summer 2016

Monday, April 7, 2014

I have run dry



Four deer on the hill one evening.  There are usually a couple of dozen deer around this time of the year.  Just too much snow.  It's been a very hard winter on them.

Well, I've run dry.  I have nothing to show you or share with you.   April is a boring month.  (so was March for that matter)  Everyone else has spring to share and we still have white stuff everywhere.   Except for one glimpse of colour I found today in one garden on the south facing wall.  The crocus is about to bloom.  It was under 2 feet of snow up until yesterday.  Then one foot and late today.  Zero.  Snow is gone from that one spot.  I was quite excited to see that pop of colour.  And there is a patch of brown grass near it too.  But, I waded through 2 and 3 foot drifts, sometimes walking on top of the hard packed snow and sometimes sinking part way down and up to my knees, to get to that spot and I didn't go in to get my camera.   Too much effort.  

Last Thursday evening we went to choir practice and I brought my camera so I could take pictures of the snowbanks and the snow on our rural route.  These next pictures are from that evening.

I don't know why the snowbanks were so high in front of this house other than the plow operator piled it there from along the side of the road where it had filled in from drifting.  This was the result of the snow storms over a week ago with high east winds.  I noticed today that this pile has been greatly reduced, having been removed.

No, this barn isn't half buried but, it's partly buried.  I believe the cement foundation walls are about 5 feet high.  At least it didn't cave in from the heavy snows and ice this winter.

This is the interval where the Keswick River meets the St. John River.  It floods every spring sometimes covering the road which hugs the left side and then curves to the right to cross the bridge over the Keswick River.  There usually isn't this much snow here this time of the year.  It will be flooded.

This view is as we rounded the curve in the road.  It's so beautiful here all year around, except in flood season.  It looks like the snowmobilers were having fun one last time.

A couple of sleds parked at the local eatery.

Along the St. John River.  That is an island behind the tall trees and the river runs on either side of it (of course).  :-)  The river is still frozen on this side but open on the far side.  Soon the views across the islands and river will be hidden by leafy green trees.

Dirty snowbanks, potholes and puddles are the norm.  It's like driving through an obstacle course in some places.  A lot of people have lost their tires, rims and hubcaps from hitting one of these holes.  It can get very expensive.

We had a beautiful sunny and mild day today with a lot of snowmelt.  There is a lot of rain (30-40mm) in the forecast for tomorrow which will definitely melt more snow and definitely cause some of the rivers and streams to fill up and flood and will possibly cause ice jams.  I'm really hoping we won't have any problems with water coming into our basement as the snow is still 3 to 4 feet high around our house.  We live on the side of a hill so there will be run-off coming down through the yard from the melting snow too.  We'll be on pins and needles for a couple of days.  Thankfully we have a sump pump in the basement.  Just in case.  :o)

So that's what's happening here.  I hope I will have something more exciting to share soon, other than photos of snow.   It's getting rather old isn't it?  But, we are getting into some spring weather now so that makes me happy especially when the sun is shining.  And.  I've seen robins.  Lots of robins.  :-)

Thanks for all your visits and comments.  I appreciate each one of you.  I enjoy visiting and seeing what you are doing.  I hope you all have a really nice week.

Blessings,
Pam



39 comments:

  1. I'm getting tired of it too. Almost didn't bother posting, but then I found the aconites and a few green plants. Maybe we'll be ok from here on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at the Herculean effort you made tromping through high snow banks to get to see a dry patch!
    I sure hope it melts for you soon, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela. Thanks for updating us on your "goings on". My heavens, you have a LOT of snow!! Enjoyed your photos today, especially the first one - it's really pretty with the deer on the horizon. We had 54 above today, and no snow, so maybe Spring will make her appearance now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a huge barn! Wow! And I know it's been a long winter and you would like to have some Spring weather. The photos are beautiful though and I'm always glad that you share them. Have a wonderful week my friend! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, just because you don't see much of anything green yet doesn't mean you shouldn't share it. I think most of us are interested in what is going on with our blogging buddies. I do feel for you guys up there who have had so much snow to contend with this winter and from what I gather, this winter has been unusually harsh. Keep posting your lovely photos! Your spring is coming soon! I pray you will not have any of that flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my dear Pam.....hang in there....just a wee bit longer♥️
    Perhaps another Kalanchoe is in order......chin up...pip pip....all that!
    Before you know it...we'll all be whining about the heat! Right?
    Photo archive time.......**hint hint**.....
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In spite of having nothing spring-like to share, you helped your readers experience the long winter you're emerging from. I do hope the rains don't cause flooding. So glad the snow is melting, melting, melting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you may have run dry for photos (even though i enjoyed seeing the snow mounds and scenes!) but i hope you'll stay dry from flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was enough seeing the 7 foot drift on your deck but this is unbelievable. The flooding is going to be a problem even here as it's been pouring rain for a few hours. Our sump pump has been running about every hour.
    I spoke to a friend in Thunder Bay (way up there) this morning and she doesn't think their snow will be gone until May at least. Oh well, think positive, the birds are returning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor poor Pamela! I'm so sorry you're still under the snow! Well, your snaps are always beautiful and I have really enjoyed seeing your snow. The first one with the deer is so pretty and that barn! You just take care and I'll be praying you won't get water when it all starts to melt.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pamela, that's a beautiful picture of those four deer on the crest of the hill, as is that bright red barn against the white snow. You've done very well in showing us interesting pictures, as usual. Spring will come, meanwhile it's interesting to see your world today. If we all blogged the same thing it'd be a bit boring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Pamela, beautiful images:-) We are still kind of half spring but always a threat of snow and freezing until May ay least. Hoping you don't have to deal with too much flooding as it melts. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That first image is almost haunting in all that vast white. Hang tough. This stuff is not even going to last the month. I'm praying with you about the rain. It hasn't started here yet, but we are expecting it. And how. I have no crocuses blooming so envy you yours. Poor little thing out there blooming its heart out and just lucky you were to see it! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always think of these times as the most challenging for our photographic muse...but in the challenge is growth. Looking at things from a different perspective, or changing up our usual subject for something completely different makes us grow.

