Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Thursday, November 10, 2011

we will remember


In Flander's Fields

In Flander's fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead.  Short days ago we lived,
Felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flander's fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you with failing hands we throw
 The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, tho poppies grow
In Flander's fields.

~ Liet.-Col. John McCrae


War Memorial, Fredericton, N.B.

Remembrance Day has always played a big part in my life since I was a young girl.
My father fought in World War 1 in Europe and also took part in World War 2.
I remember memorizing the words to the poem In Flanders Fields in grade school
and having a special assembly for Remembrance Day in school.
We also attended the Remembrance Day ceremony at Victoria Park in Moncton
watching the parade of veterans, including my dad, as they marched proudly to the park.
I remember the young cadets from Moncton High and Vanier High and their bands
as they played songs familiar to the veterans, but perhaps not really understanding the
meaning behind the words.  I don't know if I even understood the words.

Abide With Me

Abide with me: fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide:
When other helpers fail, and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness:
Where is death's sting? where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy Cross befoe my closing eyes,
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies;
Heaven's morning breaks and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life and death, O Lord, abide with me.

~ Henry Francis Lyte

Do you remember this old hymn?  It is played and sung every year
at the Remembrance Day ceremonies across the country.
Now that I read the words I understand why this hymn is played.

It is to be a rainy day for our remembrance this year.  We will go to the service
at Mactaquac's Centennial Park dressed for the weather in a warm jacket,
boots, hat and gloves and perhaps an umbrella.  I will think of the soldiers who
endured the cold, snow, rain, heat, jungles, desserts, trenches ~  ill clothed
and suffering and sacrificing for future generations so that we might enjoy the
freedoms we do in our country today.

I will think of them and remember and say a prayer of gratitude.  

I hope you will take time in your day at the eleventh hour to pause for 2 minutes and remember
and offer a prayer of thanks and gratitude for those who have made the supreme sacrifice for
our freedom. 

Blessings to you,

Pamela




14 comments:

  1. Thanks for that...very appropriate today. We will be attending a Remembrance Day service with our 2 grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,

    Beautiful Post...
    Lovely photos!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done Pamela. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela
    Your post is a warm tribute to the war veterans. My dad was in the second world war on the destroyer HMS Ottawa and when stationed in Bermuda, contracted malaria which bothered him for many years afterwards.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful tribute to this day. Thank you. (Yes, I do know it as Abide With Me is one of my favorite hymns.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post of remembrance, Pamela. I remember that hymn very well. It is lovely. It is so very windy and rainy here today! Will watch on TV. Lest we forget...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather died slowly on his return from WWI with mustard gas poisoning leaving my father and his two brothers to fend for themsleves. I think we are extremely fortunate today, our lives are rich and peaceful. Lovely post Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each post that is written helps to illuminate the sacrifice they made for us.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also remembering today. May God bless all of the families and family members who are left behind today.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post. We celebrated Veteran's Day here at my school with a special Mass and breakfast. I think it's so important that young students realize the sacrifices that were made by those in the Armed Forces. Bless you Pamela. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Dad was also in WW2 - I marched as a brownie and then a guide in those parades. Then we always went to the legion for a delicious turkey dinner!

    We had a very wet and windy Remembrance day today - but still a good crowd out to the church.

    Happy Weekend Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful post, Pamela. Yes, we here also remember. Our grade 5 teacher made us memorize In Flanders Fields back in the day, and today during our schools remembrance ceremony I was pleased to remember the words. Thanks Ms. Ketola!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Pamela ,

    Thank you for your wonderfully - written words !
    Remembering - it's , after all , the least we can do !

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely and touching post, Pamela, and wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing it. I hope that we can remember all year long. I hope you have a cozy weekend. – g

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...