red and white Christmas

Monday, December 12, 2011

chicken bones anyone?

Unless you live in New Brunswick,  the Maritime Provinces or the state of Maine, you probably wouldn't think of eating chicken bones. However, if you haven't ever eaten a Ganong chicken bone you are really missing out!
A dish of Ganong chicken bones.

This traditional sweet Christmas treat was invented by a Ganong candymaker in 1885.
It is a delicious semisweet chocolate center encapsuled by a hard cinnamon candy shell.
When you put one in your mouth you need to suck on it until the candy melts down
to the chocolate inside. The candy melts into slivers like a chicken bone, hence the name.


Aren't they pretty?

Ganong chocolates are made in St. Stepthen, New Brunswick, the Chocolate
Capital of Canada.  St. Stephen is on the U.S. border with the town of Calais, Maine. 

The town even hosts a Chocolate Fest every August in honour of this famous candy
maker - Ganong.   You can book a tour of the candy factory and are allowed to sample
all the chocolate and candy you want while going through the factory.  
I've been there and done that.  Amazing! 
And, the best chicken bones are the ones right off of the conveyor belt!
They virtually melt in your mouth!
They are also famous for their delicious chocolates.

I am not being paid to endorse this product or company. I just wanted to
share a favorite Maritime Christmas treat with you.

Other favorites of days gone by are ribbon candy and barley toys.
Oh my poor teeth!
How much sugar did I eat as a child?
Just ask my dentists!  :)

How's your sweet tooth?  What is your favorite Christmas candy treat?
I hope you'll share that with me.
I also hope you can find some Ganong chicken bones to try.
You will love them!

Blessings,

Pamela

11 comments:

  1. Chicken bones!...that brings back memories...I haven't seen them in our stores since Eatons closed. I did manage to get some old fashioned ribbon candy, at Tuesday Morning of all places....just have it in the candy jar for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    I have never heard about chicken boones candies and the name do not sound very yummy for me. But your description and the nice color makes my mouth automatically watering. Thanks for that temptation.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lesser product is known as Peach Blossoms though they don't have the cinnamon outer shell. They just look similar. I've not been a fan of either one, but they do look pretty! ;D

    I didn't know that I could have a tour of the candy factory, which I'm pretty sure I'd love. =)

    Enjoy the Christmas treats...it's only once a year. (I'm making caramels right now. They don't seem to want to arrive at the soft ball stage.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela
    I remember having chicken bones as a kid!
    We had all colors, but I remember the striped ones most. I didn't know about St Stephens being the chocolate capital of Canada. I just keep getting smarter and smarter from all my blogger friends info!
    Blessings-Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela! Now I have to admit, I was puzzled by your title and am so relieved to know what you were talking about! Now I do believe I could take care of this kind of chicken bone! :)
    Thanks for popping in and your kind words about my home. I wish you could pop in too!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ganong chicken bones.

    My favorite Christmas candy treat? Hmmm? That's a hard one but if we exclude chocolates, I'd say Licorice Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man of man, I haven't had those in a long time. As you can imagine, they are very hard to find up here....them and the pal-o-mine choc bars. You used to be able to find the bars every so often in ON, but nowadays nothing. The bars are made in St. John I believe. Mom loves the ribbon candy and I get her some each Christmas, I usually can pick them up in Walmart....lets hope that those will not be soon disappearing! Great post...great pics...yum! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have enjoyed one too many Ganong chocolates but not the chicken bones. They are a pretty pink though. V

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pamela,

    Great candy...nothing like old fashioned candy at Christmas time. Love the pink chicken bones!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. My folks used to buy those when I was a kid, I absolutely LOVE them. I haven't had one in YEARS! I wonder where I would find them, do you know if any of the chain stores sell them?
    Interesting history of them, I did not know that New Brunswick was the chocolate capitol of Canada.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Aroostook County Maine, and loved Ganong's candy as a child. It was (still is!) always a special treat to pick some up whenever we crossed the border to New Brunswick. The fruit gems were available here for a few years, but unfortunately the US labeling laws were too restrictive in a silly way and it's no longer cost-effective for Ganong to export them here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...