summer time

Sunday, November 25, 2012

New York City!





Times Square ~ right outside our hotel, the Crowne Plaza

Hi Everyone!!

I'm finally back from New York City and back to almost normal.

What an amazing experience to visit New York City and to be able to enjoy the lights, sights and sounds of this wonderful city!


Here I am in Times Square doing my happy dance.  :)
{I think the man coming behind me thought I was crazy}



Rockefeller Square Ice Rink



Radio City Music Hall

We left on Thursday, November 15 and drove as far as Portland, Maine where we shopped a bit and stayed over night.
{I'm talking four women here!}

On Friday morning we met up with the other car of friends around noon and drove on, arriving in NYC at about 7:00 pm.

As I explained in my last post, the reason for this trip was to join with the American Festival Choir under the direction of Phil Barfoot and to perform the World Premier of
"The Light of Christmas" at Carnegie Hall (Isaac Stern Auditorium).


We only had 3 full days in the city and I'm telling you, they were full!!!
We were up at 5:30 Saturday morning to go to breakfast at Hurley's just around the corner from the hotel.  We're talking about 200 people up and at it for the breakfast buffet!
After that we practiced until noon and had a short break before we went back to practice.  
At 3:00 we were loaded onto 3 buses and taken to board a cruise ship, the Spirit of New Jersey, for a beautiful dinner cruise on the Hudson River.



The meal was a wonderful buffet which I gobbled up hastily ate so I could go above deck to take pictures of the views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty at sunset.


The tallest structure and the one under construction are the new Peace Towers being built to replace the World Trade Centre.
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to visit the Ground Zero site.

I was amazed at the size of these buildings even from the river.  Just look at the trees along the river bank in front of the other 'high' rise buildings.  Incredible!!

The Statue of Liberty






The Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge behind it.


A magnificent sunset.






But the evening wasn't over.

When we returned to the hotel we struck out to walk around the city and went to Grand Central Station.



What a wonderful building this is!  


Just think of the millions of people that have passed through this building over the past 100 years.

The gorgeous chandeliers in the side hall where 
there were many beautiful gift shops set up for the
holidays.



We passed by Radio City Music Hall again all lit up for Christmas.
And took in the sights and sounds of the city until almost midnight.

Not much wonder I was so tired all this week!!


Well, I've gone on enough today for this post. 
I will return with more photos of our trip soon.

All in all it was a trip of a lifetime for me and some of the other choir members.  I won't soon forget it!

I am way behind in keeping up with all your blogposts of the past 2 weeks and plan to get back visiting you really soon.  I hope all my American friends have had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and I know you are all stuffed with turkey and all the trimmings and no doubt decorating for the next big event ~ Christmas!
{I actually put up and decorated our tree yesterday.}


I'm going to link with Mosaic Monday at Mary's
Little Red House.


Blessings for a wonderful week!

Pamela





37 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! Thank you for taking us along with your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Pamela, you ladies sure did cram a lot in to fill your days (and half the night!) and there is a tone of excitement to your post.
    I'm so happy for you to have had this opportunity and I am waiting patiently for more photos.
    Hugs,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos! You obviously had a great trip! I love all of your skyline shots and the Statue of Liberty photos! I'm confident the guy behind you has seen far more crazy things in New York City than you doing a dance! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Pamela great pictures!! It was like I was there with you. Didn't know that they were building new Peace Towers. What camera were you using? I'm due for a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful trip you had, Pamela! You have captured with your great photos all the fun you had experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A terrific tour you did for us, Pamela! The pictures are marvelous and truly give a sense of NYC. I'm not at all surprised that you've been tired ever since. That's a lot of traveling and excitement. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, LOVED . . . seeing NYC through your eyes! What a treat for you. Looking forward to hearing about the music . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamela! Fabulous photos of your trip to New York! A place I've yet to visit.
    The photos of the statue of Liberty wonderful especially the magical glow on that one when the sun set!!
    Good to travel but always great to get home!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing trip. It has been years, and I do mean years, since I have been to those places you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures of New York are just wonderful. I'm glad you had a great time! I wish I could have heard your choir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful visit! Would love to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so glad you had a fabulous trip. fun, fun, fun!! i love new york. great photos. so many, i can't pick a favorite. really enjoy the boat shot with the american flag. gorgeous view. you doing your "happy dance" ... the man looking at from behind... i bet it was nothing new to him. new yorkers love being wild & crazy i am sure of that. you would probably fit in well. ha. ha!!

