red and white Christmas

Monday, December 17, 2012

thinking about a lot of things








I am thinking about a lot of things today.

I am thinking about the terrible, senseless act of violence in Newtown CT. last week that ended the lives of so many people including 20 innocent children.  My prayers are with all those who are mourning that God will bless them with his comfort and peace.




I am thinking about the wonderful children's concert we had at our church yesterday morning.
The children ranged in age from preschool to 10 years old.  Some of them presented a musical play called "Dude You Hear What I Hear".  I was amazed at the talent of these elementary school children memorizing their lines and barely needing any prompting.  An excellent message was presented for all to understand the true meaning of Christmas ~ the celebration of the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ.  A job well done!





I am thinking about the Christmas Music Night at our church last night and all the amazing talented singers and musicians that make up our congregation.   God has blessed us with great talent to share the joy of the Lord.




I am also thinking about the fact that Christmas day is just a week from tomorrow.

And, the first day of winter is on Friday.

And, there is snow in the forecast for tomorrow,

and, I need to bake some cookies,

and wrap a parcel to mail,


and go to town and finish shopping.

{And, I sure could use a good massage!}



Wishing you a blessed week.

I leave you with the words to this old Christmas song by Henry W. Longfellow.

"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

I heard the bells on Christmas Day, 
their old familiar carols play,
and wild and sweet the words repeat
of peace on earth good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
the belfries of all Christendom 
had rolled along the unbroken song
of peace on earth good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head, 
"There is no peace on earth", I said,
for hate is strong and mocks the song 
of peace on earth good will to men.

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep,
God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
the wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
with peace on earth good will to men.

Till, ringing, singing on its way,
the world revolved from night to day,
a voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
of peace on earth good will to men.


Wishing you His peace today.

Pamela

18 comments:

  1. This has been a heart wrenching few days, hasn't it. Wish you a productive peaceful week, my friend. Your pictures are very peaceful. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. I am so glad you have had wonderful music and fellowship to combat the darkness. Grace is like the falling snow, covering the ugliness. Merry Christmas to you and your family. We are indeed hoping the weather cooperates!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and family.

    Yesterday I added some feelings in my blog of the darkness of the tragic day of the loss of children and adults.

    Your pictures are pretty with some snow fall..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A heartfelt, lovely post and beautiful images shared - thank you for all Pamela.
    It has been such a sad time and finding things to raise our hearts up again has not been easy. Tears flow still and will for a long time, even from us far removed from the actual situation. It's the tiny children, it's the loving and caring teachers, it's all those left behind to mourn their loved ones stolen from their lives. It's the many questions we all have.

    I hope you are able to get all your holiday prep. done and have time for that massage! We leave for England tomorrow evening - heading to wet and wild weather by looks of it, but we'll make the most of our time there with loved ones over Christmas.

    Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas - and prayers for much needed peace on earth, goodwill to men.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like Christmas is in your neck of the woods. you have a great week too. big big hugs. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such sweet words and a little fun reality there in the middle. Dude... sounds so cute! I have long thought that New Brunswickers had a lot of musical talent bestowed upon them. May you get all of your chores accomplished with time to spare...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful words to that carol. thanks for reminding us of them. Such a sweet post, and I wish you a wonderful week as we anticipate Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for writing such a nice post, we need to look forward, still keeping space in our hearts for those affected by this tragedy...but look forward.

    I am looking forward to brighter days....in more ways then one.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes, coming down to the crunch now isn't it? I think we'll all have the folks from Newtown in our prayers over Christmas and of those less fortunate.
    Not to brag, but I have a massage booked for Friday afternoon and am so looking forward to it. Here's hoping you get caught up on all your errands and such Pamela - and do try to fit in a massage. :-)
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela, I wish you also a blessed week. Still see upon Jesus in this dark days.
    xxx Your Dutch friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's really been a sad December so far.

    I think the recent tragedies will be in the back of our minds and in our hearts for some time to come.

    Hope you're able to get all you need done. I'm finished with everything and can just enjoy the next week or so with my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pamela
    Such beautiful lyrics.
    I'm envious of your snow,
    ours has all melted from rain.
    Your fortunate to have so many
    lovely Christmas programs to attend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said, Pamela...
    Food for thought, for sure..

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There has been so much to think about. It's hard to reflect on the awful things and necessary to remember the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those lyrics.
    You are way ahead of us in the winter department! We have some wet stuff falling from the sky - it isn't rain and it isn't snow. It's just slush, which doesn't feel like Christmas at all. I'll have to imagine the white stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, what a senseless tragedy - a stark contrast to the message of peace that Jesus brought to earth. So sad that the world is so anxious to ban God from the classroom, the workplace, and the public square and yet demands why He didn't 'prevent' this.

    We may take comfort from knowing "This is my Father's world. O let me ne'er forget, that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.”

    Lovely photos, Pamela. Also enjoyed your 'encapsulated' shots.

    Have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that Christmas song. The Christmas songs and hymns have been soothing to my soul the last few days.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post . . . Ring the bells, Peace on Earth . . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...