summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Saturday, February 16, 2013

vintage bathroom cabinets









I found this cabinet with the mirror at Bibles for Missions last summer.
It was painted aqua but aqua didn't really fit in my decor even though I love it, so I spray painted it with ivory then rubbed it off in spots so the aqua would show through.

Hubby finally hung it up a couple weeks ago in the downstairs powder room.



This cabinet, which is reflected in the one in the photo above it, was at my mother-in-law's and has the original paint.  It is home made.
The orange tin is Solidified Brilliantine, a hair grooming product for men I think.  The orange tube has old hairpins in it.  The green glass is an eye rinse cup.  To the right of it is a roll of Curity brand tape and a tin of aspirin with the aspirin still in it.  I can't get it open to toss them out.
I made the cross stitch on the top of the cabinet.



The brown covered bowl is an old shaving soap bowl.  I remember my Dad using one with his shaving brush when I was a little girl.  This bowl was natural coloured wood but I painted it.  


This tea towel is from a friend.  The colours are perfect for this bathroom.

While we're in this room I'll show you the old wash table that was my mothers.


I love this piece.  It was always in our dining room at home.

It has the original reddish paint and the trim colour.
It's kind of wobbly and could use some glueing and screws.

The blue and white commode set I bought at a yard sale over 30 years ago.  The white ironstone wheat pattern chamber pot I bought at another yard sale a few years ago.


Isn't this a beautiful set?


The mug and the covered soap dish were with the pitcher and bowl but don't match perfectly.


I love these old vintage things that had a great purpose a long time ago when most homes had only outhouses.

Ahhh.....the good old days.

Could you live like that today?

I think we're quite spoiled aren't we?  :)

Blessings,

Pamela



24 comments:

  1. I like both of those cabinets! I used to have a shaving brush a long time ago. It does feel good on the skin, although I don't think too many guys use them anymore. Just canned shaving cream and disposable razors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are visiting and if I go into their bedroom I know I'll see my dad's shaving brush, bowl and soap. About four years ago I went to California with my parents. We were stopped and extensively searched because of my dad's shaving soap and brush. The young customs and immigration agent on the US side had never seen such a thing and wouldn't believe it was shaving equipment. An older agent came over to see what the delay was and soon set everything right.
    I love your collection of old items in the bathroom. I think we're very lucky to live in these days though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are advantages to these modern days that I would be reluctant to give up, I'd have to say. Indoor plumbing is a wondrous thing! I remember, when I was very young, visiting my grandmother's home down east and there being a chamber pot in the bedroom. Isn't it something how such a utilitarian object can be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful. I love the antique wash stand Pamela as well as the vintage medicine cabinet. It is so nice to have old pieces that have meaning. Turquoise is a hard colour to pull off so I would have been like you and pulled out the paint brush. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun. i enjoy the blue pattern. great shot within a shot. cool!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old furniture and bits and pieces far better than the modern generic furniture and accessories that we have today. Treasure those pieces as they are individual and all tell a tale. Take care. Chel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love vintage Pamela.

    Lovely photos.

    Happy Saturday

    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamela, I love the old cabinets. We have quite an assortment of them from when we did the antiques, so I'm moving something? out of the laundry so I can put them on the wall, and The something? is replacing a shelf in the kitchen, and then there are plans to move the shelf someplace? else. Another few posts!! The pitcher and bowl is one of the prettiest ones I've seen. Our very first purchase of an antique was a pitcher and bowl (another post) but it is a far cry from being as pretty as yours..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore vintage things and painted white furnishings. Love the towel saying and blue and white commode set. Yes we are spoiled and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Afternoon Pamela. Oh ya, love everything vintage, your cupboard is wonderful my kind of prim cupboard.....Enjoyed your post today, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Pam we sure do like the same things.. I love your commode set .. It is lovely and your old cupboards are lovely..
    Take care with our upcoming weather..xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, we are spoiled, but there is something about the simple life that is appealing to us, nevertheless. I really like your commode set. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pamela! Oh, the shelf looks wonderful and I love all the little sweet things you have on it! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, we probably are spoiled but I sure do like the luxury of today's bathrooms...especially when it comes time for a nice bubble bath! Your commode set is really lovely...such a pretty blue. Another great post, Pamela!

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pamela, I love each item in your bathroom-especially the wash table as well as the commode set-I have looked for one for a long time, for our guest room but haven't found one-good think because I don't have a wash stand to put it on.
    Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  16. A nice collection of vintage things Pamela. I remember well watching my Dad shave with his brush that he kept in a mug in the bathroom cabinet. And the application of Brylcream in his hair each day. LOL
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pieces and I love love the pitcher and basin and the other little pieces. So lovely and I have always wanted one in white, cream or blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your vintage pieces Pamela, the wash bowl is gorgeous! Are you home from your visit with the grands?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything in your house is so beautiful and a gracious reminder of past times!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can remember a pitcher n basin at my Gram's. Your house is lovely - feels like "Down Home". Yes, I did write the poem. I do use some of my poetry on my blog and if I use anyone else's work I credit that to them. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pamela,
    Love the cabinets! The pitcher & basin are just gorgeous, would love to have one as a set for our house, some day... I will continue the hunt for them. Beautiful vintage collection!
    Enjoy your Sunday!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pamela. I remember all these things from my youth, The pitcher and basin are beautiful and I love the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like all of these things...you sure have a good eye to photograph things.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...