    I am hoping that you don't end up flooded..it's not very nice at all to go through that.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's still a beautiful area, even with all that snow! We have finally melted, it's raining, but snow flurries are expected tomorrow :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hang in there, it is almost over! The red barn is quite the pop of color in all that white! I am so glad here where I live in Oregon is not plagued by lots of snow for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well you may have run dry of inspiration...but your photos are still wonderful...even if a bit monochromatic with the snow. But I LOVE snow scenes...especially as I no longer live in snow country. I get an itch of missing it, and able to scratch said itch with your photos...without a snowblower! Thank you, dear Pamela!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, the snow is "old" and looks like it...so grey! I am so looking forward to seeing some green in our yard...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your snow scenes- and the red roof really popped out! A novelty for us this year as we didn't get any snow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dearest Pamela......You remind me so much of my feelings when we lived in Maine and the winters lasted so very long. I thought I would never tire of snow, but alas, I thought I would never see green again. I always enjoy your pictures and reading your blog! Stay inspired as spring is sure to follow....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh WOW ! Lots of snow there still . Still nice photos though . Hope spring shows up there and the snow melts soon . We had rain all afternoon and night heavy at times to still a bit this morning but clearing to sun shine and +8 for this afternoon . No snow left here sorry . At least you have lots of robins that's a start . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  22. There just has to be better days ahead. My daughter stood in the back yard on Sunday and it was mid thigh on her - so, not too springlike here either, but out driveway is down to the pavement now which is a great!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love to see all your photos new and old..... It's raining here now and I'm sure it's on your way....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pamela---just happened by to see that you are more than ready for spring. It has been slow in coming. Soon--you will be there. Hang in there-! Your photos are crisp---and it takes us there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know what you mean about feeling dry. I am anxiously awaiting a bit of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now that is a lot of snow! Ours is gone, but it still. Ends to warm up. I know just now you feel, there is just so much we can blog bout until the garden comes. Hang in there. Soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pam, it will melt...and the earth will be rejuvenated!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pam, just hang in there for few more weeks. Notice you said some snow melted. Well it will all melt and Spring will come forth greeting you with pink and yellow and purple loveliness and then green will sprout the lawns and trees. And you will reborn.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your dry run was interesting all the same, Pamela. We don't have deer here on the Island. I guess at one time we had them as well as bears and such but over the years they disappeared.
    Your yard sounds like ours but there are more and more grassy areas showing up. And my songbirds are back so I'm happy! Praying you won't have a flooded basement to contend with. Have a lovely day, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  30. i wonder what the house owner think of all that snow piled up like that in front of their home? i would not be happy. it has to melt & go some where. i guess to me personally i rather enjoy your snowy shots. why? because it is different than what i see how my window. we had rain all yesterday. the sun is out today. but my daffodils & the winds are pretty wild. makes you wonder what will happen next?

    sending ya big big hugs. warm ones too, to help melt all that silly snow away real quick. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Pam.. It is great that the snow is going so quickly but we do wonder how the river folks will make out... Your pics are lovely as always.. Take care.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. That first photo is very nice! And I really like the barn. The red and white is a great combination! I know you're tired of winter. It's been a very long one.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Pamela...thanks so much...again...for your kind words today and for sharing your thoughts. You are so right about being around negative people...they do bring you down sometimes. It's also been a very loooooooong winter which does not help that's for sure. Your photos are beautiful I especially like the first one and I'm having the same trouble trying to find things to photograph or talk about so I've been desperately trying to find something interesting around the house...not having too much success with that either but soon we'll be out and about and forget about all this snow at least til' next winter. I just saw your new profile photo and it is GORGEOUS !!! So pretty ... it really brightens up your blog with your beautiful smile. Have a good night see you tomorrow. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  34. I feel for you Pam ~ we just came out of the white stuff abundance last week !
    Spring finally found us ~ it'll find you too , hang in there .
    I enjoyed your photos , I popped over from Nancy's blog .

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful pictures, Pam! I enjoy seeing all that you can see in your neighborhood. Everyone is having daffodils and crocuses south of here but not us. The sun was out this afternoon. I told my husband that we need to do the "happy dance". Weatherman says we will have a few days of warmer weather. I am so happy about that!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can imagine that the snow is getting old for you. However, I am still enjoying your pictures. : )

    ReplyDelete
  37. That really is a massive amount of snow, more than I could ever imagine, especially it having been there for so long now. I really do hope that you get some spring and some warmer weather to do some melting soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. No, you have not run dry Pamela -- these are wonderful glimpses into your world. I do hope you don't suffer any flooding issues at home. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I shooed all those robins off my lawn to told them to head North to New Brunswick and take Spring with them...........perhaps they did! I do recall a few winters when I lived in New England and we had a lot of snow.
    Oh my dear Pamela - you certainly were inundated this winter, I truly feel guilty just moaning about how cold it was here, we had hardly any snow.
    However, things can only get better for your area soon - hope the flooding is not serious - and perhaps you'll have green grass and blossoming trees for Easter. Fingers crossed for you.

    Hugs as always - Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...