summer 2016

Saturday, May 12, 2012

after the rain and fiddleheads




After all the rain we had on Thursday and a cloudy day
yesterday, we woke to another wet morning.  Then,
the sun broke through.  I love the contrast of the dark
clouds, wet road, green grass and sunlight don't you?


I zoomed in on this view through the window so it isn't very clear but I love the new
leaves and blossoms on the trees.


A farmer has plowed the field behind us for a new crop.
The neighbour's vegetable garden in the foreground has yet to be plowed.
I think it's too wet!


raindrops


fiddleheads


Fiddleheads are a local delicacy in the Maritimes, Quebec
and Ontario.  The native peoples taught the white settlers
how to pick these wild greens in the early spring, after the
spring run off and flooding, along the rivers and streams.

When left uncut, they will grow into tall ferns along the
river banks and streams.

Fiddleheads are picked by hand and sold in some grocery
stores for up to $4.99 a pound.  Quite dear this year.
They are also sold out of the back of trucks and trunks
at busy intersections along the roads leading into the city.
Everyone know where they can purchase their fiddleheads!
In one spot on Tuesday they were $4.00 a pound so I
declined and when we got nearer home I bought some
for $3.00 a pound! 


You can see why they got their name.

Fiddleheads must be washed thoroughly and
rinsed several times.  Remove the stems and any black
or brown residue. 
Boil in water for at least 10 - 12 minutes to kill any bacteria.
(they do grow along rivers!)
You can add butter and salt and pepper or vinegar to
suit your taste.
Fiddleheads can be frozen if blanched first.

Use as a vegetable with any meat or salmon.
Delicious!!

Have you ever eaten fiddleheads?
Are they common in your area?
I'd like to know.


Enjoy the day!

Pamela


14 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I've eaten fiddleheads, cooked just as you described. When we lived in the US I missed them in the spring and was thrilled to find some in a specialty story, frozen. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    Yum! What a treat! I love fiddleheads but of course they don't grow here on the Island. I used to enjoy picking them when I was a girl, living in NB. My aunt and uncle would bring some over if they were visiting this time of year because they know this New Brunswick girl loves them! We can get them at the supermarket sometimes but not often.
    I love this time of year too when the leaves are just coming out on the trees and they all have that lacy look about them. And of course, I love the blossoms! Hope you're enjoying your weekend. Happy Mother's Day!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried fiddleheads, but I remember all the road signs in New Brunswick for the Fiddlehead Trail! There was an article in my local paper reminding people not to pick the ones in the conservation areas around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A first for me . . . remind me a bit of asparagus. Enjoy them with a
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela,
    What a beautiful view out of your window...Love the rolling landscape!
    Our fiddleheads, are up as well! A beautiful spring sight to see.
    Have a lovely Mother's Day!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Pamela
    Everything has definition after a rain and it smells good outside too!
    I've seen fiddleheads in the grocery stores but have never eaten them. I do know the folks from down east love them and have worked with a couple over the years that would drive home every spring for a good feast of them.
    Happy Mother's Day.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela--the pond it pretty--love the raindrops--have not had Fiddleheads here in the central part of US. Interesting --

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, fiddlehead ferns are common here in the Pacific NW (western WA) but I've never eaten them... Love the raindrops on the grass blades...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, they are common and people will practically kill to discover a good location for harvesting them. My mother had such a spot and NEVER told us. I don't care for them at all, but John does. Do you ever can them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous sky and scenery! Love the water drops! Beautiful photos, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well gosh, a veggie I've yet to try! I have seen them in posh cookbooks and know they're edible and delicious, but never around these parts. They will be in my list next time I'm in the Maritimes or the Pacific Northwest.

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only discovered about fiddleheads a month ago and haven't tried them yet, they look delicious.
    Pamela you have a lovely blog here, I love your photography. Those views are incredible.
    I'm following along on your adventures now.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually found fiddleheads in the grocery store in F.M. a couple of years ago. I should check again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! These are awesome, Pamela! I have ferns out in my woods that someone had referencesd as a fiddle head but I'm pretty sure they NOT the same thing...lol! I bet they are delicious..and thanks for information!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...