summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Friday, October 4, 2013

a vintage Tareyton tobacco jar






This jar was my late mother-in-law's and I think she used it for keeping brown sugar in if I recall.
She was one to cut pretty flowers or photos out of magazines, you know the heavy paper ads that are in them?    She would glue them to the front or top of a jar to pretty it up.

I hadn't noticed this jar had a label underneath it and read the name from the inside.  It says "Herbert Tareyton - London - Smoking Mixture".  Well,  I wonder what that is?  So I had to look it up on the internet and found out that it was a tobacco and cigarette company that was started in London, England.  There isn't a lot of information on the company, but they made cigarettes in the US.


I decided I was going to remove the pretty flowers and see what the label is like underneath.  I put it under water and started pealing the label with my thumbnail.  It came off a bit and I noticed that the Tareyton label was actually painted on the jar.  I even took a knife and scraped at the paper label and it finally came off.  Then I did the other side.  I washed the jar and it came out like new.


I couldn't find out on the internet how old this jar is.


The lid is in perfect shape with not a scratch or chip.


So, I filled it with a nice fall treat and set it on the kitchen peninsula.  :)

The licence plate and pretty vintage tin came from my mother-in-law's house too.

Candy corn is much better than tobacco anyway.  Right?

Welcome to my new followers!  Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.
I have a lot of photos to edit before I do a post on Kings Landing Historical Settlement so do come back.
 I hope you all had a great week and wish you a beautiful weekend.

Blessings,

Pamela

21 comments:

  1. i will have to guess 52 candy corns. am i right? ( :
    what a cool container. great find. you enjoy.
    have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun discovery, Pamela! Love how you're using it for candy corn this season.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your jar.. It looks old.. Kings Landing? We go next weekend..
    Take care, my friend..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela, I worked with Brown and Williamson fr five yers and Tareyton was ones the bands I worked. It is a small world. What a coincidence. Have a great weekend. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. More treasures from the attic? It's in great shape, maybe she left a few others for you to find.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colourful corn candy looks very attractive with the blue label, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet you'll find lots of yummy things to keep in that tobacco jar. Once again, I love your header.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A much nicer filling for the jar! It is a nice shape. I looked up Herbert Tareyton, there are lots of tins shown, but no jars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting find under the label, and you can so change the time of year with the colour of candy. We have a bulk barn over in Charlottetown and I just love to have a candy dish this time of year. I hope you had fun in Kings Landing, we are thinking of making a short road trip over to NB to a beach or two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mother-in-law was not about to have tobacco advertising on her counter. LOL! The things we'll do to disguise and the things we'll do to display our vintage treasures. I once realized that I was showing off some rather unmentionable cream in my bathroom display. Ha! And my daughter gave me some sort of 100-something-year-old "female elixir" ...just gives one pause.

    So looking forward to seeing your day trip to King's Landing. It has got to be beautiful at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting to discover what was lurking beneath those daisies all these years.
    I like the new use you have found for this jar. It has a great shape and I love the blue and white of the label.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat old jar!! Clear jars like that are so great for filling up with something pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting! I wonder how your mom got it! You are quite the detective! I like your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tobacco container is really cool. I like the red license plate too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made quite the discovery, Pamela. It would be interesting to know how long your mother-in-law had the jar. I like your use for it. Also, I like the beautiful autumnal header you have now. I should get around to changing mine for the season.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent find! She was making it pretty, and we prefer to see what it was originally. I like jars too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How neat to find that original painted label underneath -- and it looks brand new! Just love it, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cool find! I have to admit that even though I'm not much into candy corn that it is way way better than tobacco.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the after look!
    So much more vintage looking...
    Everyone is talking about candy corn...and I...have never had it!
    I thought it was an American thing...guess I was wrong!

    Enjoy your good weather...we don't have any here!!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Dear Pamela! Oh, I love your jar and the story behind it. Yes, I do believe the candy corn is better than the tobacco! :) Thank you for your prayers,
    You are the sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...