summer 2016

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

just humming along






We've been enjoying some beautiful hot sunny days here
since last Friday.  There are showers coming through then
some more sunshine for the weekend.

The hummingbirds are busy fighting over the two feeders I
have hanging on the back deck. 



I love to sit and watch them flitting back and forth while
they chirp at each other.

They move so fast and are hard to capture on my camera.
I used the sports mode for these pictures.





There wasn't much activity for about two weeks but I believe
this is because they were nesting and minding their young.

There seems to be a lot more around right now.

Did you know:
 That hummingbirds winter in Central America?

The female builds the nest high off the ground in a tree
and the nest looks like a knot in the wood.

The female lays 2 tiny white eggs the size of large peas.
She incubates them for 11-14 days and when they are born
they are no longer than a honeybee.
The female feeds them by regurgitating her food and putting
it in their beaks.

The young leave the nest after 14 - 28 days.

Hummingbirds will return to the same feeder when they
return each spring.

The males will defend their territory.

I didn't know all these facts and found them so interesting.
I've never seen a hummingbird nest have you?

Here is a link for more information on these tiny wonders
of nature.

Do you feed hummingbirds or do you just enjoy seeing
them in your flower gardens?



ruby throated hummingbird


The painters were here today and most of the painting is
done.  They have to paint the bookcase and bannister
tomorrow.  Wait until you see the difference!


Have a great day!

  Blessings,
Pamela






14 comments:

  1. We love hummers and feed them. We usually have some flowers that attract them, too. It sure is hard to get good photos...yours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a small feeder, and I guess I should put it out. It's just that I am worried I will forget to clean it, and poison the poor babies...

    Your shots are pretty amazing....

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your shots, Pamela! We're still waiting on hummingbirds here. I'm beginning to think we may not get any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great hummingbird captures ~ they sure are a pretty little bird. I love feeding them too throughout the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! Love your shots. I have a feeder out for them and I get to see the occasional bird. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You managed some great captures! I didn't know about hummingbirds so that was interesting information.

    I can tell that you are loving the new paint! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet photos.. humming birds are a favorite if for nothing more that the amazement at the size of the little survivors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great pictures, Pamela. They would be very hard to photograph. I saw a hummingbird feeder once in a museum. So very tiny. I enjoyed reading the facts you included as well! Can't wait to see your new paint!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching the hummingbirds in the garden. You got some nice pics of yours.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love hummingbirds in the garden and sometimes I see them out my window. I also love the cake, lol..hummingbird cake, I mean!! Thank you lovely lady for your sweet visit, yeah I love salmon, lots of Omega!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures, Pam.. They are so sweet..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hummingbirds are fascinating little birds to watch. We have a feeder, in which I change the food every few days. I've never seen a nest except in photos but would love to see one in person and get some photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we had hummingbirds here in the UK. The last time I saw them was in Palm Springs, they are so darn cute.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...