red and white Christmas

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

a kissing bridge








New Brunswick is known for it's historic
covered bridges.

This bridge is in the community of Rusagonis.
Rusagonis is locally pronounced 
Rush - a - gornish.
Yeah, I don't know how they got that sound out
of it either.  :)  The community is also known
simply as "The Gornish".




There is a nice little park at the intersection near the covered bridge.




This bridge is the Patrick Owens Bridge.  
It is 103 years old.





You can see that this bridge is well cared for
as it is used everyday.  You will note in the
first photo that their is a height restriction on
this bridge with the yellow and black painted
steel girder.  




I love the architecture inside a covered bridge.
It's almost like a cathedral.





There is only room for one vehicle to travel
through these old covered bridges.  
It is common courtesy to wait on one side
until the vehicle entering the other side
comes through.

And the title 'kissing bridge'?  Well,
in days of yore when a couple would be 
crossing the bridge in their buggy it is known
that many kisses were exchanged in the privacy
of the bridge.





This is the pretty river that flows under
the Patrick Owens Covered Bridge in the
pretty rural community of Rusagonis.


I hope you enjoyed seeing this pretty bridge.

Have you ever stolen a kiss while driving 
through one?  {wink wink}


Have a great day!

Blessings, 

Pamela







18 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela
    I've not seen any covered bridges in our part of Ontario so feel deprived of the stolen kisses I could have had. :-)
    The walls and roof certainly do have an interesting structure but then they must have to be sturdy with all the crossing vibrations.
    Thanks for sharing your photos, very enjoyable.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. There may have been a kiss or two under a covered bridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I spent a week in New Brunswick with our pug about three years ago and absolutely loved it. It has more covered bridges per square inch than any other place I've been for sure. Wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very impressive bridge. Clearly I have missed out not living near a kissing bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bridge and would love to drive through it and I'd also love to take photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I adore covered bridges and the architecture of the supports is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful bridge. It's really great that it is well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela, keep those pictures coming. It feels like on a holiday or I'm on a trip.
    Without them I would just be a homebody......

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful old bridge...

    I think when we were kids, we used to "kiss" when we went through the tunnels.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  10. Covered bridges are the best! (No, I've never stolen a kiss there, but it is a great idea.) NB has the most unique spellings and pronunciations ever. I try and try to explain the cottage lake's name and no one ever spells it right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty little park! I love covered bridges, but none in my area. And, no, I never had the pleasure of a little kiss in a covered bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No...stolen kisses when we went through a covered bridge the last few times. Thanks for reminding me...we will the next time!!!!

    Pamela, Such gorgeous pictures. You and your camera must be a perfect match. I always enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love covered bridges. Such a pretty area there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pamela. I love covered bridges! There is a section in Oregon with a lot of them that we loved to go to. The name of the place is as bad as some of the English pronunciations!!! Chermondsley pronounced as Chumley! Why....who knows! Wonderful photos.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful this covered bridge is! I love it, it reminds me of the movie: The Bridge of Madisson County. Lovely photos, you're a great photographer! Thanks for your wonderful visit, you made me so happy.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love travelling in New Brunswick. The last time I was there I tracked down covered bridges using the New Brunswick Tourist book. It gives the GPS Latitude and Longitude which made them easy to find. I was travelling close to Trans Canada Highway so I missed out on the Patrick Owens Bridge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...