autumn splendour

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

freedom tower (a correction)





Freedom Tower, New York City
{click on picture to enlarge it}


In my first post on my recent trip to New York City I 
incorrectly called this new building the "Peace Tower".

Pat, a native New Yorker, and fellow blogger ~ 
Mille Fiori Favoriti ~
explained the proper name is officially World Trade Center 1.

It's been nicknamed "Freedom Tower", a symbolic name after 
the events of September 11, 2001.

There is only one tower, not two, although a second building is under construction nearby that looks like the Freedom Tower.

The Freedom Tower will be 1776 feet high when the large antenna
is placed on top of it.  The significance of this '1776' is representative of the year 1776 when the United States issued it's Declaration of Independence.


I just wanted to make this correction to everyone who reads my blog and especially to my American friends.
I must remember to do research and not depend on my sketchy
memory.  :)

I hope your week is going well.


Blessings,

Pamela



4 comments:

  1. Still great shots, love that someone corrected you, after all we wouldn't want a incorrect name on that tower.

    The lights are LED, and I am adding some greens later...closer to Christmas.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were probably thinking of the Peace Tower at our Parliament Buildings. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope to make it to New York & see it in person. i love to look at my old photos when the towers were still there... thank you for sharing. great to see it through your eyes. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually liked the name Peace Tower that you gave it, Pamela, as i hope it would be a symbol of peace and that it does not becoem an object that terrorists wish to destroy again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...