summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

safe from the storm




Murray bringing Marshall back to Mark after his 'walk'.

This morning, our neighbour called to say that Marshall, our son's 13 year old dog, was at his door.  I was flabbergasted as Marshall lives down the road at our son's (he lived here for 11 years), is about 99% blind and 90% deaf.  Thankfully Murray was home because of the impending blizzard and walked over to get Marshall.  I called Mark and he came up to collect him. When I called Mark I said "Are you missing a dog?" (he has 3) and he said "Yeah, I've been looking all over for him and figured he went on his 'death walk'".   Marshall is 13 and failing in health so we expect he could just wander off any day now to die in peace.  Poor thing.  I told Mark where Marshall was and to come and get him.  He couldn't believe he made it this far without getting hit or lost.  Neither could we!  Why does a dog, or any other animal, do that?   How do they 'know' where they're going?  Do they know where they're going?  Was he just walking and wandering trying to find home again?  Or was he coming 'home' to us to say good bye?  It makes my heart sad to know that he could have walked and walked and gotten totally lost and that would be the end.  On top of it all, he didn't have his collar and tags on!   Our neighbour used a belt for a collar and leash so Murray could get him home as he was rather uncooperative.  It's hard to steer a blind/deaf animal.

Marshall at home 3 weeks ago.  


Just before the blizzard started here we could see it coming toward us in the valley at about 11:49 am.


This is one hour later with the wind blowing the snow.  I noted the potentilla shrub which is already almost buried under 3 feet of snow.  We'll see what it looks like tomorrow when the storm is over.  They are calling this blizzard a "blizzacane" as the winds that  are accompanying it are almost hurricane force along the coast of Nova Scotia.  There will be between 10 and 60 cm. of snow falling in the Atlantic Provinces with this storm, depending on where you live.  We might get 10 - 20 cm. here but the strong winds will make drifting bad.  And there's a possibility of another snowstorm on the weekend with even more snow.  Unreal!  

So I am very very thankful to my neighbour for spying Marshall in his yard this morning or who knows what would have happened to him in this blizzard.  I don't even want to think about it.  If you have a pet then you know how I feel.

Marshall in May 2012,  where he loves to be.

I am very thankful that Marshall is home and safe from the storm.

Blessings,

Pamela

29 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I bet he was coming to see you! He's a sweet old fellow, I am so glad that Marshall was found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certInly get your share of drama what with wild weather and wandering dogs! Pleased he was found in time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, poor Marshall. So glad he was found before anything happened. Its a good day to just stay in and be warm! Not a day to be out "wandering"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart sank as I read this and was happy to hear Marshall is safe at home . Animals other senses kick in Marshall's sense of smell was his guide ! I have been watching the weather network and saw that you guys are getting slammed with snow , every time they mention the east coast I always hope and pray all my blogger friends over that way will be safe . . Hope spring shows up soon there for you it is iffy here but they say as of next week they say the temps will be as they should be for this time of year WOOHOO !!! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so thankful this poor darling was found safe. I worry so much about things like this. I know you must wish for sunny spring days. I hope Marshall is now resting by a warm fireplace.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh poor Marshall but a great ending to this story. You must be very hardy folk living where you do and doing well in these storms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that your neighbour found him and recognised him! At least he is home safe and sound now. Hope that you stay safe too in that weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, makes me cry. I know animals, (dogs) do that walking away to die. I can't bare to think of it. Thank goodness the neighbor found Marshall . . . I hope he'll stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that Marshall is safe at home. Animal instincts are strong and beyond understanding. Stay warm and safe. What a storm. It's all over the news here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky to have a caring neighbour and to save Marshall from that storm. I do hope he is feeling a bit more settled. Keep safe and give Marshall a huge hug xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you are having another big storm! Wow. You are patient, but what else can you be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that Marshall is safe thanks to a good neighbour.
    Your blizzacane sounds awful and I'm hoping you all stay safe and wait it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marshall was amazing to do that Pamela - and thankfully he did it ahead of that awful weather. I'm so sorry that you are getting buried yet again - stay inside and be warm and safe. This too shall pass………..like every other one did this harsh and snowy (for you) winter.

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this storm...so glad that Marshall was not out in it. I'm sure that he was much happier inside nice and warm and out of the frightful wind. I have not heard about a weekend storm. We got no snow from this storm, but the wind has been vile and the cold brutal. Lots of branches down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blizzacane - now, that's a new word!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad he was found by the neighbor and got home safely! Animals do some pretty amazing things sometimes. Winter is just relentless, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm happy this story has a happy ending and Marshall was found and didn't get caught in the blizzard. Take care and stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear. So glad he was found by a neighbor and returned unharmed! Lovely dog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so sad when they get near the end of their life they do some odd things.
    We had a blue heeler who was very old and half blind he never left our house and grounds unless he was going for a walk with us, one day he just left and we could never find him, the yard was well fenced and their were no signs how he got out, it's still a mystery.
    Merle..................

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm very glad he got back home safe and sound. What a terrible storm. I hope it is over soon. Take care my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, another snow storm. so cold lately. stay warm & cozy. i am glad there is a happy ending to this story. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pamela
    My heart goes out to Marshal and you folks too. I have had a pet that meant the world to me, so I do know how much you hurt when he hurts. I hope your storm doesn't bring as much snow as predicted. We've all had enough!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will it never end for you out there? Glad Marshal is home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love a happy ending♥️ please let us know how Marshall fares....
    So....how do things look this morning?
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Poor baby, he is much safer inside and warm. Thank goodness your neighbor found him, and told you about it.

    Stay inside for awhile, here's to spring, and that nasty snow stopping finally.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  26. gosh. lump in my throat. so glad he was found by someone who took good care of him to return!

    ReplyDelete
  27. As one who lost a 14 year old dog last summer, I was touched by this story. I do hope Marshall doesn't just wander off one day on his death walk.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pamela, I'm so glad that Marshall got back home safe and sound. We had a german shepard when I was young that used to go back and forth from our house to my grandmothers, about 1 1/2 miles. He knew exactly where he was going from the very first time. Country road and not much traffic back in those days. When he didn't come back one time my dad found him on the side of the road where he peacefully laid down and died from old age and natural causes. Dogs are amazing as are most animals. Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...