Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

historic Gagetown, New Brunswick


                                                        The Queens County Courthouse


Gagetown is the Shiretown of Queens County and was founded in
1783.  It was incorporated in 1966.
It is located on the St. John River a half hour from Fredericton,
the provincial capital of New Brunswick.

The original name was Grimrose and it was named by the
Acadians (French) and Maliseet (Indians) who inhabited the area. 
The Acadians were expelled from Acadia (Nova Scotia) and settled
in parts of New Brunswick (originally Nova Scotia) and along
the St. John River.  This is a sad history.
During the French-Indian War in the 1750's, the British soldiers
under General Monckton, destroyed all the Acadian settlements
along the river and killed the Acadians in Grimrose.
  
The settlement was renamed Gagetown after Sir Thomas Gage,
a British general.
I don't like to learn of these atrocities but they are part of our history. 
After this the Loyalists (loyal to the British crown) from the United States settled the area.





In those days the St. John River was the only means of
transportation from Saint John to Fredericton and beyond.   Gagetown was an important stop for river
boats in the 1800's until the early 1900's.

It is still has a marina and many boaters travel
down from Fredericton for the day.




This restaurant backs onto the marina so is a popular spot
for boaters.




One of the many fine homes in the village.

I love this house and it's wraparound veranda.



left to right and top to bottom:
Front Street, the river, St. John's Anglican Church 1880
Queens County Courthouse,  Tilley House Museum, historic home
streetscape buildings





Once a vibrant farming community, Gagetown
 is now a mecca for artists, artisans, bird watchers and boaters.



Well known Canadian potter, Flo Greig, started her pottery in 1976 with her popular apple motif - a nod to the apple orchards in the area.




A great tourist attraction is the Queens County Museum.
It is the former home of Sir Leonard Tilley one of the
Fathers of Confederation (of Canada).

We didn't tour the house this day but I have been through it years ago.

Don't you love the veranda and the dormers?


There are several shops where local artisans sell their wares and
also several bed and breakfast inns.

Gagetown has seen a lot of people come and go over it's 229 year
history.  It's small population of about 700 makes it an ideal
spot to live a quiet lifestyle.  It is about 30 minutes from
Fredericton on the Trans Canada Highway.  We noticed
there are many homes for sale.  A sign of the times.

I hope you enjoyed this visit to beautiful historic Gagetown.

For more information please check out villageofgagetown.ca.


Have a great day!

Blessings,
Pamela







14 comments:

  1. A gorgeous place -- one I would love to visit someday. Thank you for sharing the history -- very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the story and the tour. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted more about Gagetown. I was trying to find out more about it following your last post. It does look beautiful, and it is definitely going on my list of places I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pamela
    I did enjoy the tour and history of Gagetown. I'd love to have a porch on our home so we would sit out the front instead of on the deck out back.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are just fantastic. I would love to visit here. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A most beautiful town, and gorgeous photographs!
    Hope you have a happy 4th, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what a quaint, charming town!! Wish I could make a day trip there. Your photos are gorgeous!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos Pamela. I was just saying to my husband as I was looking at the photos and the remark to the artisans that have settled in the town..."I guess both sides of the country are similar in that artisans love those little coastal towns."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember being a child and visiting family on the base at Gagetown, but don't recall the town itself. It certainly is a beautiful spot and you've shown some wonderful buildings there, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela
    This definitely looks like my kind of town. It would be fun to visit someday.
    The houses sure are lovely.
    What is the structure that resembles a lighthouse, but is too small?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such refreshing photos today, makes me smell the salt air!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to visit now...
    Stunning and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela: I just stumbled upon your lovely blog, and was so surprised to see that a) you are in NB (me too), and b) you have posted about my hometown Village of Gagetown! Yes, it is a lovely little place - especially in the summer. My grandmother's former house is right beside the post office, and as a teenager, I worked at the Tilley House! Thank you for your sweet photos and trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful pictures. My grandmother was born in Gagetown and I plan on visiting soon to continue my ancestry research. It's such a beautiful village. I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...