summer 2016

Friday, January 10, 2014

shadow play



January 2014 Photo Challenge ~ Shadow Play

There are always shadows.  I was looking out the windows last night in our darkened house trying to get a glimpse of the northern lights to no avail.  They would be in the north and we don't have windows facing that direction and there are trees blocking the bit of view that way.  However, the 3/4 moon was so bright and clear on the landscape that there were even shadows of the trees on the snow.  It was so beautiful.  

Wherever there is light there will be a shadow so to find photos of shadows is quite easy.  I chose these specific photos as they are all special places to me.   


Sand dune fencing at Parlee Beach ~ July 2013
taken with my Canon Powershot
I have been to Parlee Beach near Shediac, NB many times in my life.  It's 'the' beach to go to for nice sand and warm waters.  The fencing is important to keep the sand dunes in place during wind and storms.  I like walking up this 'hot' side of the dune and the first peek at the beach and water on the other side where it's always a bit cooler but still lovely.

I'm throwing this extra photo in.  There isn't much shadow in this one taken at 3:00 in the afternoon on July 9 on Parlee Beach but my little grandsons are pretty cute aren't they?  They do cast a bit of shadow though.  See the youngest one's hand?  (Love)




A window in the Jones House at Kings Landing Historical Settlement ~ September 2013
taken with my Canon Powershot
This old house at Kings Landing is made of stone and the walls are over a foot thick, hence the deep windows.  The yellow wood shutters glow with the sunshine and the reflection of the multi-paned window into the darker room.  This is my favourite house at the historical settlement.




My favourite tree shadow in the late afternoon ~ January 2014
Taken with my Nikon D5200   f/13.0   ISO 100
I debated whether to use this photo as the tree's shadow isn't that clear or defined due to the haze over the sun.  However, I like how the tree's shadow spreads like a root system over the snow.  I could have taken a photo on a clearer day but I like the muted sun too and the jet contrail.  Plus. It's my favourite tree.  :)


I didn't do any further editing to my photos.  The first three were probably done on "auto" or "beach" or "indoor".  The last was on "snow".

I am joining Donna's Photo Challenge and the theme this month is Shadow Play.
Please visit here.
You will find instructions if you wish to join in and may also view posts from other bloggers.

Enjoy your weekend.

Blessings,

Pamela





41 comments:

  1. These are all excellent choices! Love the repetition of the shadows in the first one. The little grandsons always steal the show because they are so darn cute! And yes, I see those very distinct shadows, and I particularly noticed the outstretched hand. Gorgeous architectural shadows in the third one. Wonderful contrast and you exposed for the scene perfectly. And the lone tree shot is quite dreamy with the soft shadows on the pure, windswept snow. This wasn't a difficult challenge for you at all Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can see why you chose the last and thank you for making the connection that my brain was struggling with...yes, it looks so much like a phantom root system. But oh...that little hand on the sand. Very dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all of your shots. The one of your favorite tree is soft, but so pretty. The strong lines in the window shot are really striking. But what can compare with those little shadows cast by the little boys? Darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could I choose a favorite! Your Grandson are darling, and I really that first photo with the fence shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely collection of shadows here Pamela - dunes and fencing remind me of the N. Carolina beaches, hope to get down there come Spring! The boys are so cute and I love the hand stretching for something special in the sand perhaps? All your shots are wonderful.

    Hope you're doing better now the snow has let up perhaps. We're expecting 70F tomorrow BUT with thunderstorms and possible tornadoes!! What a winter everywhere!

    Take care - love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Pamela! I love each one of these for different reasons. I want to walk next to that fence and hug those little boys! The last is really amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you included that last photo. I like how you describe the shadow as a root system growing over the snow. But my favorite is your first shot of the beach fence. I think it's the repeated pattern that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All good shady photo shots Pam, especially the little tykes. My favourite is of your tree with the sun behind and the branch shadows stretching out across the snow.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos Pamela . The first looks soo inviting ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all so different but all such good examples of shadows...it we will only take the time to look! I love the little one's hand....what a precious photo! And of course your favorite tree is my favorite now, too. Such a wonderful angle. Enjoy your weekend and the snowy scenes! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pictures! Good selection of shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots...I love the first one, very dramatic and the perspective to the top of the hill is beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Pamela...

    And that indoor shot of the house, it captures my heart.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love favorite tree of yours, the shadows reach so far. And of course your little ones shadows are very sweet. The window is probably my favorite just because of the colors and all the energy of the shadows playin in it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam!! These pictures are gorgeous! I love the yellow window and the fence line! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful snaps, Pamela! I love the one with your little 'beach boys'. :)
    Have a great weekend and you're always a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are beautiful! I absolutely love the lone tree shot! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the shadows Pam. Wonderful photos . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! ALL of these are wonderful. The beach and the last one are my favorites if I had to pick bu they are all really good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All of your shadow shots are beautiful, but the little hand is special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Couldn't pick a favourite Pamela; kept changing my mind as I saw each one.

    I trust you're making the most of winter - we are too, but a little more to the south ;>)

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great collection as always Pamela!

    Your grandsons are so sweet playing in the sand and casting good strong shadows - perfect timing for the littlies hand!!!

    Wishing you a happy weekend!
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  23. I especially like the beach fence and the window!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the contrast between the sand dunes and the snow drift, stunning, I totally see what you mean about the shadow of your tree being like the roots spreading out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like all these photos very much, Pamela, but the one that I love the most is the one of your favourite tree. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great photographs. Your grandsons are so cute. I love the window at the Kings Landing Settlement. The sand dune fencing is similar to a canvas print we have on our bathroom wall.

    We have a lovely sunny day here, seems like Spring but not sure how long it will last!! ;-))

    Have a good weekend, Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad you included them all. I love the beach pictures- especially the shadow of little one's hand!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photos and I love the tree shot too, very atmospheric shadows. Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow, i just love the 1st shot. that is amazing!! the beach looks like a must see location. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are terrific shadow shots, Pam. The one of the window is my favourite, with the golden glow contrasting with the deep shadows. I can see why you chose to include the two little cuties on the beach!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Splendid offerings on the shadow theme, Pam -- the last one of your tree is inspiring. xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Parlee Beach is such a lovely shot! And the window - I love the lines on the yellow panels. and of course the grandsons :) Lone tree in a snow field is classic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful photos! I just joined in the challenge and am checking out all the inspiration! I love the contrast of the window pic and the dreaminess of the tree. Of course, the boys are adorable ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes...I'm with Donna on this one...Those granbabies STOLE the show!!Hahaaa..... Aren't you just having the Best time of your life? Grans are Such a blessing! But...back to your photos...
    Beautiful!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my! How the grandchildren have grown...so cute! Awesome shadows! The little hand so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome shots! Kings Landing shot should be a card!
    Loved seeing the grandbabies at the beach too :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amazing shots Pam, I can feel the heat from the sun as I look onto the row of snow fence keeping the snad dunes and their location in place . You sure did get a lot when you visited Kings Landing, this is an amazing window shot also. Wee little hands are so loveable, even their shadows, handsome little guys you have there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...