Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

my hometown



along Main Street

I grew up in Moncton which is located in southeastern
New Brunswick. 

Moncton was called the "Hub of the Maritimes"
for it's central location to Nova Scotia and
Prince Edward Island, and, for the Canadian National
Railway that was once the largest employer in the region.
All rail lines led to Moncton.  A few still do.

Also, Eaton's Department Store was a huge employer
up until the 1980's I believe.
They even employed me.  :)

Moncton is a bustling city that just keeps growing.
It has a population of 141,747 and the Moncton Region
has a population of 210,000.  A nice sized city.


Moncton City Hall, Main Street


Main Street

It is also the shopping mecca of the Maritimes due
to it's central location.

Moncton is famous for it's Tidal Bore ~ the wave of water
that flows up the Petitcodiac River from the Bay of Fundy.

A vintage post card of the Tidal Bore.

It's not nearly as big today due to changes in the river.


The Petitcodiac River at high tide.  The river is also known
as the Chocolate River due to the brown water and mud.


Moncton skyline from Dieppe, the neighbouring city.


It is also famous for it's Magnetic Hill, where cars roll up hill
backward, seemingly.  It's still a big draw for visitors along
with the Magnetic Hill Zoo and Magic Mountain Water Park.

Because the rail lines run through the city's core it was decided
years ago to build what is called a subway.
This subway is really a bridge for the trains to cross over and vehicle traffic passes under it.  There is another subway
in the west end of the city and a third one has been removed
as the tracks were taken up.


The Main St. Subway

In the late 60's it was decided that the subway should be
painted pepto bismol pink.  That became a tourist attraction
of course.  It was very....bright. :)
Murals were painted every year in large squares, I guess to
deter vandals from leaving their 'mark'.
It was quite a thing to see and this was done for a few years.
I don't know when they stopped the pink paint.
I think it was a good idea to revert to grey though.

I grew up in what used to be the north end of the city.
It has grown up and sprawled out so far now that I guess
it would be considered central now.


where I grew up

This is the house I grew up in.  It has 2 flats and we lived in
the upstairs one.  The front door is on the right.
It was large and bright with big windows.
It was also cold in winter and hot in summer.
Poor insulation in those days.
Living room, dining room kitchen down the left side of the hall
and 3 bedrooms and a bath down the right side.
We also had a closed in porch on the back, the whole attic
for storage and half the basement. 
It looks much better today than it did when we moved out
in 1973.  The vinyl siding and new windows look nice.

Here's a photo of the newspaper ad when it was for sale.


What a steal the buyers got. Low $30's.
It had dark green clapboards with coral shutters.
I always liked the rounded top doors - solid wood with a mail slot.

We had a small backyard to play in and a garage
which we set up as our playhouse in the summer.
We never used it for the car. :)
In the winter we played in our bedrooms
(never in the living room!) and in the basement
where we set up our play things - doll houses,
dishes, high chairs and beds etc. It wasn't a finished
basement so it was cold but we had fun playing house
and school.  What young girl didn't aspire to be
a mother or a teacher?



It also has a twin next door.  The grey house is identical.
I like the way it was upgraded - nice windows and doors.
The builder also built one in the west end of the city - triplits.

I learned to roller skate (on the old metal ones
that strapped on your shoes) and ride trikes and bikes
on the sidewalk.  We'd hoola hoop, skip rope,
play hide and seek until almost dark in the summer,
and build roads with our steal Tonka toys in the gravel
driveway.  We built snowmen and snowforts and skated
on the outdoor rink on the back half of the block in winter.
{and we didn't have to wear a helmet for any of these activities!}

It was a safe place and time to grow up.  As we grew
older we could walk to our friends who lived blocks away,
catch the bus to downtown and ride bikes all over.
We walked 5 blocks to elementary school and about
a mile to high school - one way!

I'm old enough to say "Ah, those were the days".


It is a great city with a lot to offer and a lot of interesting
history.  I love going back and driving around the old
neighbourhood.  Yes, there are changes.  Some of the homes
are getting run down and some have been renovated.
Some of the big trees are gone and new ones are planted.
There are huge apartment complexes and old schools
have been turned into high-end condos.
There are big box stores, malls, restaurants of any
flavour, new roads, sub-divisions and developments.
But, it's still my home town.

There is a facebook page called Vintage Moncton
if you would like to see some great old photos from the
1800-1900's.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my home town.


We are waiting on the big storm coming in tonight.
It looks like freezing rain and ice pellets for us and
a lot of snow for the northern half of the province.


Take care!

Hugs,

Pamela












22 comments:

  1. Fun to see your old neighborhood. Your childhood home, if properly insulated, would probably have proved very comfortable with its square rooms and lots of space.

