autumn splendour

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

the corn is as high as an elephant's eye

                                  Well, maybe in Oklahoma.  But not here in New Brunswick.


I took these photos today of a field of cow corn or fodder corn.


I do see a few stalks that might be as high as an elephants eye.  Do you?



This corn will probably be cut pretty soon.


You can see that the trees in the background on the hill are almost bare.
The yellow and gold is poplar and maple trees.


I heard yesterday that there are some bears wreaking havoc on this corn field.
They like to feed on the corn then just roll around and crush the stalks often destroying
an acre or more with their play.



The clouds were like rows of pillows. This hill looked beautiful last Friday.
Now it's mostly gray bare branches.


This was taken a over a week ago when the trees were at their peak.
It was a bit hazy that day and warm.

Today was cooler and we may get frost tonight. 
It's been over 2 weeks since we had frost so I'm not complaining.

How is the weather where you live?

Have you had your first killing frost or, dare I say it, snow?
Or is it still very warm and sunny?
Do tell.


I hope your day is beautiful no matter.  There is always something of
beauty in each day God gives us.


Blessings,

Pamela

 


10 comments:

  1. It was rainy in the Fraser Valley, where I'm working this week. Somehow the cold rain seems colder than snow, because one doesn't necessarily dress for warmth.
    I noticed farmers out trying to get the corn cut before the rain started yesterday. Most of it is in now, which is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela! Such pretty snaps. No, it's still very hot here but we're supposed to have a little cooler weather tomorrow night and it's so welcome!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty color a week ago and still pretty today. One of those pictures looks so familiar to me. Oh well, I'm going to try to stop figuring it out. I was surprised by all the corn around here that hasn't been cut. Now I see that there's plenty to cut there, too. They've told us all week to expect snow tomorrow. I think we're going to dodge that one, though, as the snow will go south of us. Love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela, You have captured this countryside so beautifully! I love corn ready to be cut. When the wind blows through it it sounds like the rustling of a taffeta ball gown!
    What a gorgeous post!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a LOT of rain yesterday but the days are about 15c so not too bad. We change our clocks this weekend, back one hour, so it will be darker earlier in the evening so that will make it feel a lot more Wintery!!! We still have a lot of green around, although yesterday I visited NT Polesden Lacey and the drive was lovely and Autumny!!

    Thank you for all the lovely comments you leave on my blog, have a great weekend, love Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Pamela:
    These are such wonderful, seasonal images and brought back memories of Oklahoma, last seen in the 1950s!!

    Here, although the nights are much cooler, the temperature has yet to dip below freezing and, following some grey, damp days, we now have a week of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pics Pamela, it looks like the day was very chilly...good day to wear a nice warm sweater and scarf. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots, Pamela! We received more snow yesterday - about 6" - but it is gorgeous here, and we are staying in and reading today. :)
    Thank you for commenting at my blog. I am not a photographer and do not take a lot pics outdoors because I rarely can capture how truly beautiful it is. My hope is to purchase a new camera in the next year - and then perhaps I can share more.
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our weather has been on again, off again rain and rather cold, in the 40's. I rent out my farm and the renter hasn't taken the corn off yet, either. With all the rain we've had, I'm not sure how easy that will be for him, but we'll hope for the best. The corn here is tall, but it was planted so late the cobs are still in the milk stage. Oh, well...at least we don't have bears around here to roll in the field...not that I know of anyway.

    I love the fall scenery you've shared, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had a few hard frosts and we had hail yesterday. No snow at my house, yet!
    Your photos are lovely my friend.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...