summer 2016

Sunday, March 4, 2012

nesting instincts




I found this little bird nest on a branch many years ago.

It always lay across a vintage egg basket that hung from
the old valance over the kitchen window.

Now the valance is gone (along with the old cupboards)
and I have had no place to put this nest.

Until recently.

I sat it on top of my vintage medicine cabinet in the
dining room.
I thought these two little birds might want to start a family. :)



What is this nest made of?

I see birch bark, grass, reeds, twigs and moss.



It's all intricately woven together and gently, yet strongly,
wrapped to the branches.



I wonder how many hours it took the birds to build
this home for the eggs the mother would lay.
How many times did the birds fly back and forth
collecting bits of material for their home.
All intricately woven.
Perfect for the size of the bird and the eggs.

God always amazes me with His creation.

It will soon be nesting season in our part of the world.
Maybe in a few weeks we'll see birds flitting about
the yard gathering bits of this and that for their
new home or perhaps rebuilding last year's home
that had some winter storm damage.

I can honestly say that I can't wait to see some grass
showing, especially when it turns spring green.

Wishing you a blessed week my friends!

Hugs,

Pamela





15 comments:

  1. I am like you I am ready for the nesting season to begin...I always have one that makes a nest in the wreath on my front door..That would bother some people but I love it....

    The nesting process is a marvel to me...How a tiny bird can build such a strong and unique nest for it's eggs is a wonder.....Only God can provide such skills

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this . . . I am ready for the nesting too. I collect bird nests . . . And find them artistic . . . Did you read Trina's post, Country Farmhouse, about a friend's mother's hair . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty display! I'm always amazed at what birds use to make their nest. We used always leave some dog hair in the grass for the birds to use after brushing Maxie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela
    I've had to do some catching up with your posts. Only once have I ever seen a mocking bird here and I've heard they can be a nuisance by continuing with various calls through the night. Do you leave dryer lint, bits of string etc. out for the birds for nesting?
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela
    Natures gifts are definitely the best!
    And they're free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela,
    What a beautiful, natural nest!
    Perfect for two birdies starting a family.
    We have had snow flakes still swirling around and it is going to be really cold tonight.
    Have yourself a great week!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing, isn't it? God's creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love little birds and their nests! So sweet!
    Thanks for your sweet visit!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little birds are so sweet in your post before this one. We have dozens of birds in the bushes behind our house, I love hearing them. They get so loud that we can hear them inside our house.:)
    Your bird nest is precious, I just love it and the birds sitting there make a perfect little vignette.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your nest and little birds are so adorable! Thank you for sharing them with us

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your gentle nature shows through in this post - you're someone who has treasured a birds nest for many years and it's new resting place looks just perfect to me! March is a hopeful time of year as we look forward to spring again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful little nest. Last year I saved up threads through the winter and hung them out in a mesh bag (onion bag) for the birds to take for nest-building... I also sliced some fabric scraps into very narrow strips... I didn't have many "takers" but I think I put it out too late. Going to try it again this year...earlier...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your nests are lovely.. I kind of collect fallen ones, too..
    Today does not seem very Spring like, does it?
    God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took up basket weaving once - it is much more difficult than one might imagine. I cannot imagine weaving without opposable thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I was the only one who finds and then displays these things... so lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...