spring hope

Saturday, February 11, 2012

have you ever been in a photo booth?



Are you old enough to remember a photo booth at your local  
Woolworth, Zellers, or 5 and dime store?

Do you remember pulling the curtain open, stepping inside and sitting on the adjustable stool then closing the curtain?  Put your
quarter in the slot and smile.  Then step outside and wait for the
photos to develop and slip out another slot.  How fun that was!
And we took some pretty silly photos too.  Didn't you?

I think it cost 25 cents for a strip of 4 black and white photos back when I was a kid.


peek a boo

I believe my oldest sister had these made and I'm guessing I was about 3 or 4 and my brother, Johnnie was a year younger.
I think she forgot to wind the stool up. :)



I am about 7 or 8 years old in the above photos. 
I remember the coat.  It was pale blue wool
and double breasted with white pearl buttons.
Much like The Princess Anne would have worn.



This is the last time I remember being in a photo booth.
It was at Woolworth's in 1965.
That's my best girlfriend, Linda, on the left.

We met in grade 9 at the age of 14 when she moved
from the country into the city just a block down the
street from me.  We were in the same homeroom
class in grade 9 and are still friends to this day.
She lives in Ontario now and we haven't
seen each other for a few years but we stay in touch
by mail and phone.
Friends for 48 years!  WOW!


1965

Linda and I were stylin' teenagers weren't we?

Those were the days my friend.
We thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance for ever and a day.

I wonder if there are photo booths out there now?
Does anyone know?
You'd think with today's technology they'd be pretty slick
and it would probably cost about $5.00 for a strip of 4 photos!

Just a little visit down memory lane.

Have a wonderful weekend my friends.

Blessings,

Pamela






16 comments:

  1. Oh the memories this post brings back. Yes, we had them in England too and I remember taking photos as a teen - but sadly don't have them now.

    I don't think I've noticed any booths lately - maybe others have. It was a fun thing to do in Woolworth's on Sat. afternoons when we'd also be buying those individual shampoos in little squishy plastic sachets, recall those? Also purchased tiny paper cones of warm cashew nuts - gosh I'm remembering so much thanks to your post! Hopefully this will keep my mind active as I'm not into crossword puzzles and such!!!! Everything was fun in those more simple days and we were lucky to have been there to enjoy life before more complicated technology. Even poor Kodak is now on the skids - who would have ever thought it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have a booth in one of the local malls. Although it has been MANY years since I've been in one. We are getting all rain today and tonight, and some freezing rain tomorrow. Big family dinner here tomorrow afternoon, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad by then. Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great photos, Pamela. Yes, I remember the photo booths, they were such fun. We had some silly ones made too.
    How wonderful that you have a friend still who knew you back when. I had two best friends in High School. One passed away at age 40 of a brain tumor and one is impossible to contact. We connected really well at our friends funeral and stayed in contact for several years and then suddenly she is impossible to contact. Don't know why.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute posts. A c t u a l l y, I've seen--or seen pics of--photo booths at wedding receptions. Your guests pop in to be photographed and can take a strip home but then you have photos of your guests as well. Cute idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun this was, great idea for a post! It brought back memories for me too! They had a booth at one of our Irish events awhile back and everyone was having so much fun. We must each have at least one memory of a photo booth picture . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hoot they were. I remember laughing the whole time sitting in the booth while the camera was flashing, and each time the pose was worse than the last! Your right come to think of it, I do not see them in the stores or malls anymore. Great post. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember those! It seems my cousin and I shared a "photo experience" at one point. How lovely that you still have your old photos and your dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Pamela
    Those booths were a riot and I still see them in the odd mall here. It costs a lot more than a quarter now but hopefully some of the young people are enjoying the fun like we did. I have a strip from daughter #1 and I at home.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, we still have them at most large supermarkets. although they are a bit more modern!! In fact, until the very recent advent of the digital camera, photos from them were regularly accepted for various forms of ID. In fact, I purchased a rail card (cheap rail travel for 18 - 15 year olds) for Mark when he started university in September, and I am sure that the form he filled in stated that a photo from a photo booth was acceptable. I am sure they cost a lot more now than two shillings (I think that is the equivalent of 25 cents)!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember these! They were lots of fun.
    A Linky follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our local mall still has a photo booth. Not sure what it costs now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pamela,
    Great post, so cute the one with your brother!
    I remember always taking them when we had the chance, they were so much fun and a treasure to have.
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pamela,
    oh so cute those photos with you and your brother. I love those stripes of the booth photos. We had some but they are all gone. You where really stylin teenagers! To answer your question: It is my rabbit. Bobby lives in the garden and hopps around the day free in the garden. The nights he spend in his cage to be safe for wild animals. And he has a big fur for the winter and gets lots of warming hay. Bobby is now 10 years old and still tiny.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny, I was looking at some of these pics myself during the week. I used to get them for my railcard. We still have some machines over here, I saw them when I was renewing my drivers license recently. They now cost £5.00, nearly C$8.00!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A family member referred me to your site. Thank you for the details.
    Also visit my weblog : Photo Booth Adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes. I found one in a mall in the city.

    It was fun. I went in and took a picture. I must find it and post it the pix..

    That was about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...