summer time

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

what is a tidal bore?





Tidal Bore in Moncton Thursday, August 23, 2012

What is a Tidal Bore?
{it is not a wild boar running up the river bank as one visitor thought  :)}


A Tidal Bore is a tidal phenomenon in which the leading edge of
the incoming tide forms a wave of water that travels up a river or
narrow bay against the direction of the current.


Moncton, New Brunswick, has been famous for this tidal phenomenon for a long time and it attracts tourists from all over the world.



The tidal bore coming around the bend in the river.



I remember going to see it as a child when it was quite a sight and much higher than it is today.

In 1968, a causeway was built across the Petitcodiac River to join Moncton and Riverview.  There was a spillway in one end of the causeway but that didn't allow the flow of water to come up the river very far and a lake was formed at the upper end of the causeway.  Last year the gates in the spillway were opened permanently allowing the river to flow past the causeway with the incoming tides.  (no more lake)



Looking across the river at the muddy banks and mudflats of silt built up over 44 years.

However, 44 years of river silt has built up along the banks of the Petitcodiac making it much narrower than it was originally. 

The tide comes up the Bay of Fundy (between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia) and into Shepody Bay then up the Petitcodiac River.
The depth of the tide can be as high as 7.5 meters.  The tide comes two times every 24 hours.  The Bay of Fundy has some of the highest tides in the world.




Here is the tide as it passes by us.





The sound it makes is indescribable.  Like a steady rushing wave churning up the river.


My great-grandfather had a wharf near here in the 1800's in the day of sailing ships that brought wares from around the world to this new settlement of Moncton.



Those are people standing along the riverbank just to give you perspective.





The tidal bore can be viewed here at Boreview Park on  Main St.
This also serves as a concert area.




Above is a sculpture which is a tribute to the former mayors of Moncton and to the former days of sail when ships were built here.







Have you ever witnessed a Tidal Bore?

It is quite a thing to see if you ever have the opportunity.


I have a few days to myself this week so hope to get around
and visit you.  I've missed so many of your blog posts lately and I know I will never get caught up!

I would like to welcome my new followers.
Thank you all for stopping by and for your comments on my last post (the lobster one) :).  {We had lobster rolls yesterday in
 St. Andrews.  YUM!}


I can't believe August is almost over and the Labour Day holiday weekend is coming up.  Summer has gone by so fast but it sure has been a beautiful one here and I've really enjoyed it.  I hope you have too. 
Have a safe holiday weekend!

I'll be back with another post very soon.

Blessings,

Pamela



11 comments:

  1. What a fascinating post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a tidal bore on the River Severn near Bristol - I've not seen it but it is famous. Surfers have a go on it. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela,

    I learned so much from your post today. Wonderful photos of Moncton, New Brunswick. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Pamela, as a Moncton resident I believe its about time I revisited the tidal bore. I haven't been to see it since I was quite young, long before they built the causeway. There was an article in the newspaper this week about the fish they are finding in our Petitcodiac since they opened the gates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the information that bloggers share; I was not aware of a tidal bore in your province and found this post very interesting Pamela.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have seen this very one...back in the day and in 2001. It might be time to revisit again. I remember the discussion of why it was so unusual when I was a little girl, though it was lost on me. I remember the sound. Thank you for a sweet walk down Memory Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never even heard of a tidal bore. That's pretty cool! I'd like to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a tidal bore. We went to see one once but the tide was not coming in at the time. This was a most interesting post. I learned so much. Thank you, Pamela. I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of it! Nice explanation. So nice that you will have a little YOU time. It's been a lively summer here too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice post - well explained. If you ever get the chance try tidal bore rafting (http://www.tidalboreraftingtours.com/) be prepared to get WET and your clothes will never be white again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen the Reversing Falls in St. John....many years ago!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...