Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Friday, August 16, 2013

Whistler, British Columbia



We drove the "Sea to Sky" Highway to reach the famous ski town of Whistler, after a few stops along the way.  {If you missed these stops please scroll down my blog for the last 2 posts.}  

Whistler, a year-round destination, is located in the Coast Mountains, just 2 hours north from Vancouver.  It is famous for it's ski hills which are well used in the summer months for mountain biking.  

How did Whistler get it's name?  It was named for the shrill whistle sound made by the western hoary marmots that live among the rocks.  {I didn't know that either!}

In 2008 the peaks of Whistler Mountain and Blackcomb Mountain were joined by the "Peak 2 Peak Gondola".  

In 2010 the Winter Olympics were held here which further set this resort town and it's mountains on the world map.

For more information on Whistler click here.




Blackcomb Mountain from Whistler Village.




Whistler Mountain in it's summer use for mountain biking.



A special frame for taking the mountain bikes up.  The riders grab the next seat behind this.



Some bikers are washing their bikes when done their run while others wait in line for the lift.  One has to be quick to load their bike on then hop on the seat that comes up next.

My nephew has spent many hours mountain biking on this mountain.  And he lived to tell about it!  {He has had a few 'incidents' over the years.}  It's a dangerous sport.



We had dinner on this patio at the base of the mountain where we could watch the bikers come down and do their jumps.  It was a bit dusty.  :)  Hard to imagine this mountain and patio covered with snow on such a hot day.  There are heaters to one side that are used in the colder weather to keep patrons 'warm'.  



Above are some of the very beautiful homes near Whistler Village.  They have spectacular views of the mountains and are made of cedar and stone.  Some are made from huge cedar logs.  I'm sure they are million dollar homes and they have a million dollar view.



The Fairmont Chateau Whistler

{we stayed at the Holiday Inn in the village}



Whistler Village proper is for pedestrian traffic only.  Cyclists must walk their bikes.  You may park your vehicle in the designated parking lots nearby.  The hotel had underground parking along with another joining hotel.  It was $15.00 for the night and included the next day until 6:00.  We didn't stay much after breakfast as we had to drive back down the Fraser River River which would take all day.  We had a wonderful breakfast on the patio of the Canada House Restaurant.

Whistler Village has loads of shopping, restaurants and bars to accommodate the thousands of patrons that visit. 




These pretty turquoise chairs were outside of a David's Tea shop, where I made a purchase.  
{Love Tea #7 and Red Velvet Cake}






These are the Olympic Rings in Olympic Plaza where the medal presentations were made.



Whistler is a beautiful town and I think it would be wonderful to see in the winter as well, even though I don't ski anymore.  
It has had lots of famous actors, and even the Royal Princes ~ Charles, William and Harry, visit it's ski slopes.
We didn't see anyone famous while there, that I know of.


Have you ever been to Whistler?
If so, was it in summer or winter?

 I hope you have a great weekend.  
We're having a nice little stretch of hot sunny weather which makes me happy.  Summer is fleeting.


Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will leave a comment so I'll know you've been here.

Blessings,
Pamela


26 comments:

  1. No. I have only visited via blogs. I think Judy featured Whistler las spring or perhaps winter and both she and Lovella did features during the Olympics. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela...I can't quite fix the snowless Whistler in my head, since I'v always been there in the Winter...bare mountains look odd to me. So you didn't go for a spin?

    No Tim's in town here, yet, supposed to be one by the end of the year...next closest is in Vernon.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Whistler but not since before the Olympics. I got married in Whistler on October 8, 1989. My husband and I used to visit there often mostly during ski season. We stayed over one Easter on our way heading up to Bralorne via Pemberton. It is nice to see the area through your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a grand looking place! I suppose it would cost a pretty penny for that view. It's cool they use the mountain for dual purposes. It does look a bit weird without snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never visited Whistler but it sure was pleasant visiting through your blog. You are an excellent writer and explain things very well. It looks wonderful and I'm sure it is a marvelous place to take a vacation...especially in the winter. I am glad you and your husband are getting to enjoy your trip. BTW, that is a lovely picture of the both of you. Be safe and have fun!

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. We spent a few summers downhill mountain biking as a family... Never made it ti whistler though. Silverstar, Fernie, and Golden were all good spots though. Looks like you are having a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are hoping to visit Whistler/Blackcomb next week to partake in a trail run. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely area. I would like to sit on that patio and watch the bikers. When the 2010 Olympics were on we had a series of programmes on tv about that area, and Canada in general. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I have been to Whistler (in summer). About 5 years ago we did a motorcycling tour with Rocky Mountain Motorbikes of part of the Rockies starting and finishing in Whistler. It was one of our best holidays

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whistler looks a great place to visit and just sit and watch "life and people".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like you're having a great time. Thanks for all the info and beautiful pics. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredible trip Pamela. I have been away most of the summer and to return to these incredible images of snow capped mountains, waterfalls and Whistler is making me want to repack my bag and grab the first flight over there. Enjoy the trip. Paul:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Whistler . . . my visits have been like this and/or watching the Olympics. I would have loved skiing there though, (back in my day!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have never been to Whistler. Loved the bit about how it got its name. You have had an fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely and beautiful place to visit.You had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Pam
    I haven't been to Whistler and figured the name came from the wind whistling through the mountains.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful village! I'd love to stay at the Fairmont, ha ha. We never got up to the area when we had a few days in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Altho' I've been to Vancouver several times (a much-loved city and such fun to visit) never actually got to Whistler. Reminds me of Aspen from your pics, especially when viewing those multi-million dollar homes - wow, and to think they are probably second homes!

    Did not know the name came from the marmots whistling sounds!

    Great pic of you guys having fun - seems like you've been away forever - glad your time is being spent in such beautiful country.

    Take care - big hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great place and forward thinking for its usage for mountain bikes. Love their lift! The houses look spectacular ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to know this is a busy place year-round!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My hubby has been there skiing and he loves it! You took so many great photos-it looks beautiful!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation. Whistler is beautiful. Your photos do its beauty justice.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Pamela! Oh, I see someone famous! Did you miss her? She's standing beside a man under the Olympic symbol! ;) What a beautiful place. We've bee up through Maine a few time in the fall to see the leaves and took a fall tour once and did go a little ways into Canada! I would love some cooler weather!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pamela,
    My hubby and I were in Whistler in January with some members of our family. Your photos bring back memories! We had our picture taken in front of the rings too. I would love to see it again in the summertime. When we were there it was bone chilling cold. It was also in Whistler where I had my fall and I've been trying to recover ever since. So, all my memories of the place are not so pleasant but I'm glad we got to see it. Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Pamela,
    You have caught some lovely photos of Whistler. I hae been to Whistler in the summer and the winter. Those million dollar homes are problems worth millions, and only very rich people can live there. My youngest daughter, Marissa worked there during the Olympics, it's a real party town.
    Thank you for your very sweet comment on my last post. You always leave me the nicest comments and I really appreciate it.
    Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...