    we had a lovely thanksgiving!! it was very yummy. big hugs!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Pamela, Oh, what a great trip and fabulous pictures! I wish we could hear you all sing! I am looking forward to your next post of New York City. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, that's almost as good as going on the trip ourselves. Amazing shots....thank you so much for sharing them with us.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a thrill it must have been to be right there, in Times Square. I haven't been to NYC in over 35 years and I'd love to go back. You were there at the time I'd like to go - NYC is always tied up in my mind with the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can just feel your excitement through your post! You must really be talented my friend! And what a fabulous trip! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Pamela, what a trip! I've never been to NY and can only imagine what fun it all was. You look so cute and happy, I would've loved to have heard your performance. Did you see Mike Huckabee? He was supposed to be performing for the same program.
    Glad your home, safe and sound.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hhhhh, love New York! Your photos are beautiful. I was there in the summer 2 years ago, and I would love to go back at this time of the year. Isn't Times Square an amazing place to be - there's nothing quite like the feeling of standing in the hub of it all - the shot of you captures it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful trip! Loved seeing your photos of New York, a place I will never get to see. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great photos of New York. I love New York and it has been Sooo long since I have been there. I am glad that you got to enjoy your time there.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all your pictures but especially that ones from the The Statue of Liberty!


    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous memories recorded here Pamela.........both for you, and me, as it all reminds me so much of my pre-Christmas visits to the city during the past few years. I love to go then, so much to see and do, everywhere lit up and full of music and happy people! It snowed heavily when we were there year before last - that made it even more memorable.

    So glad you had such a wonderful time - your pics are great and I'm looking forward to more.

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thankyou for taking me to New York! Wonderful images. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I hope that the performance went well..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved all your pictures and vicariously visiting through your camera. The sunset pics are gorgeous. I'm glad you had that boat ride to give you an overview of the city! It sounds like a marvelous time but you must be tired!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great trip. I can tell that you had loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad you had that chance to 'play with your camera' in NYC...and to share your experience with us! It sounds like a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great photos capturing the allure of NYC. Lucky you! And I look forward to seeing more photos from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Pamela, great photographs and I can see you had a great time and experience!! Do you have your singing in Carnegie Hall on tape or CD, if so it would be lovely to hear it on your blog?

    I am sure you are still trying to get back into a routine at home and prepare for Christmas, do you have the family coming to visit.

    We are having Christmas dinner with Harry at his house with his mum and dad.

    Love Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fabulous photos, my friend!!! I especially love the mosaic of the Statue of Liberty, I love that statue.
    I hope you can rest up and be back to normal soon, the older I get the harder that gets!
    I'm back from holidays, but blogger won't let me post anymore photos, so I'm still not back to blogging. :)
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful trip. You will remember it always. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  31. HI Pamela! Welcome back from your trip! Sounds like a wonderful time even in the few days you had! I hope someone videoed your choir! I'm sure the music was beautiful.
    You're all Christmased? I'm amazed. I've not been able to do much with company but I will soon.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your happy dance...and all those wonderful pictures from the city of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Simply amazing! Your photos of the great city are just as amazing. I know that feeling, after we returned from NYC it was hard adjusting to normal life again - the city justs breaths a life of its own. Looking forward to more pics. Welcome back friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fantastic trip. Your photos are gorgeous and really show off NYC. I've never visited, but one perhaps, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Pamela,
    What a fantastic trip you had! The pictures are incredible, looks like you enjoyed some very nice weather as well. What wonderful memories you will have. I have always wanted to go to NYC at this time of year. Good for you!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Pamela I'm so glad you had a wonderful time in my city! Isn't it the biggets and most lively place, ever? I loved seeing your photos --especially the Freedon Tower from the water--a view even I have not seen as yet. I don't think I will be here when the large spiral antenna goes on top --I wish I could see that before I move.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic photographs! You have really captured the spirit of the place. The last time I went it was around this time of year, and I think it is so magical when it is all decked out ready for Christmas. You have made me want to go again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...