit to Cornhill Nursery

On Sunday after church we took a drive to Cornhill, a rural community in back of
Sussex, Petitcodiac and Havelock near Moncton.  How's that for directions.  It
was about 1 1/2 hours from Fredericton but we took some slower dirt roads.

We drove the Trans Canada Highway part of the way then the rest was on secondary
roads that were paved and also a few dirt roads.  They all passed through some of
the prettiest scenery in New Brunswick.

Sussex is know as the "Dairy Capital" for all it's dairy farms surrounding the pretty town.
They also have a good ski hill - Poley Mountain.  I should explain our so-called 'mountains'
are really just nice sized hills.  Also, there is a huge potash mine near Sussex that employs
a lot of people from the surrounding area.  Sussex is also known for its International
Hot Air Balloon Festival held every September after Labor Day.

These are the stacks at the potash mine in the distance.


We found this covered bridge off the road on a dirt road.  It is named
Smith Creek # 5 Oldfields 1910 - making it 111 years old!

A flock of sheep grazing in the field.


After taking some paved roads, dirt road, mountain roads and through pretty valleys we
arrived at the Cornhill Nursery and Cedar Cafe.


This is the Cedar Cafe that offers light lunches and beverages.

The whole Nursery is located on a hillside in an idyllic setting.  They grow thousands of
plants, trees and shrubs.  I came home with a daylily - my first - called American Revolution.


The gorgeous view and lovely gardens.




This is under a huge arbor with grape and other vines growing up the cedar posts.
It is outside the cafe and one can sit here and dine or just rest in the cool shade.


This table is built from large slabs of stone.  They always have flowers arranged on top -
in this case, lilies and roses.  That's my hubby in the background.


There are so many beautiful gardens and pathways here that I can't show them all.
This one is in an area of several 'secret' gardens all connected together.  The roses
were still blooming as were the lilies.  Beautiful!


I'll end today's post with this beautiful peach lily.  I don't know what variety it is.

One could spend hours here just wandering the gardens, enjoying lunch in the cafe,
sitting in the sun taking in the view, or sitting under the cool arbor on a hot day.

For more information on Cornhill Nursery please go to their website at


I'll be back soon with more on our daytrip to beautiful Kings County, N.B.

I hope you'll come back.

It is the New Brunswick Day holiday here today so we are enjoying this sunny, hot day.
I believe it's supposed to be quite rainy for the next few days.

When you are visiting I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a comment so I'll know you were here.
Thanks so much.  I enjoy hearing from each one of you.

Blessings,

Pamela




10 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela, lovely post. Seems funny seeing you write about Sussex as that is quite a big county here and we are going there next Sunday to visit Friends. The garden centre and cafe look like my kind of place. I love the stone table and the flowers arrangements on it.

    Happy Brunswick day, love Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It cracks me up that your first day lily purchase is one called American Revolution. Is it bright red?

    This is just a beautiful spot on God's earth. I could happily sit under the arbor sipping lemonade for a spell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela
    I've heard of the nursery and am glad you showed me around. The peach lilies are pretty and I love the covered bridge.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely area, Pamela, once again thanks for the chance to see so much of my country that I may never visit except through you!
    What a great place to eat and enjoy the day!
    We like to take the back roads, too, when we are out and about and not on a time schedule.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela, what a gorgeous place to visit for a daycation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela,
    How I miss taking time to really enjoy blogs...the summer has been too busy for me.
    I did enjoy the gift of today though with our Civic Holiday and have had such a relaxing and leisurely day...am taking some time now to scroll through some of your past blog post entries. You blog has evolved into such a gorgeous and stunning blog with many interesting posts and photos!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela I enjoyed coming along on your back road Sunday drive! How wonderful you and your husband can enjoy such a time! The photos are lovely and there is something so refreshing and renewing in being on those back roads! Hope your week is off to a good start.

    dotsie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the little back roads too! We went to Cornhill Nursery a couple of times-it is an interesting place.

    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place for a holiday drive. It's BC Day here and we've had a lovely day off too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Pamela agin for taking me along for the ride! I so enjoyed the pastoral scenes. I wish I'd been there to eat at the Cedar Cafe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...