red and white Christmas

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

across the line ~ a visit to Houlton, Maine







We took a Sunday drive 'across the line' (the border)
to Houlton, Maine.
Houlton is a pretty town on the Maine-New Brunswick border. 
In 1807 Aaron Putnam and Joseph Houlton started a village
and they named it for Houlton.  It is the county seat for
Aroostook County and is at the northern terminus of
Interstate 95 located just 3 miles from the Canadian border.
The Meduxnekeag River flows through the town and
on into Canada.


This is a long post so I hope you stick with me to the end.




As you drive into the Market Square there is a small peninsula
in the street with this bust of George Washington.

The town square is known as Market Square and it has
several streets intersecting at each end of it.





This is looking back toward the entrance from the bridge
into Market Square.
The thermometer on the top of the building says about 80°
but it was really about 90° and very humid.  It was HOT!




There was a major fire in the early 1900's that destroyed most
of the Market Square so all the buildings are built after that.
They are all brick and have beautiful facades.






The Temple Theatre

The only thing open on this Sunday afternoon was the
Temple Theatre.
The only noise on the square was loud rock music playing
from the theatre disrupting the quiet of the day.



And these are the movies playing.

We noticed the flags on poles were all at half mast
and assumed it was to remember those that were killed
at the movie theatre in Aurora, Colorado by a lone gunman.
The movie showing at that theatre was Dark Knight Rises.
Such a terrible tragedy.










This appears to be an old fountain, now a flower
garden, at the upper corner of the square.




Notice that there are 4 different streets intersecting at
this corner of the square.




The square has a boulevard down the middle with parking on
both sides of it as well as along the side of the streets.
I think it's a very attractive square.













This is the beautiful Aroostook County Courthouse and Jail which is located on Court Street just around the corner from Market Square.




It has a very ornate clock tower with a beautiful
weather vane at the top of the cupola.



note the flags at half mast


There are some very beautiful old homes in Houlton too.






This beautiful footbridge is off of Market square and crosses
the Meduxnekeag River.  The red brick cobblestones
are laid at one end and many were engraved in honour of
loved ones.  Along the path and the bridge are placques that
give brief historical facts along with old photos of the town.
It was very interesting to read these as we walked.



Two views of the river from the bridge.  The American flag through the bridge work.
Millstones from the gristmill that used to be along the river here.



A visit to Houlton wouldn't be complete without a visit
to this place below.


This is the Houlton Farms Dairy which sells the most delicious
ice cream.  I got Peanut Butter Cup and it was so good!





I see you're still with me.  :)


I hope you enjoyed our visit to the pretty town of Houlton.
I am leaving you with a link that has a short video
of why *you* might want to live in Houlton.
I learned a lot about this little town from the video.


Have a great day!

Blessings,
Pamela






15 comments:

  1. Pam, thank you for telling me a little more about this town, which I do not believe I have ever visited. No, I'm sure not. We get off 95 and head into Lincoln when we're traveling to the Maritime provinces. It surprised me to see such a lovely community. It looks better than many of the communities down my way. Wonder what they're doing for business...beyond ice cream. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many lovely little historical towns just over the border, and I hope to find some around here, well a couple of hours away at least. Sounds and looks like you had a great time.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to visit here someday. The weather vane on the country courthouse is so unusual. I wonder how many years it has been there. The architecture is unique and I love the old homes. It is fun for us when you take us on these lovely trips. Hope you are having a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful visit. Old buildings, homes and vistas . . . Love the weather vane . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela,
    What a beautiful town and those buildings are gorgeous, they just don't make them like that anymore. It sounds like you had a great time. A perfect getaway...
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you ventured across the border into Yankee territory, huh? LOL! That is a gorgeous little town! The buildings are beautiful and I really like the courthouse. I've never been to Maine, but would love to visit. They have some awesome wilderness up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved visiting this little town with you! The buildings are beautiful. I visited Maine once and loved every little town we went through. I only got as far as Bar Harbor though. I would love to go back and go farther north.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I enjoyed the visit very much. What beautiful buildings. The Courthouse clock tower is lovely, and I like the houses you showed. It all looks so neat and well cared for.
    Are you able to come and go easily into the USA? And is it the same for them coming into Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, looks like a fun place to see in person. gorgeous buildings. (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pamela! Oh, what a charming town. We've been to Maine a few times but never to this place. Now pass some of that yummy sounding ice cream! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a typically pretty Maine town. I've never been there, but have visited others near the border. Tomorrow, after work, a colleague and I are going to head south to visit a WA border town!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post! I've been to Houlton many times -- but it was many years ago. Such a beautiful town! My mom's family is from Van Buren and Caribou and I graduated from HS in Limestone (Loring AFB). Left Maine in 1982... one of these days I'm heading back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy pictures of architecture/buildings, and found myself taking similar photos on our recent trip up north. Nothing like a quaint small town. Thanks for sharing all the images! Maine seems to be such a pretty state--I've been there once!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've traveled a lot in Maine and love that state, especially the coast where we always went to the beach when we lived in New England.
    Thanks for the great pics of Houlton, the area is a big producer of potatoes I believe.

    Country stand ice cream - always the best flavors, though I have to admit I'm not a peanut butter fan and would be leaning more toward, coffee, raspberry, or good old 'can't go wrong' vanilla, ha! ha!

    Happy travels on both side of the border Pamela.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...