red and white Christmas

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

a bush, a bug, a bird, and a butterfly





The first blossom on my new Endless Summer Hydrangea
has appeared and it's blue!
I'm so excited.

There are about 7 blooms forming on this tiny shrub so far.
It's only about 2 feet tall.



They start out pale blue and cream.
So dainty.



~ ~ ~

Now for some ugly....well, it's kind of pretty.


What is this bug?? 



            This critter is on the Jackmanii Climatis and I think
he may be making the black spots on the leaves.
There were a couple on this leaf.  I squished them.
Can anyone identify this bug and tell me how to get rid of it?
Or if I should get rid of it?

I did spray some insecticidal soap on these affected leaves
but I inadvertenly purchased soap for indoor plants.
Will that matter?

I would appreciate you advice so much.
I've never had a problem with this climatis in the 30 years
we've had it.

I actually found one of these bugs in the kitchen that may
have come in on the strawberries I purchased.  I'm not sure.

~ ~ ~

I don't think I posted this photo that I took on June 9th.
This little bird stopped by for a brief visit.
It's a male Myrtle Warbler.

Sorry for the blurred photo.  I took this through the window.


I guess these birds are making their way farther north just like
the cardinals and blue birds.  He's the size of a chickadee or sparrow.  Isn't he cute?

~ ~ ~

We have a lot of butterflies around this year.
Does anyone else notice that?

Swallowtail Butterfly
Lantan pink sunrise is one of my favorite annuals.


Well, the wells should be good and full after about 80 mm
(8 inches) of rain this week.   I'm guessing we need all this water
because of the hot dry summer that was predicted for eastern
Canada.  I shouldn't complain because parts of the US are
tinder dry and experiencing terrible wildfires and I expect this
will happen in parts of Canada as the summer goes on.

How is the summer weather where you live?


I am linking with Kathy's blog "A Delightsome Life" for:



Blessings,

Pamela


23 comments:

  1. It really is a neat looking bug but you don't want to encourage it. I don't know about treating your plants. I'm out of the loop on that now! That last photo is amazing! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid I am not much help Pam but your pictures are awesome as always..
    I love the little bird.. Oh, and your header is lovely.. So nice for Canada Day..
    We are having rain again tonight, too..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hydrangeas and yours look like they're going to be beautiful. Don't know about your clemantis. I just planted one this season and hope it doesn't give me trouble.
    Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had that blue hydrangea...very nice
    We are getting humid again for the long weekend...
    my daughter and son-in-law are leaving tomorrow for Nova Scotia...driving down with their Golden Retriever Lola...I had her in one of my blogs...they have rented a cottage on the ocean near Mahone bay...hope the rain stops for their visit!!

    have a great weekend, Pam....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    not sure about the bug...try googling the description..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your shots while playing around with your camera. Beautiful hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your cream/blue hydrangea, so pretty. I looked up beetles, spiders, grubs and flies. It looks more like the latter but certainly not a firm identification . . . Maybe check out on Google, strawberry pests . . . I will too! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hydrangea is lovely. The warbler isn't fuzzy; he's artsy. Don't know the bug and haven't noticed any more butterflies than usual. Haven't seen much of anything cooped up in the house most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I cannot identify the bug, but I doubt it is causing the black areas on your clematis. I get this on my clematis and if you don't watch it, it will destroy all your leaves. Check it each day for the next few days. If you see it is spreading to more leaves, then mix up the following "recipe" and put in a clean spray bottle. As soon as this rain stops, remove all affected leaves and spray the remaining leaves with this mixture. I spray every few days....
    1 litre water
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cooking oil
    several drops liquid dish soap (clear Ivory, if possible)

    Sprinkling some powdered sulphur on the ground around clematis will help too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice photos---wish we had the rain too--very dry here and that is unusual for NW AR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam...My curiosity got the better of me...
    I think that bug is a "Fourlined Plant Bug"..
    Put that in your search engine and have a peek..

    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your second photo gives me hope! That is the size of my hydrangea that I planted last year. It doesn't have any blooms, but I hope it will start to grow. The bird is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's finally summer here (knock on wood!)and I'm anxious for some of my summer shrubs to bloom, having deadheaded all but one last rhodo. Your hydrangea is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, Pamela! The butterfly is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hydrangea is a lovely colour. I planted two new ones this year and eagerly check them each day for blooms, but nothing so far.
    The bird is very pretty, the little splashes of yellow almost look like he rubbed against some wet paint!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hydrangea is nice, ours here are fading away. Will it last you all summer (of course you have shorter summer than we do). Ours lasted longer than usual because it has been cooler than normal. Not so anymore. 103 F predicted for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also meant to tell you how much I lOVE the Swallowtail butterfly shot- beautiful!!! They sure do love Lantana.... I haven't noticed more butterflies this year, but I haven't really been looking for them either..
    Photo of the Warbler is great too... :) I love seeing birds with bright colors in their plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to two Lindas comments I have found out the cuplrit bug is a "Four-lined Plant Bug". I googled it and found a link at www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/CUCS/4linehtm. I hope this helps anyone who has this problem. Thanks ladies! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a teeny-tiny hydrangea (the same kind as yours, as I recall) and am waiting for a bloom. Or two. Sorry, I don't know the name of the insect, Pamela.
    Could you send the warbler this way? It's beautiful.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aren't blog friends great ... they can help us identify plants and bugs and more.
    I agree with four lined plant bug too, kind of an interesting little creature
    I've noticed lots more butterflies this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the color of your hydrangea, Pamela! My front garden hydrangea grew very large this summer --I think from all the rain we had in spring. The chubby bird is sweet to see. I haven't noticed more butterflies here as yet this year. I have noticed my flowers aren't doing well as usual as I think the rain brought powdery mildew to them :( At least my potted vegetables are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. At first I was going to identify the bug as a striped cucumber beetle as I've never heard of the other, but noticed that the back end is slightly different.

    We use a insecticidal soap for most of the bad beetles, though sometimes more drastic measures need to be taken.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not sure on the bug - mean looking! Love the bird picture and the butterfly - birds are hard to capture - at least for me!
    I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...