summer 2016

Thursday, March 6, 2014

the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel




The road to the Banff Springs Hotel.

While we were in Banff in February, my son-in-law, Matthew, asked if we'd like to see the Banff Springs Hotel and if we'd like to go inside to see what it looks like.  Well, sure.  We're here.  Why not?  

The Banff Springs Hotel is located in the small tourist town of Banff, Alberta.  It's just a bit of a walk from downtown but we drove as it was really cold and we had our little grandsons with us.

The scenery all around is so beautiful with the mountains and snow laden trees.

The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel is one of Canada's grand railway hotels.  It was opened on June 1, 1888.  You may read more about the hotel here.


This is the Convention Centre part of the hotel located across the 'square' from the hotel.  Can you see the statue to the right of centre and the archway?  We drove through the archway and found a parking spot.  

This is one end of the hotel.  I didn't notice when we were walking to it that it's all joined together by arched inside hallways.  The present day hotel doesn't look anything like the original one.  When the hotel opened it would cost you $3.50 a night to stay there.  Today it costs about $400.00 a night!!


Inside the main lobby which resembles a castle.

The grand staircase in the lobby.

Sir William Van Horne
1843-1915
President of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1888.
He is most famous for overseeing the building of this railway across Canada and lived in Montreal.  He had a beautiful summer home in St. Andrews, NB on Minister's Island.

This is the grand ballroom where final preparations were being made for a wedding reception.  The rose effect on the walls was from a special light filter.

This room is off of another huge ballroom.  The crystal chandeliers were gorgeous, especially the biggest one.  Note the size of it compared to the grand piano.

The view of the mountains from the 'piano' room.

Exiting through the revolving doorway.  
It was kind of fun to walk around the hotel's two mezzanine floors.  There were people dressed in everything from ski clothes, to wedding clothes, to white hotel bathrobes on their way to the pool or spa.  And there was us.  Nosy tourists wandering around.  :)   Would you have done that too?


Well, that was just a glimpse of the beautiful 'castle in the mountains' called The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.  I doubt we'll ever get to stay there but I think it would be fun for one night don't you?  Maybe next time we go to Calgary we'll have an escape to the mountains....I'll let you know.  ;)

Blessings,

Pamela


34 comments:

  1. It would be amazing to stay there are even to walk around and look. Have you see the movie, the Last Holiday with Queen Latifah? I love that movie and some of your photos remind me of that! Sweet hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! What an amazing place with spectacular views!! I'm afraid if I got to stay there for a night, I'd never want to leave!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like an amazing place, it must have been quite the place to stay in years ago and must still be now! Lovely to have a look around and find out a little about the history. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited when I was child, but went inside, today I would be like you…tourists wandering around looking:). It is beautiful inside and out. Thank you for sharing the tour. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the hotel is spectacular but the views blew me away! I wonder what it would cost to have a wedding reception there. Yes, I would have been a noisy tourist and gone in. I went to the website and read a little more about the hotel. It is said to be haunted by a bride in her wedding dress who fell down the grand stairway and died.
    Thanks for sharing photos of a beautiful place that I will never see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grand, indeed and a Canadian treasure. You have some beautiful photos of the hotel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's truly a castle - inside and outside! The Grand Staircase is breath-taking - as are the views from and all around the hotel. Thank you for the photos you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so much fun to see. i love that big center staircase. So graceful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some great shots! It's the most beautiful hotel we have stayed in, with superior service. We got a deal on the room, $250 a night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tour! That's one place we didn't get to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that place is so tall - huge!! gigantic. neat in the snow. so so gorgeous. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a magical place, especially in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I have seen the exterior but never gone in. If I ever get there again, for sure I'll go in and play "the nosey tourist " too! lol Thanks for the lovely tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful! Banff is on my must visit someday list. The hotel looks amazing even at $400.00 a night. Thanks for sharing, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. The location of the hotel is so beautiful in itself, and the building really fits in well, I think. So majestic. So expensive. I've never stayed there, but we had high tea there a couple of years ago, looking out into the mountains beyond. That was fun.
    We wander through the Empress Hotel (another Fairmont) a couple of times a year. I think the hotel expects tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful. Would love to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting! Never been inside the place, but it's such an iconic symbol of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could stay at a place where the chandeliers can be bigger than the piano. Gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy smokes! What an impressive building! The outside looks rather medieval and the inside is gorgeous. The mountains in the background were no slouch, either!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, the majesty. What a shame it is so expensive that more people can't enjoy it. The views were my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh WOW ! Beautiful scenery and hotel ! Wonderful post and photos ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  22. My boyfriend and I stayed there several years ago.....
    We had a beautiful room...on a corner...windows all around....right in the midst of trees and vegetation....
    It was splendid....thanks for reminding me...
    Enjoy your weekend..
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never been inside the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel but I once worked in the Fairmont Hotel in Victoria and I never miss a chance to wander through the halls when I go to Victoria. It's like a trip back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous hotel . . . beautiful stone, interior, setting . . . I too would have grabbed the chance for a visit. And to stay there a night or two . . . oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful shots, Pamela. Brought me right back to my time living near Calgary (be still my heart). This hotel and the one at Lake Louise fit so well in their stunning surroundings.

    [I hope spring is around the corner for you]

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always enjoyed my visits there (but stayed in a less expensive hotel of course!) looking around the hotel, sitting out on the veranda above the river watching kayakers and people on horseback, enjoying a cool drink with that beautiful mountain scenery all around - note I've always been in Summertime, LOL! A wonderful place and I've enjoyed seeing your pics of it in Winter. Not the easiest venue to get to for a Winter wedding though is it?

    As for tourist wandering - oh yes we always do that when we come upon a famous hotel - and they always have fabulous toilet facilities. Couldn't resist adding that, haha!!!

    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  27. I realized about 2/3 of the way through the post, that I was holding my breath because the photos are just so stunning! That scenery! My parents went to that hotel back in the day. What a fabulous place! I'd love to visit there someday - if it just weren't so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  28. HI Pamela! Oh, how magnificent the hotel is! It looks like it was popped down into a winter paradise! It's certainly grand on the inside too! I wonder what the rooms look like? :) You give our tiny eyes a most glorious feast each time we come to visit! I always appreciate your visits!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, what a beautiful place to stay. Luxury at its finest. The area reminds me of Switzerland ... so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always find this hotel look so impressive, and it has an interesting history.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now I see why my nieces son moved there and never wanted to come back.

    She has been twice to see him. He said I am not moving back. I love it to much.

    He is always out in big spacious land. He is a sports guy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, this brings back such wonderful memories! We stayed there on a tour back in 2004 or 2005, can't remember which one. The place is gorgeous and we spent quite a bit of time exploring every nook and cranny. I remember each one of these scenes, LOL. We got to stay two glorious nights (about 6 or seven floors above the piano room) and ate in the formal dining room. Ah, sweet memories! I'm so glad that you got to see it, and YES you need to stay there sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a spectacular hotel and scenery! Glad I saw this post catching up with your, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...