summer time

Monday, November 26, 2012

New York City II





Times Square in the daytime.


I hope you aren't bored with my photos of NYC.  
I took almost 1000 pictures but some had to be deleted for various reasons.  It was difficult to choose the correct setting on my camera to take the nighttime photos.  I mainly used the sports mode which works in dim light but aren't always clear.  I was walking a lot so sometimes didn't come to a full stop to snap pics.
I need to be more aware of that!  Not good photography.  lol


Times Square is busy 24/7 as you know.  I decided to make a collage of several photos of this street.

Starting upper left and clockwise ~ the M & M store, Stardust Restaurant, Mama Mia, The big Coke sign on the Flat Iron Building, Me and Miss Liberty, street scene, McDonalds, Advertising, Times Square Church, The giant ferris wheel in Toys R Us, the street at 6:45 am, Toys R Us, and lastly,
yes, that's the n*ked cowboy.  (silly dude!)


This next collage is of some of the many buildings that are typically New York.





On Sunday morning we boarded buses to go to church at Brooklyn Tabernacle in Brooklyn.  The church was a beautiful building inside and the service, choir, and preaching by Jim Cymbala were amazing.
The rest of the day was free and we attended an off Broadway musical "The Christmas Story" in the evening.   It was very good and I had never watched the movie so it was nice to see the story from a musical perspective.


The Empire State Building


One of my friends and I took the 'hop on - hop off' bus to head to the Ground Zero memorial on Sunday afternoon.  The traffic was so heavy that we didn't get farther than Macy's so we hopped off.
We knew we only had 2 hours before we met our friends and it had taken half an hour to go a few blocks!  We walked back faster than the bus would have taken us.  




This store is HUGE!  We took the escalators up 5 floors and thought that was the top so missed the rest of the store.  Our friends were in the other part of the store meeting Santa Claus in Toyland!

On Monday we had free time until we went to Carnegie Hall for a dress rehearsal in the afternoon.  The hall was really beautiful but we weren't allowed to take photos.  After rehearsal we had to leave until almost showtime at 8:00 so we had a very nice dinner at a restaurant called Cafe Europa.  Five friends from our church came to see us sing.  One came with her husband who is in the choir and the other four included Carnegie Hall on their trip down that way!  It was so nice to see some familiar faces in the crowd.

After the concert we walked around 5th Avenue and Rockefeller Centre (again).  So much excitement, gorgeous Christmas lights and beautiful store windows!  I'll have to share those pictures next week as I took them on my friend's camera and have yet to upload them.




Rockefeller Square is surrounded by all the flags of the United States.  There are tall toy soldiers placed around for Christmas.
I bought a book about the history of the square's famous Christmas tree which I am reading.  It's very interesting.


We headed back home on Tuesday morning before dawn and got home, after a few stops to shop, at 10:00.  It was a very long day after a very short night!

I think I am finally caught up on my sleep.  It was a tiring but fun experience.  I would love to go back to New York again when I can spend more time and see more things.

Today I spent the day doing a bit more decorating.  I'll share some of that in a couple of days.

Are you getting ready for Christmas?
Have a great day!

Blessings,
Pamela









25 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela
    You girls really did whoop it up! Good thinking to take in everything you could and worry about catching up on sleep at home.
    You probably agree that there's so much to see (and hear) in a big city which is OK once in awhile but the slower pace and tranquility of a rural town is a good place to call home.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos telling the story of your NYC trip. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip! My friend just got back from NYC. Seeing the Macy's Parade in person was on her bucket list. She was just glowing while talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh this makes me want to go to NYC soon! It's on my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...both posts have fabulous photos...
    LOVE your happy dance!!!
    Now...settle down...and get back into the swing of things...
    Christmas is close!!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great trip and your pictures are wonderful. You see everything there, don't you? Two of our children live in NYC and it's always fun to visit them. Never lack for things to do.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had an exciting trip, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to see...so little time. You sure did pack in a lot though didn't you. I've never really cared if I got to NYC. But after seeing your pictures, it would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots! I love your Empire State Building photo and the flags are so colorful! This looks just like the New York City I see on TV. I'd love to visit sometime. Glad you had such a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam,
    I visited NY several times and would never get bored with photos of that city. Your photos are great. You catched the spirit of NY so well. It was lovely to see all the towers and streets again. Is this strange naked guy with guitar still playing on timesquare. Once he will be there as an old man with walking stick and guitar, but still in underwear. LOL. He must have a strong health. And how I would love to see Macy's at Christmas time. Thank you for taking us with you and for your visit here and your sweet comment.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous pics and collages Pamela - you really caught the feeling of the city for us, and you were able to see a lot. Yes, the stores are amazing - and just walking the streets and window shopping allows one to get the feeling of the Big Apple - and the fabulous offerings only found in one of the best places if you ARE actually shopping!! I'd love to meet you there some day...............let's start saving our pennies,ha! ha!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful views from the beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela, your mosaics are wonderful! the cowboy made me smile. I have heard of the singing cowboy. Almost reason enough to head to N.Y. lol! I have never been, but hope to soon. I can imagine the solomn feeling at ground zero. What a herific day in history. Thanks for sharing. Loved it all!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, how could anyone be bored looking at photos of NYC? :)

    You captured it very well, Pamela! I often take so much for granted, so it is good to see things through a tourist's eyes and camera lens. I'm glad the city was beginning to get decorated for Christmas for your visit and that you were able to see and do so much. I do hope you get a chnace to visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what an experience, Pamela. There is so much to take in!
    I'm so glad the cowboy at least had a diaper on:)
    Time Square Church-is that the one David Wilkerson established?
    I've always loved his ministry.
    I've never thought I wanted to go to NY too badly, but seeing your photos has changed my mind on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so wonderful to hear your stories of NYC. I would liked to have been with you to visit and hear the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir sing. I would like to hear Jim Cymbala preach, too. I'm sure your choir song was lovely.
    Have a great day, as you will see if you visit my blog today, I have posted and I did buy more space... I sure hated doing that, but I suppose it's necessary.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Macy's IS huge! I enjoyed the photos. I haven't been back to NYC since we moved to Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pamela,

    What a trip! I was in New York a number of years ago, just for a few days. I knew I wanted to visit the Empire State Building but was disappointed I didn't see Cary Grant at the top. That makes sense if you know the old movie, "An Affair to Remember" or even "Sleepless in Seattle". :)

    As for Christmas decorating, I've started to pull a few things together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exciting times! I love all your photos. Nobody sleeps. Too much to do! I'm catching up too. I know you'll enjoy the season. You always do it up right.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos, Pamela - brings back many memories. It's been 11 years since I was last there - glad to see the Naked Cowboy is still struttin' his stuff and strummin' his guitar !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pamela,
    Oh, what a great time you must have had! The pictures really say & feel the hustle & bustle of the big city!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will never tire of pictures of New York! Thank you so much for sharing, and keep them coming! The naked cowboy! He was there when we were, too, but honestly, he must be feeling the cold by now now. Silly dude is right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love your statue of liberty dude photo, that is too cool. you had a fabulous time. i love them. keep them coming. i have not been to new york in probably 5 or more years. thanks, for sharing!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny how in the first collage my eyes were drawn to one particular picture, lol. The toy soldiers at Rockefeller Square look very impressive. I really liked the building shots, there are so many interesting things to see.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...