autumn splendour

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fort Edmonton Park




We took a step back in time at Fort Edmonton Park in
July 2009.  When you get through the entrance you can hop on an old train that takes you to the Fort.  From there you go by foot
through the rest of the park and step back in time from
1846 to 1929.




The Fort.


I'll just let you scroll down through the pictures as there are
a lot of them.  It was a cool summer day and it drizzled a lot.
I didn't notice the raindrops in the round barn photos of my
last post until I looked at it closely.  :)

Living quarters in the fort.  Notice the traditional Hudson's Bay blanket on the top bunk
and the red with black bands on the bottom bunk.



Inside the fort.






A street scene from the 1890's.



Another street scene from the 1920's with a street car.

As you walked through the streets you could visit any of the
homes or businesses and see how life was in that particular era.





A peak behind some buildings.  The round barn is in the middle and the white building
on the right is a church.



Wouldn't you love to have a soda at this drug store?




I hope you enjoyed a little peek at Fort Edmonton Park.
If you are ever in the Edmonton, Alberta area it is a must see.
It will take you at least 2 hours to walk through depending on
what you want to see.  You can stay all day!  Wear comfortable
shoes and dress for the weather.

Blessings,
Pamela






19 comments:

  1. Hi Pam.. That was lovely.. Places like that are so interesting.. I would surely like to visit there..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of Edmonton for many years from friends who came from there. I like your photos, especially of the train (long view) and the lady on the street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fort Edmonton Park looks like an interesting place to visit, Pamela, and a nice way to learn about the history of that area. I loved the photo of the woman in period dress...it is a glance back in time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela
    I'll be in Edmonton in a few days.
    This would be a lovely place to visit.
    I'm such a sucker for pioneer villages!
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Blessings-Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  5. A living history I think...that gal is doing well to fit into such tiny clothes. Yes, I would like a soda at the old drugstore. My favorite photo is the last...it's just so charming and vintage looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks exactly like a place I would LOVE to visit!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that shot with the HBC blanket....really fun post with lost of pictures...hope we can go there one day, we love places like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to see pictures of historical places we can visit. Our "Genesee Country Museum" is nearby here and it is fantastic. We are lucky to be able to see the sights of days gone by. This was interesting, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having trouble leaving a comment . . . Very nice post, thanks for bringing us along . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the type of place that Phil and I love to visit. Why is there such a distance!!Thank you for sharing your visit. Jackie.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a fantastic day out. I love these places where they bring history alive. A really enjoyable post. Thank you for sharing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a very cool place to visit! The fort is awesome. You took some great photos, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela! A wonderful walking tour I'm sure from the photos that you've posted!If I'm ever in western Canada I will take this tour in!
    I was in a Healing Garden since you last visited me.Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi lovely lady.
    Your photos are Beautiful !!! I love going back in time with you..Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my busted pipe ever thing is OK now, As you can see I'am up and running on my laptop now. I will be putting a new tablescape on Saturday. I hope you have a wonderful week.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never been there, I'm assuming it's near Edmonton? I have been there a few times, when we lived in Fort St John, BC, it was an eight hour drive and my aunt and uncle lived there.
    Your photos are lovely, I adore going through those villages. There is one here, Lower Fort Gary, same idea, people dressed in period costume. Very fun.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great place to visit! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun place to visit! I would have loved to have seen their kitchen gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the photos! My neice and her husband live in Edmonton and just bought a new home. They have invited us to visit so we hope to do that within the next few years. This will definitely be on our list of places to visit. We have Black Creek Pioneer Village here in the Toronto area, and we have visited Upper Canada Village in Morrisburg several times too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have several forts and historic areas in our area, as well as the Mt. Hood Railroad, a historic train that takes visitors through the fruit growing region.

    Fort Edmonton Park looks fabulous. A place I'd love to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...