Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Friday, July 5, 2013

a quiet Saturday downtown




A beautiful rose bush in front of an older home.

On Saturday morning we decided to go to the market in the city.  After that we walked downtown along the waterfront where we were on Canada Day.  On Saturday it was so quiet. 
It was cloudy and a light 'Scotch Mist' was in the air.
Just enough to curl my hair and keep many people indoors.
But not us.


This old building was dressed with a beautiful climbing hydrangea all in bloom.  The building used to be a Peugeot car dealership and we bought our first cars from here in the 70's and 80's.  After it closed it was renovated for a business.  The building has so much character don't you think?


This is the old Barracks from the early 1800's.  
On Canada Day there was a stage set up behind it in the square with lots of music and entertainment.  All was quiet on this Saturday morning though.


The above building is on the opposite corner from the Barracks.
 It houses the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame.


Farther along the block up from the Barracks is the large brick building that houses the Law Courts.


This building used to be the Provincial Normal School.
It was where Murray's mother went to study to be a school teacher in the 1930's.


This is the left end of the building with the flags of New Brunswick, Canada, and the Acadian flag.


The beautiful wrought iron fence has been there for decades.



Across the corner from the Justice Building is City Hall.





This is our city hall up the street a block from the Barracks.
The square in front of it is being renovated.  There is a fountain in front of the steps with a sweet cherub, nicknamed
"Freddy the little nude dude", that resides in the centre of the fountain.  He's in safe keeping until the restoration is completed.
The building used to be an opera house and farmers market in the 1800's and early 1900's.



We're back down the street in this photo.  This is Officers' Square, part of the historic Garrison District.  You can see this building in my photos of Canada Day when all the crowd was gathered.

I hope you enjoyed seeing some of the buildings in the historic downtown of Fredericton.

I have more photos of the riverfront to share soon.

Our family arrives this afternoon so I will be scarce here for a few days.  I'll try to visit when I can and put up some posts.

The weather is fantastic with temperatures in the 30's (90's F) but high humidity.   I'm rather enjoying it!  :)

See you soon.

Blessings,

Pamela 


28 comments:

  1. Such a lovely stroll you treated us to.
    Wishing you the best of times with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pleasant tour, Pam! Thanks for adding the interesting touches..."little nude dude" made me laugh. Have a splendid time with your family and don't worry about us. We'll be waiting on the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tour and oh those beautiful roses I am still on vacation and it is rain, rain so thought I would have a look at some blogs till the sun comes out then go out aggain.

    Enjoy your family Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the stroll through Fredericton . . . And charmed by the building with the climbing Hydrangea! I hope you will have pleasant weather and enjoy these next days with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed joining you on this tour of your town. It looks so historic and pretty. The climbing hydrangea really caught my eye.
    Have a wonderful visit with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the architecture ... so nice!! those details are awesome!! love that fence.

    have a good weekend. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love your pictures and what a great place!! Those first shots of the greenery are beautiful! So pretty! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Your photos are gorgeous! I love the photos of the downtown area, what a lovely old city it is.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Little nude dude," LOL... Thank you for the charming walking tour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always like going on walks with you! Love that hydrangea around that window!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shots of what I assume is Fredericton.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty morning stroll, with just as pretty background. Love the old buildings....they just don't make them like that anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pamela! I've so enjoyed my walk with you! What lovely places and that climbing hydrangea is gorgeous. Enjoy your time with your grands!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pamela,
    How lucky you are to live in such a beautiful town!! I love that building with the purple shutters:-)
    Hugs & Happy Weekend,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pamela, this is a post full of character! Love the old buildings. Isn't the old architecture wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful walk! I love all that old architecture! The roses and climbing hydrangeas are awesome. I've never heard of climbing hydrangeas.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is such a sense of history in this area...I do love old buildings, and bricks, and fences.

    The climbing hydrangea is a beaut...ours is much smaller.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. We certainly do not have history like this on the west coast, - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love climbing hydrangeas, mine has taken three years but is now starting to get a hold. Thanks for taking us on this amazing tour. We are expecting 30 degrees next week over this side of the world which usually means high humidity but hey ho...soon be Christmas! Have a wonderful week with your family. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos of your home. It is nice to see where you live, such a peacefully looking place.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed the tour around town Pam. Enjoy the time with your family.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's nice that you live in a place with so much history and beautiful old buildings. Have a wonderful time with your family, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the perspective in the shot with the hydrangea and windows. You live in a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful buildings. I like the old school building very much. The climbing hydrangea is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoy your time spent with family while visiting. I love the buildings, especially the court house. The hydrangea is so impressive. Each time I visit I always look for the wrought Iron fence, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love those old buildings. Such great architecture. I had my camera snapping away when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's so nice to have time to visit historic towns and take photos. When I think of the past and how much we traveled, I'm glad we have photos. Of course we can take a lot more now with digital cameras. You asked if I play the piano...yes, I do. My husband and I both play. Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good Morning Pamela....Just wanted to alert you to the spam above...from your blog they went to my blog too. You may want to delete these and I have done the same. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...