summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

from east to west and back again



Christmas in  Fort McMurray, Alberta.

Hello my friends.  I've missed you!
I would like to thank each one of you who commented, leaving your kind thoughts
and condolences and for your prayers for us on the passing of my mother-in-law on Dec. 31.
Her passing was expected and God's timing was perfect as we had just nicely arrived
home from our visit to Alberta in Canada's west.

We flew to northern Alberta on Dec. 23 for Christmas with our daughter,
Jennifer, son-in-law, Matthew and grandson, Ewan, along with Matthew's parents and sister.
It was a very full house but we had lots of room and we all shared in spoiling Ewan.
 While there I caught the cold they were just getting over and felt really miserable most of the week.

Christmas morning.

We flew home on Dec. 30 leaving Fort McMurray at 1:00 p.m. and arriving
at our home at 1:00 a.m. on Dec. 31st.  It was a very long day. 
We got a phone call at 6:30 a.m. that Murray's mother had passed away around 4:30 a.m.

Jennifer, Matthew and Ewan flew out on Jan. 1 arriving on the same late night flight that we had arrived on
the night before.  They managed to book flights, pack up their things and all the baby necessities
and get to the airport within 4 hours of us calling them with the news.  They were so tired
when they got here and so were we!


Grampie pulling Ewan in our antique sled on the icy lawn on Sunday.

There is no snow on the ground here at all.  We had some freezing rain on Saturday evening
that made driving treacherous and iced up the lawns too then it got very mild on Monday
and rained before dropping below freezing on Tuesday.  It's still green but very cold!

The family decided to have the visitation and funeral on the same day which worked out beautifully
for everyone.  Those that had to travel 3 hours could do so and return home the same day.
The funeral service was a wonderful tribute to a life well lived and Murray and
one of his sisters shared the eulogy.
Murray played the keyboard as his Mum had encouraged him over the years to learn to play
and so enjoyed his talents on the piano.  He also played for a duet sung by Jennifer and our
neighbour as they sang Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)".  We will dearly miss
this great lady, mother and grandmother.  It will take some time feel 'normal' again I think.

Our family is still here until early Sunday morning.  It's been such a blessing to have them here
especially with Ewan.  I am a proud grammie and he is such a darling little boy.  If you could
hear his sweet voice as he chatters and says "Hi" to everyone, and watch him toddling around
the house on his shakey legs, you would agree, I'm sure. The poor little baby's schedule is so off with the time change and traveling that he's not sleeping well at all but, he has been a very bright spot in
this week of stress and mourning.  God is so good!


He had so much fun and squealed with delight as Grampie pulled him around the yard.


I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year's Eve.

I have been peeking in now and then at your blogposts but missed so many.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to get back on track.

Take care, my friends. And thank you!

Blessings and hugs.

Pamela





23 comments:

  1. What a hectic sad time it has been but I just know how much Ewan makes it all OK! Grands really do help take the sting away, don't they? He is an adorable little guy and I can just imagine his sweet voice!! Enjoy the next few days with him around!! warm hugs across the miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having the kids home is like balm I am certain. Though you'd not wish Murray's mother back... her chains really are gone...your experience is not the same as hers. Yours is in this life and this place so, of course, there will be sadness and she will be missed. I can tell just by your words that everyone has wonderful memories of this dear woman. She's cheering for you all from another realm. Many blessings and God's own sweet comfort... Now I hope that you all get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her chains are gone indeed!!! Hallelujah!!!

    Pam, are you going to see Chris Tomlin in Moncton in March? We are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela,
    Your life has been so full and so busy...
    It sounds like your grandson is a shining light!
    Enjoy your extra time with your family.
    Please accept my sympathies for your Mother in Law.
    Take Care,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a whirlwind for that little family - indeed, for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like all went well and the Lord blessed your time and the memorial service. He does that! Haooy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Pamela
    Sad circumstances, but nice to have the family staying with you. Good exercise for Grandpa pulling the little fellow around!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamela, My condolences on the loss of your mother-in-law. What a blessing the whole family could gather for a final tribute.

    Ewan is adorable; the little ones always are such a balm for an aching heart. Hugs to you, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that my eldest grandson was about Ewan's age when my first husband passed away, without him I don't know how I would of got through it. He and I are still very close.

    Phil and I caught Harry's and Jill's cold over Christmas, so know how you feel, mine has almost gone, Phil's is hanging on a bit ( well he is a man!!)

    It is a sad time but I am sure also a celebration of Clara's life and to have a lot of the family together must be good for you all.

    Love and hugs from Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love Amazing Grace, such a sweet song. It was my father's favorite and was played at his funeral. You can tell Ewan is loving his toboggan ride, kids love being pulled around in those things! Take your time and enjoy these last few days with your family before they head back and we look forward to your posts when your ready. Love the Christmas family pic. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has been a difficult and sad start to the year for you all......but it's wonderful how a tiny child can help bring everyone together and make things easier to handle. My thoughts have been with you. Again condolences to your husband and all the family on the loss of that sweet lady.

    How's your cold? Hope you're over it by now Pamela. Get your rest, bet you need some serious snuggling by now!!

    May this year soon be full of happier times for you all.
    Hugs - Mary

    P.S. Ewan is adorable - hope you'll see much of him as he grows even though he's a bit of a journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sad to here of such a difficult time at this time of year. I'm sure Ewan smoothed all the rush and happenings to being as peaceful as possible.

    You toughing it with a cold as well, hope your better and things are settling down for you now. Ewan is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute little boy! Sorry for your loss. I'm sure you will be ready for a nice rest when things get back to normal.

    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funerals are never a happy time but it is nice to say goodbye in a loving way. It looks like you did that. I am sure it was appreciated. V

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pamela
    I hadn't heard of your MIL's passing. I know her time to go was drawing nigh. I'm so glad you were still able to spend Christmas with your daughter's family. God's timing was perfect.
    I'll keep you all in my thoughts & prayers. So nice you had little Ewan to bring cheer to your
    otherwise sad and hectic days.
    Blessings-Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Pamela,
    What a busy time for you ...My condolences on the loss of your mother - in - low. A great family photo and your smile is priceless .Enjoy being with Ewan !
    I would love to thank you for your support and kind comments on my blog .
    Have a bright and peaceful 2012 !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad your visit was nice in Fort McMurray. Did they have snow? Soon things should be getting back to normal, hopefully you are catching up on your sleep, too. Life certainly does have it's ups and downs, eh? But God is good, all of the time!
    Hugs Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi lovely,

    I'm so osrry to hear about your mother-in-law. That must have made this Christmas hard for you in a way.

    I'll be praying for you. You'll be in my heart.

    Happy New Year hugs,

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sincere Sympathy. Love and prayers, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pamela,
    I am sorry to hear of your loss.
    Your little grandson is such a cutie and I am happy you got to spend time with him.

    The picnik program is $5 a month for the extras or I think $20 a year but the basic is free.
    Blessings,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sorry about the passing of your Mother-in-Law. I have been nostalgic of late thinking of my parents - they've been gone several years. It is so good to treasure each moment - and you have these fantastic pictures to treasure them with!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...