summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Monday, December 5, 2011

BHG magazine December 1966


I recently found this vintage Better Homes and Gardens magazine from December 1966.
I laid it beside the December 2011 issue to compare the size and price.

The 1966 issues was just 35 cents and quite large while this month's was $4.99 (Canadian)
and considerably smaller.  I did note that most of the pages in the 1966 issue were in black and
white with fewer color pages and the paper wasn't as smooth or shiny.

It was interesting to look through the magazine and see what the popular ads and
decorating ideas were in 1966.

Get a look at the newest thing in cameras from Kodak.
I had an instamatic back then too.  Do you remember the square flash bulbs?

Did you ever join up for a record club?  I missed out on that but I remember friends
in high school getting the latest LP albums.  I do have that Beatles VI Album still.
I'm sure some kids today don't have a clue what an LP is, let alone a '45'.


A lot of you will remember Josephine, the Lady Plumber, from commercials on TV.


Here are some great gift ideas for someone on your list - in 1966.


And how about making some pretty macaroni ornaments for your tree?


Here's a fun craft idea with yarn and felt.


There are always great recipes every month.  These pages actually had holes
already punched out so you could put the recipe in your cook book!


And here is the back cover.  Something we never see today.

A healthy looking couple enjoying a cigarette in the great outdoors.
Do you remember the Marlboro man?

Those were the days my friends.

I'm glad some things have changed but not the prices!  Wow!


I hope you enjoyed this view back to Christmas 1966.

I would like to thank you all for your visits and kind comments on my
recent posts. I appreciate each one of you so much.

Have a wonderful week.

I'll be back tomorrow for Tea Time Tuesday.

Blessings,

Pamela

11 comments:

  1. Oh Pamela I so enjoyed the magazine from 1966! Goddness, I remember Josephine the Comet lady, and my mom bellonged to the record club and book club too, such great memories! Thank you for sharing sweetie. Thanks for your lovely and generous visit too, I appreciate it very muc. Have a great week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pamela I so enjoyed the magazine from 1966! Goddness, I remember Josephine the Comet lady, and my mom bellonged to the record club and book club too, such great memories! Thank you for sharing sweetie. Thanks for your lovely and generous visit too, I appreciate it very muc. Have a great week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post Pamela. My older sister belonged to a record club, I was so envious! Loved those pics in magazine and yes I do remember the square flash bulbs. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela
    Now that was a fun trip down memory lane! I see a slide projector from Kodak - finally sold mine a couple of years ago after I bought a digital one - much better.
    I used to keep my old Family Circle magazines and who knew back then, how much magazines would cost today?
    See you for tea.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela! I just love seeing these olden magazines! Love to see the decorating and the recipes! Yep, there used to be ads about cigs all of the time. I don't miss that! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela,
    this was a lovely tour throught the 60th. I remember many things from this time, especially the designs. Whow, how much the technique has changed with the computer world!
    Thank you for this interesting post.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the month and year of my little sister's birthday (we are the two youngest of eight) and she turns 45 on Wednesday. I'll have to share this with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW - another blast from the past!!My mom got that magazine and she was always making things from it. I was 11 that year and I remember making those macaroni ornaments!! My mom made a HUGE wreath out of macaroni on a wooden form and sprayed it gold and added shiny red balls and a bow. We thought it was so cool. So did the mice when it was in storage that summer!! Gold spray paint and all! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pamela,

    Oh, what a step back in time...
    I do remember the album club!
    Made those snowflake ornaments every year in primary...
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun look back to yesteryear! I remember that my dad had a camera, a movie camera and a projector like the ones in the photo. I collected the recipe pages from that magazine and yes, I remember the record clubs and the macaroni art. Those were the days!!!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love looking back at these old magazines. Really they are such historical references with a collection of tidbits from advertising to decorating of the time. Fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...