    (My grandmother's girlhood home was built in 1918 when she was 9, a bungalow on Enterprise Street. Don't suppose that the old numbers have held true. I remember walking down sidewalks similar to those shown to go toward downtown Moncton. There was a lot of construction going on in the early 60s when I would have been doing that. I especially remember the overpasses and the large concrete barriers set up to direct pedestrians and cars, too, I suppose.)

    You remember all those fun activities of childhood and how you managed to arrive at adulthood without cracking your noggin, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to see Moncton! I have never been to the Maritimes, but I would love to one day. The house you grew up in is really beautiful, how interesting that it was two flats back then. Had it been built that way, to be two homes in one? I guess it was, now that I think about it, it does have two matching front doors, doesn't it.
    I really enjoyed this, it's nice to hear someone reminisce and view photos of it.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour. We were there many,many years ago and I'm certain we tried out that magnetic hill. It is wonderful to take a walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pamela
    I enjoyed the sights of Moncton and believe your old family abode does look better all spruced up. Such memories.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't live in my hometown, but it is nice to visit. Thanks for the tour of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank for the tour of your hometown. I visited Moncton when I was a very young child. Take care and enjoy the rest of your week:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just think Pam we grew up 15 minutes away from each other... smile..You did a wonderful post.. I love Moncton still and feel blessed to live so close and use it as our shopping centre and such. We are getting the freezing rain right now but I am feeling much better as our daughter and her family just phoned that they arrived home safe and sound from Florida.. Thank the Lord..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamela
    I so enjoyed seeing your childhood home and the stomping grounds where you played your
    fun games. You truly were a city girl! But they were so much safer back in those days, weren't they? I can relate to so much that you described from your childhood. We must be close to the same age I'd say!
    I haven't figured out how that Magnetic Hill works. You'll have to explain that one!
    Maybe some day I'll get to ride on one of those hot pink subway cars too. When I really
    retire we are making a trip east!
    Thanks for sharing your hometown!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so interesting. Thank you for sharing a piece of your life with us. We used to roller skate all over too. Or ride bikes. Seems those days are gone though. The house you grew up in looks very homey. Hope all is well and you didn't get too much ice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interestng post. Since we are away from home I dont get to read my blogs or post very often , but did get to see this posting tonight. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a very nice city. The houses in your old neighbourhood are so neat and tidy, even the snow is tidy! The Magnetic Hill sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so enjoyed this post...reminded me of my own childhood, I played house in the basement too! Your pictures, old and new, are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pamela,
    Oh, what lovely memories of your childhood! Happy times of fun and games...
    The pictures of Moncton are beautiful. I have travelled throungh New Brunswick for many years and it is still very friendly and cozy even with all of the growth it has had over the years....
    I love the new four line highway for the faster drive but miss the old route through all of the little towns. I always love when we come into Edmunston and the fantastic view that is always waiting for all to see!
    Have a great day today!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet post Pamela. Funny your childhood home looked a lot like my Mom's childhood home, she grew up not far from Moncton in Saint John, NB. Great pics. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved seeing your home town and "remembering" my past through your reflecting. Very nice Pam . . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed seeing your hometown, hearing about it and seeing the house you grew up in. Lots of good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great tour of Moncton. I loved seeing it from the viewpoint of someone who grew up there. I love to go there to visit my friend, and it was so great to get to meet you there, Pamela!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tour. Loved seeing the before and after pictures of the house you grew up in. So nice that it's still there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a truely fun tour of your hometown. The memories of the place I grew up are the same. GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed seeing the sights of your old home town. Love those houses, they are delish.

    I remember learning to rollerskate, and then if you didn't tighten up the shoe enough the toe would slip, and you would fall...

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pamela,
    Oh, I so enjoyed looking at your photos! Your old home was lovely and had lots of character. My grandparents' house was much the same way; lots of character. I always adored the place!
    I used to love watching the Tidal Bore and we could watch it come up the Pedicodiac behind our house. Hubby has always teased me about it being a giant mud puddle. When I was a little girl, we kids used to go down the bank and play in the muck and I loved the feel of it squeezing between my toes! I always called it the Pink River!
    I walked Main Street many times when I was a kid! I lived on Hillsborough Road which was then Bridgedale, now Riverview, but one of my aunts lived around Jones Lake and my cousins and I would walk into town to go shopping or go to a movie. I remember well when the subway was painted pink! All my family lives over in Riverview now and since we moved to the Island, there have been so many changes in Moncton! Thanks for sharing and also for your nice comment on my mantel. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's so nice to see these photos! When we went on a Canadian maritimes tour last year, we got to briefly stay in Moncton. I think our hotel was right next to City Hall! It sure looks familiar. We ate at a delightful Irish pub across the street. I wish we could have stayed much longer to explore, but silly tours only give you a slight taste and then zip you on to the next place!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...