summer time

Sunday, October 23, 2011

40 years of friendship

Forty years ago I went to Bible school in my home town.  (I really can't believe it's been 40 years!)  I moved out of my mother's house and into the dorm so I could experience college life at it's best.



I didn't realize that many of the girls I met over the 2 years I spent there would become lifelong friends.  Or, that a dozen or so of us would have a little overnight reunion every fall these past 7 years.  Did you notice I refer to us as 'girls'?  I still think of us as that even after all these years.  We are women who love the Lord.  We are wives, mothers and grandmothers.  Two of our ladies have beaten breast cancer.  One just graduated from university and is an associate pastor in a church.  Some are working and some are retired and some were stay-at-home moms.   We have all been blessed over these past 40 years in so many ways.  God is good!

There were only 10 of us gathered this year at the home of one of the friends.  Her home overlooks the beautiful Miramichi River.


the view from the deck


looking upriver

Our hostess, Donna, is a quilter.  I don't know how many quilts she has made over the years but she does gorgeous work.  Some of the other ladies are quilters, knitters and crafters and they are all great cooks!!


One of Donna's quilted wall hangings.

We gathered by suppertime on Friday and for a change (and less work) we ordered pizza to go with salads brought by some of the ladies.  Then we had some delicious desserts as we gathered around the table with our tea or coffee and continued getting caught up with our lives and all the goings on in the past year.  We missed our regular attenders and those who have come once or twice but couldn't make it this year.


dusk

About midnight we all most of us went to bed.  I was amongst the stragglers and it was after 1 a.m. before I crawled in after dozing in the chair while talking! (I tend to do that sometimes) 

I got up at the crack of dawn on Saturday morning so I could take a sunrise picture of the beautiful view out the windows.

sunrise

We enjoyed a delicious breakfast of homemade waffles with berry preserves and whipped cream, sausages, breakfast in a pan (wife saver's breakfast) and muffins.  I ate way too much!

Here is a photo of the 10 of us.


Jill, Libby, me, Marsha, DonnaW. Donna P. (our hostess), Muriel, Kathy, Corinne, & Lois

We all headed back to our homes at noon hour.  Some had more than a 5 hour drive!
We had a wonderful time and look forward to our get together next year.


Thanks girls!  It was good to see you all again.

Love, hugs, and blessings,

Pam






15 comments:

  1. What a nice tradition you have. And it's also good that you live relatively close... five hours vs across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice way to keep in touch and what a beautiful home and location. I have heard tell of the beautiful Miramichi. The photo taker needs to learn my trick! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic setting for your reunion! It is indeed a great blessing to share this life's journey with God-given friends and an encouraging tradition you have in place. Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounded like a great weekend! How sweet that so many of you still get together. I agree that it is a beautiful setting and time of year for your reunion.

    Thanks for the comment on my restaurant ware oval plates. I laughed when I read your comment, because the hamburger and fries are exactly what I pictured when I saw them. I told hubby and he said 'hot hamburger sandwich with gravy and fries.' Wishing you a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela! What a beautiful group of ladies and how marvelous y'all have kept up the tradition of getting together these past 7 years! I'm sure lots of love and laughs are shared! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to see the same friends year after year! You all look great after 40 years too!! And your photos are always stunning Pam! You have that special touch!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to be friends that long and to get together every year for a visit. Beautiful sunrise shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice that you have been friends for all these years. You are truly blessed! The river is beautiful, I have heard about that river so much, I need to see it one day.
    Hugs, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam,

    What a great story...you and the girls are so lucky to still get together year after year...
    Love the picture of the Miramichi River from the deck, fantastic colours of blue...
    Thanks, Pam

    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. So heartwarming! What lovely friends you have. I've never heard of such a big group keeping something like this going. You all obviously have a lot going for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamela
    You are so blessed to have all these lovely ladies to meet with each year. How unusual that you are able to do this and are not strung out further away from one another.
    Your friends views are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's pretty special! It's lovely to have friends how knew you 'when'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friendship is wonderful. I have a friend that I met when training over 40 years ago and everytime we meet, which sadly isn't that often as she lives in the Midlands, it seems like we only saw each other the day before.

    What a great place your friend has and an ideal place for chatting, reflection and photograph, love your sun rising pic. Have a great week, Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi lovely lady.
    Your photos are Gorgeous sweet lady. Friendship is a wonderful thing...
    I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my new Halloween Tablescape. I hope you have a great week with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures Pam! Looks like you had a nice time. Glad you got to meet with you friends...I hope that my friends and I can have a tradition like that. They live all over the Canada so it would be nice to dedicate once a year to all us getting together. thanks for sharing. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...