red and white Christmas

Friday, January 20, 2012

down lilliput lane


Have you heard of Lilliput Lane houses?

These little sculpted houses are crafted in Penrith, Cumbria, England.

I have a small collection of these little houses that were
quite popular to collect in the 1980's and 1990's.



These houses are intricately made by the company's
sculptors, designers and artists.
Each house represents a piece of Britain's heritage.


Rose Cottage - the shop where they are made.

When we were in England in 1992 we toured the little
shop in this old cottage where they made and sold some
of the houses.


Our daughter, Jennifer, with Mark looking on, as she pulls the mold
off a house.  We watched the workers paint the fine details
on each house.


one of the display shelves


Kinlochness

This is my favorite house and the largest I have.
It is Kinlochness from the Scottish collection.
Kinlocnesss is the residence of the Laird's gamekeeper.


a closeup of the back

My next favorite is Brechan Bach from
the Welsh Collection.


This is a simple double fronted cottage, with cow house attached,
thick stone walls, whitewashed and a slate roof.  It does exist in Wales!
I bought this one at the shop because the name reminded me of
my 'breakin' back', which was bothering me even back then! :)


Sawry Gill

The above house is based on Beatrix Potter's home.


 
Bridge House

The Bridge House was built across a small river and was
an actual home.  I think a family of 13 lived here at one
time and the father was a toll keeper.

We toured this house (below).


the real Bridge House

Have you ever seen these houses?
Do you own any?

I haven't collected any in a long time as they are
difficult to buy here now and I really don't need any
more 'stuff'. 
They are interesting though and I enjoy the intricate
detail and workmanship in each one.

If you are interested in Lilliput Lane cottages you can
check out their website at:


I hope you enjoyed this little trip down Lilliput Lane.


Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings


Pamela


I'd love to live in this thatched roof cottage. Wouldn't you?


18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed looking at your collection of these sweet heritage houses Pamela. How wonderful that your children were able to participate in the process of making the wee houses. I remember seeing these but have never owned such a dear little house. thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat is it that they sculpted their town... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela,
    Talk about attention to detail in these houses!
    I have never seen them before, what a great collection.
    Love the toll house one...
    Have a great weekend!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam! These are just darling! I don't think I've seen these before.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela
    Yes, I've seen these adorable little cottages before but don't own any. You have a nice collection and to have a full sized one of any of them would be nice.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of the things I did enjoy about W Horse. The beautiful thatched roofs on the cottages.

    Yes, my grandmother had a dear friend who collected these pieces and Hummel figurines. I was fascinated by both. I see knock-offs for these things in the dollar store all the time and have often thought of purchasing one just as a tribute to my grandmother's friend.

    Your collection is wonderful and I enjoyed seeing your visit of the actual place of manufacture. What a fun thing that would be. Also love your daughter's hairstyle. My own daughter had similar hair. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that my mother-in-law had a few of these. They are so sweet! Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those little houses/cottages. I have a couple from Fraser Creations that were given to me. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pamela, obviously I have seen them here in the UK and know the styles of houses and properties they are modelled on. I have never been a collector though. Thank you for posting and sharing your collection.
    Perhaps when you are in the UK this year you can buy a couple more or if I meet you I will treat you to one!!!!!!
    Have a good weekend, love Jackie.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela
    I've never heard of Lilliput Cotages, but I can see why
    you would want to collect them. Having been to the original
    buildings, your collection must bring back fond memories!
    Especially of your daughter trying her hand at it.
    The only purposed collection I have is sheep. And I just
    keep moving them from one place to another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have one and and my mother does also. I've always liked them. And you have a nice collection.

    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I remember these Pam although I don't have any..
    I do love Beatrix Potter though and have a few things..
    I hear your roads are terrible.. Ours, too..
    Have a great weekend ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your sweet collection. I have never collected these but love the detail on the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are so precious!
    I love them! Each little flower and brick and
    shingle? Oh, how sweet!
    Cannot believe thirteen people lived in that
    wee bridge house.... amazing~
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love them too.

    Thought of you this evening as I was snapping away
    at a little breakfast vignette I thought I might
    post tomorrow morning. I was "playing with my camera!"
    Got a new one for Christmas and have not even had the time
    to sit with the booklet and learn everything I need to know
    about all the features. Complicated!

    May have to fly up and see you for some lessons.
    :)
    xox
    A

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your collection of the houses. When I worked at Peoples, we sold these
    I loved them too...then I got to take a trip to Scotland and saw some of them close up,the history in these is wonderful...thanks for shring them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very detailed, and quaint. And so many with an interesting story attached to them esp. the bridge house - with a family of 13 !!!

    Lovely blog, Pamela - thanks for visiting. I've joined here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delightful - I was in Penrith last Spring when visiting the Lake District, but must have missed this place, sigh! Must admit I saved money though because I would have loved to buy some...........then of course there would be another collection to dust! I have seen the houses in shops in England - love them for their muted colors.

    Yes, that one does resemble Hilltop, Beatrix Potter's home - which was wonderful to visit.

    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the walk down memory lane mom, although I could have done without the reminder of my hair! eeek!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...