summer 2016

Friday, September 7, 2012

when is a subway not a subway?






Merriam-Webster defines "subway" as:

an underground way
a:  as a passage under a street (as for pedestrians,
power cables, or water or gas mains)
b:  a usually electric underground railway
c:  underpass - a crossing of a highway and another way
(as road or railroad) at different levels; also: the lower
level of such a crossing.


As you can see by the photo, this 'subway' is really
a roadway under the railroad tracks.

Moncton has been known as a railway center ever since
the railway was built through it in the late 1800's.
It has been called the "Hub of the Maritimes" as it is
very central to the 3 Maritime provinces and it was a huge
employer of the Canadian National Railway.

The tower in the background was built as a telephone tower
and is quite a landmark in the city.




The railroad tracks run through the city and the downtown
to the railroad station and beyond. 
In 1915 the subway overpass was built on Main Street to
allow the  increasing traffic to pass through
without stopping for the train.  They literally dug down
into the ground to lower the street. 

St. George Street, which runs parallel to Main a block away,
has a level crossing.  Mountain Road crosses the tracks
with a bridge.  There is another small subway/overpass
on west Main St.

For some reason the overpass on Main St. has been called
a subway for as long as I can remember.
In the 1960's it was decided to paint the subway pink.
Yes, pepto bismol pink to be exact.

I wish I had a picture of it.  It became quite famous in
these parts.  For several years organized groups and
schools were allowed to paint murals on different
sections of the pink subway.  It was very colourful indeed!

Thank goodness they outgrew that! 
Although there are rumors....let's not think about that.





These photos are looking east on Main St.  The flower
pots are very attractive and Main St., although it's changed
a lot over the past 40 years, is very attractive.





We were in Moncton again this past week but the weather
wasn't as summery as when the photos for this post were
taken.  We had a great time though, visiting family and
friends. 


It's Friday and my sister only has 4 more days visiting
with us before she returns home.
We hope to have a quieter weekend after all our travels.


I hope you have had a good week.  I am behind in my visits
again but hope to get caught up in the next few days.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,

Pamela








7 comments:

  1. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=497565260256122&set=a.320453981300585.90250.320379991307984&type=1&theater

    Visit the website, or just peek at the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought the subway was the underground! Interesting! I like the many colored buildings! Makes me more interesting than all the same red brick. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is impressive to think they 'simply' lowered the street. Pepto Bismol pink I am not so sure about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting . . . need a road . . . they made it happen . . . problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda J. Webb-WardSeptember 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

    You are very talented, my friend, with your photography and writing. I always enjoy seeing and reading your blogs. I remember the subway in Moncton from when I was around 4 on, and never thought it strange that it was called a subway. I remember the Pepto Bismol pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tour of the subway in Moncton. I do not remember about its being pink or being called the subway. That's pretty cool though my memory is a dud. Lovely photos and I enjoyed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So interesting, Pamela!
    That sure isn't what I think of when I hear the word 'subway'!
    Have fun with your sis!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...